It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board

  • Are Muffins Healthy?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 06-15-2004, 05:36 AM   #16
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 1,293
    modert HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOMEGAZZ27
    Thanks again for everyone advice. I understand I have to figure out what works for me eventually. I have saved a lot of your replies to read over again later off-line. It has all been very helpful to me. I wonder if don't count calories will I gain weight because I may be eating too many calories per day? Even if the foods are healthy? I just want to make sure I understand. If I eat healthy and in small portions then I don't have to count calories?? I think I became a little confused. Is there not a right or wrong way to eat healthy. I just want to make sure I'm starting off the right way.

    Thanks all again.

    If you don't have a weight problem, you don't need to count calories. I am suggesting that you be AWARE of how many calories you should be eating for your body. One of the problems with the "food pyramid" (you know - that diagram on the side of boxes) is that it assumes everyone needs to eat the exact same amount of calories... this is not true.

    I am also recommending that you go through this learning process so you begin to understand how to balance your protein, carbs, and fat. As I suggested, you need to do a little math at the beginning, but after 2-4 weeks you will KNOW what to do. You will be able to make smart choices on your own. You won't need to measure or count, unless of course, you decide you want to. But if you DONT go through this learning process, you will ALWAYS just be guessing. Many people are suprised by how much food they can eat when they change to a healthier diet... you might find that the amount of food is more volume than you have been eating. You will also be able to avoid hunger because your body is getting what it needs.

    Regarding weight gain - I'm not sure how old you are, but the odds are that even if you are normal weight now, as you age you will gain. One of the reasons is that the older you become, the fewer calories you need to eat. Another reason is that all the excess calories you eat will slowly begin to show... its not something that you will necessarily see overnight... but it will show up after a while. Other factors that will contribute to this are the efficiency of your body - load it up with junk food, sugars, and chemicals and it will eventually effect your metabolsim - this can cause weight gain AND onset of middle-age diseases (diabetes, heart disease, etc).

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 06-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #17
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    girlygirl11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Posts: 829
    girlygirl11 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    While I agree with some of what jd says, I dont necessarily agree with it all. I do agree that people should be aware of what they're eating, but I don't think that this necessarily has to involve counting the specific grams of things. While this may work for some, I personally find it time consuming and useless. Bascilly, IOMEGAZZ27, you asked whether you need to count calories in order to make sure you dont gain weight. In a word- no. As long as you are eating when youre hungry and stopping when full, and picking healthy choices, you don't really need to count cals or fat/protein/carbs.

    Obviously, peolpe can see what has protein, fat, etc. If you stick with lower fat products, eat a lot of protein-rich foods, and fruits and veggies, and try to limit (you dont have to cut out!!) refined startch and sugars, you should be fine. The best way to tell is to try it

     
    Old 06-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #18
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran
     
    Magpiezoe's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Strassburg, PA, USA
    Posts: 1,179
    Magpiezoe HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Hello, Back to the sausage, cheese, and egg muffin. I agree that you are better off eating the egg muffin without the sausage and cheese. Eggs already have fat in them, so you really don't need to add more fat. One egg is really lower in fat than one serving of lean beef. The sausage is ground up left-overs unless you know your butcher personally and can attest to what is in it. Some butchers will use just fresh ground pork and spices. The meat used in sausage is usually the cheap high fat stuff. The casing is pig intestines. As for the cheese, it's fine if it's low-fat or used in moderation. If you can't eat the egg muffin without anything on it, sauteed onions are great with it....Even a little drop of soy sauce is good on egg sandwiches.
    __________________
    Magpie

     
    Old 06-15-2004, 01:18 PM   #19
    tah4349
    Member
     
    tah4349's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Posts: 78
    tah4349 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
    The casing is pig intestines.
    Intestines are incredibly difficult to work with, hard to store, difficult to find, and not that cheap. Most sausage producers today use a synthetic for casings - either made of collagen, fibrous material, or plastic. You'd have to find an old school producer to find real intestines in use. Mass produced sausage, such as that used in fast food or commercial manufacturering, probably would not use intestine casings.

    Last edited by tah4349; 06-15-2004 at 01:26 PM.

     
    Old 06-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #20
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 1,293
    modert HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    It's still pretty gross - synthetic cellulose or pig intestines? Which is worse? If you MUST eat sausage, get the loose kind (ground and sold like hamburger) and make it into patties. I just avoid it altogether.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 07:39 AM   #21
    euro18
    Senior Member
     
    euro18's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 232
    euro18 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Irrespective of the amount of calories, how can you start a day with a muffin or sausages on a regular basis? Why not some fruit? or a healthy cereal like All-bran. I feel so sorry for your intestines having to digest all that stuff. Many nutritionists say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day , so why start it by eating calorie-laden, nutrionally-devoid foods? Someone said that if u r not putting on weight, then what you're eating is OK! that's not true - I am thin and I could eat whatever I wanted to and not put on weight, but that doesn't mean I would be healthy - merely that I have a fast metabolism.
    Look after your body, and it will look after you.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 08:12 AM   #22
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 1,293
    modert HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Euro, you are absolutely right - the quality of food and balance of nutrients is vital. A common mistake that young adults make is assuming that because they don't have a weight problem they are healthy. Good health goes far beyond weight control.

