It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• South Beach Diet ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User
    South Beach Diet ???

I started the South Beach Diet 5 days ago and am already so tired of eggs for breakfast. I guess this is the main problem for me. I can handle the monotony of everything else. I've had them all different ways, but woke up this morning and I don't think I can eat another egg. Also, I am so hungry for an apple. I know its ok in Phase 2 to introduce some fruits. Really an apple is all I want. What if I ate an apple today for breakfast, would it slow me down a lot? I feel lighter already, but I haven't weighed yet. Just judging by my clothes, I think my stomach has flattened a little. I do feel like I eat too many nuts. I eat them between meals when I get hungry. Can you eat too many nuts the first two weeks. I would appreciate anyone who has been on this diet and knows more than me to respond.
    Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: South Beach Diet ???

Hi Cindy, I am not on Southbeach, so maybe someone else can help better, but here is my advice....You really should not not eat the apple yet if you plan to follow the diet. The premise of the induction phase of the diet is to break your "carb addiction" and you can't successfully do that if you change the rules. You really should wait the 2 weeks out, and in the mean time try to come up with a creative way to satisfy that craving. This is going to sound insane, but since you can have lettuce and celery (very crunchy), try sprinkling some fake sweetener on, close your eyes, and pretend you are eating an apple. I know it sounds rediculous, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get through it. I also don't think you need to eat eggs every morning. Instead, have some lean meat or LF cottage cheese (both are allowed).

On the other hand, I will refer you back to your original post... South Beach is NOT for everyone and this diet may not be right for you. The formulas I posted would allow you to eat ANY healthful food, and you will lose weight easily and without hunger. Someone suggested that my recommended plan was complicated and difficult to follow, but the fact is its no more challenging than any other plan. As you can see now, any radical change will be difficult at first... you need to find a plan you can live with. Its normal for your body to have cravings, these are typically signals of nutritional needs.

If you decide to stay on South Beach, don't cheat, make sure you are getting enough fiber (from the veggies you are allowed), and consider taking a multivitamin if you don't already.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

I forgot to mention... I personally think nuts are a dieters nightmare, but they are probably quite necessary on your current plan. Nuts are very high in calories and fat... but they are a source of protein, which you need right now.

I have completely elimiinated peanuts and peanut butter from my diet because I find that they are a relatively low protein source compared to their total calories. i find that they do not sustain me as well as other foods do. I now eat soy nuts instead as they contain higher protein, higher fiber, and fewer calories than peanuts and peanut butter. Occasionally I will eat almonds - they are not quite as bad as peanuts.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

It's not really that bad. In fact I know I eat better on the South Beach Diet than I did before. I eat sooooo many vegetables (except starches of course). I know I should cut out the nuts or maybe eat like 10 a day. I do take a multi-vitamin and drink a glass of Green Defense a day. Its got tons of nutrients in it and when I feel a little run down, I drink it and feel better in about 15 minutes. Just cutting out all the heavy breads, cereals, crackers, and sweets this week, I feel lighter. I do intend to continue one more week on the Phase One, I have a lot to lose (70 lbs.) so I need a head start on this as it will be a long and difficult journey. But after two weeks, I intend on eating an apple a day. I will gradually introduce some carbs like whole wheat bread occasionally and some sweet potatoes. But I will do it slowly. I have to listen to my body. When I eat something that makes me feel heavy and bad, I know I need to cut back on whatever that was. I guess I'm really lucky in the fact that I pretty much know what my body needs to feel good, This diet is essential a good plan for life not just a fad diet. Whole wheat bread, lean meats, vegetables, low fat dairy and all in moderation of course which is really the key to it all. It's not going to hurt anyone to have two or three bites of cheesecake occasionally but when we think we have to have a huge slice and have it several times a week, thats a problem.
    Oh By the way, thanks for the suggestion on breakfast. I had a piece of cheese and some lean meat. I wasn't that hungry today anyway, I think what they say about carbs making you even hungrier is true. I haven't really gotten that hungry on this diet. Just tired of eggs! LOL!!

Last edited by Howitt44; 06-11-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Hi Cindy, Just remember that not all carbs are bad - I have to be very precise with carbs because I am a diabetic, but everyone can benefit from following similar rules.

Once you introduce carbs back into your diet, become familiar with the glycemic index. It will help as a guide to the best carb choices, but don't rely on it soley. You must also listen to your body and use common sense - for example, the glycemic index implies that pasta is better (lower GI) than potatoes - and while pasta may be metabolized more slowly, you will never convince me that its better for you than a potato. A potato has more nutrients and fiber than pasta, which is typically manufactured from refined white flour.

An apple a day is a great plan - they are loaded with fiber and nutrients - and you will LOVE eating them - they will become your "candy." I eat one EVERY day with 1 oz of cheese. Also remember its vital that you never eat carbs without some protein. The protein helps you metabolize the carbs more slowly - it makes a BIG difference in sustaining your energy level.

Best of luck on your plan... I am sure you will do well!

Old 06-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

Thanks for the encouraging words!! I took my daughter Chinese food to work today and she wanted me to share it with her. I told her I didn't think there was anything there I could eat. (It was all covered in that sweet and sour sauce, and probably loaded with MSG.) But I wasn't even really tempted. I have had less and less cravings for sugar and junk food than I ever had. I know what your mean about the potatoe vs. pasta. When I eat pasta, I eat very little and loads of the stuff that goes on top. I love eggplant parmagiana. I know this will take time. For now though, I'm looking forward to some fresh blackberries. We have an orchard about an hour away and you pick your own. They are so big and juicy!!

Old 06-12-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    A potato has more nutrients and fiber than pasta, which is typically manufactured from refined white flour.
    Are we talking about whole-grain pasta?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    Also remember its vital that you never eat carbs without some protein. The protein helps you metabolize the carbs more slowly - it makes a BIG difference in sustaining your energy level.
    Is it okay to eat some protein first and then after that the carbs? But like in the same meal. So in 10 minutes time you would have taken in both. I would hate to eat apple with some meat on it.

You know, I always thought my own little diet was best. But it's so hard to stick by it. Maybe I should go the South Beach Diet way as well. I'm giving myself 2 months, if I haven't succeeded in not having cravings and eating bad stuff anymore, I'm going to do South Beach.

Last edited by justme_; 06-12-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Old 06-13-2004, 12:09 AM   #8
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justme_
    Are we talking about whole-grain pasta?
    Whole grain pasta is typically made with 50% refined/processed flour - this is needed to accomplish the texture and shape. Sometimes unbleached flour is used, but often its the traditional white flour. I would still say that a potato is more nutritious than pasta, whole grain or not, but whole grain pasta is better than traditional white flour pasta.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justme_
    Is it okay to eat some protein first and then after that the carbs? But like in the same meal. So in 10 minutes time you would have taken in both. I would hate to eat apple with some meat on it.
    In the same meal is fine - unless you eat so slowly that it ends up being 30 minutes apart!

Closed Thread