    Your suggestion of fruit and high fiber grains is a good one. I stand by what I said earlier though - that most people do not eat enough protein, especially early in the day. Eating a carb-heavy breakfast is not a healthful way to start the day. Then again, Its not smart to eat too much protein either.

    It can be challenging to identify sources of protein that are not high in fat. Its not advised to eat eggs, meat, and cheese every morning for breakfast because that would be too high in cholesterol and fat. Most people, however, are less willing to eat alternate low-fat protein sources for breakfast. Examples include cottage cheese, yogurt, soy foods, and beans.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #23
    euro18
    Senior Member
     
    euro18's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 232
    euro18 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    Eating a carb-heavy breakfast is not a healthful way to start the day. Then again, Its not smart to eat too much protein either.
    Yeah I agree. I recently changed my eating habits because I was eating way too many refined carbs such as : cornflakes, pasta, mashed potato. These foods release glucose into your bloodstream way too quickly and a highly refined carb diet has been linked to obesity, diabetes, PCOS, acne amongst other ailments. More protein is a good idea or better still eat foods with a good amount of carbs and protein in them such as almonds or brazil nuts.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #24
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 1,293
    modert HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    My husband had some really bad habits... He would oatmeal, fruit, and a peanutbutter sandwich (a pretty big breakfast) and then go outside and do VERY strenuous yard work. Then he would come inside 2 hours later shaking, practically passed out, having low blood sugar symptoms because he had not eaten enough protein. He could not understand why because in his mind he had eaten protein (peanut butter). I have since converted his ways and he now sees that eating more protein helps sustain his energy and strength.

    The fact is that peanut butter is a rather low source of protein and is especially high in fat. Look at the ratios -
    Protein:15% Carbs:13% Fat:72%
    This is true for most nuts as well - almonds, mixed nuts, etc... Not as healthy a snack as many people believe.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 12:10 PM   #25
    jtu91952
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: western ny
    Posts: 942
    jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    My husband had some really bad habits... He would oatmeal, fruit, and a peanutbutter sandwich (a pretty big breakfast) and then go outside and do VERY strenuous yard work. Then he would come inside 2 hours later shaking, practically passed out, having low blood sugar symptoms because he had not eaten enough protein. He could not understand why because in his mind he had eaten protein (peanut butter). I have since converted his ways and he now sees that eating more protein helps sustain his energy and strength.

    The fact is that peanut butter is a rather low source of protein and is especially high in fat. Look at the ratios -
    Protein:15% Carbs:13% Fat:72%
    This is true for most nuts as well - almonds, mixed nuts, etc... Not as healthy a snack as many people believe.
    JD i usually learn alot from you on these boards, but I totally disagree about nuts. My dietician suggested i add nuts (walnuts & almonds) to my diet. Sure they're high in fat, but they also have heart healthy nutrients. Not only my dietician suggest this but so does most health professionals. Also she said to much protien is not good for diabetics.Can't too much protien cause liver or kidney problems?

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #26
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 1,293
    modert HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    JD i usually learn alot from you on these boards, but I totally disagree about nuts. My dietician suggested i add nuts (walnuts & almonds) to my diet. Sure they're high in fat, but they also have heart healthy nutrients. Not only my dietician suggest this but so does most health professionals. Also she said to much protien is not good for diabetics.Can't too much protien cause liver or kidney problems?
    Hi JTU, Let me clarify... I don't think nuts are unhealthy. They are a good source of many nutrients. BUT - I don't believe they make as good a snack as some people might think. A few problems with nuts is that they are not that filling, quite easy to overeat, often heavily salted, relatively low in protein, and very high in fat. In fact the high fat content in nuts (peanuts, walnuts, and almonds, etc) is a major contributor to symptoms of heartburn and indigestion in many people. Adding nuts to the diet in moderation is fine, but I don't recommend eating them as a stand-alone snack... Instead of relying on nuts for a snack, sprinkle a few almonds on a salad or over green beans, add a few walnuts to your tuna or chicken, or stirfry a few peanuts in with some veggies and rice with dinner.

    Regarding protein - yes, I COMPLETELY agree that consuming protein in excess is not wise (and I don't believe in low-carb plans). But I also believe that if you don't eat enough protein with each meal and snack you compromise the efficiency of your metabolic function. Protein and carbs are best consumed in balanced amounts throughout the day. Following this model, a snack that consists only of nuts would not the best choice. Better to have just a few nuts (say, 1/2 oz) with some cottage cheese or yogurt (balances things out a bit). I personally prefer soy nuts because they are higher in protein and fiber and lower in fat than peanuts, almonds, and walnuts.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 03:44 PM   #27
    euro18
    Senior Member
     
    euro18's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 232
    euro18 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    A few problems with nuts is that they are not that filling, quite easy to overeat, often heavily salted, relatively low in protein, and very high in fat. In fact the high fat content in nuts (peanuts, walnuts, and almonds, etc) is a major contributor to symptoms of heartburn and indigestion in many people.
    I think nuts are very filling and thus you don't need to eat too many of them so they are hard to over eat. Obviously, it's wise to get unsalted nuts.
    They are not relatively low in protein, but provide a good source of protein hence they are included as part of the "meat" group in the food pyramid for this very reason.
    According to one doctor, nuts are cholesterol-free and contain mostly mono- and polyunsaturated fats, the so-called good fats, as well as the beneficial omega-3 fatty acid like that found in fish.
    Studies looking at almonds, peanuts, pistachio nuts have shown that people who regularly eat these nuts have lower cholesterol levels. Moreover, they are all really good sources of protein and fiber. Almonds are also a good source of vitamin E, magnesium and calcium.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 04:08 PM   #28
    jtu91952
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: western ny
    Posts: 942
    jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    Hi JTU, Let me clarify... I don't think nuts are unhealthy. They are a good source of many nutrients. BUT - I don't believe they make as good a snack as some people might think. A few problems with nuts is that they are not that filling, quite easy to overeat, often heavily salted, relatively low in protein, and very high in fat. In fact the high fat content in nuts (peanuts, walnuts, and almonds, etc) is a major contributor to symptoms of heartburn and indigestion in many people. Adding nuts to the diet in moderation is fine, but I don't recommend eating them as a stand-alone snack... Instead of relying on nuts for a snack, sprinkle a few almonds on a salad or over green beans, add a few walnuts to your tuna or chicken, or stirfry a few peanuts in with some veggies and rice with dinner.

    Regarding protein - yes, I COMPLETELY agree that consuming protein in excess is not wise (and I don't believe in low-carb plans). But I also believe that if you don't eat enough protein with each meal and snack you compromise the efficiency of your metabolic function. Protein and carbs are best consumed in balanced amounts throughout the day. Following this model, a snack that consists only of nuts would not the best choice. Better to have just a few nuts (say, 1/2 oz) with some cottage cheese or yogurt (balances things out a bit). I personally prefer soy nuts because they are higher in protein and fiber and lower in fat than peanuts, almonds, and walnuts.
    OK i agree with you. That's my problem nuts do not satisfy me (handful) and then i tend to overeat them. So i stop buying nuts. Anything that causes me to overeat I try not to bring into the house. Such as cookies, low fat cheese.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #29
    jtu91952
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: western ny
    Posts: 942
    jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euro18
    I think nuts are very filling and thus you don't need to eat too many of them so they are hard to over eat. Obviously, it's wise to get unsalted nuts.
    They are not relatively low in protein, but provide a good source of protein hence they are included as part of the "meat" group in the food pyramid for this very reason.
    According to one doctor, nuts are cholesterol-free and contain mostly mono- and polyunsaturated fats, the so-called good fats, as well as the beneficial omega-3 fatty acid like that found in fish.
    Studies looking at almonds, peanuts, pistachio nuts have shown that people who regularly eat these nuts have lower cholesterol levels. Moreover, they are all really good sources of protein and fiber. Almonds are also a good source of vitamin E, magnesium and calcium.
    I've heard that almonds and walnuts are especially good for helping lower cholesterol. that's why my dietician told me to add to my diet. I buy plain nuts at Wal Mart or the farmer's market. I agree with JD that nuts are not filling, at least not for me. I usually add them to my salads.

     
    Old 06-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #30
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 1,293
    modert HB User
    Re: Are Muffins Healthy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euro18
    They are not relatively low in protein, but provide a good source of protein hence they are included as part of the "meat" group in the food pyramid for this very reason.
    When I say that nuts are "relatively" low in protein I am referring to the ratio of protein to calories. If you are trying to maintain a 50/25/25 ratio or a 40/30/30 ratio, its hard to justify having nuts as a stand-alone snack because it throws the balance completely out of whack. You simply will not get the proper amounts of protein or carbs to stabilize your metabolism.

    Sure, nuts have some good fats but fat calories are all equally "fattening" and the fact remains that nuts are 85% fat, 10% protein, and 5% carbs! There are also plenty of alternate sources for the Omega-3s and Omega-6s.

    I am not saying don't eat nuts!!! You just need to watch the portions and eat them as part of a snack or meal.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Healthy diet structure? Advice Seeker13 Weight Loss 1 06-08-2009 07:51 PM
    Gall bladder problems - what can I eat (please help, I'm living off of muffins) nikkilewis Gallbladder 7 06-07-2008 05:31 AM
    I've abandoned "healthy eating" KittyLove Weight Loss 2 05-19-2006 08:16 PM
    High cost of eating healthy StephanieAnne Diet & Nutrition 11 04-07-2006 02:06 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!