It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Too Skinny

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2004, 10:06 AM   #16
    vio
    Inactive

vio HB User
    Re: Too Skinny

i forgot to mention why he should not be using isolation exercises. isolation exercises are not used to gain size, compound movement exercises are used to gain size. isolation exercises are used to create symmetry. you'll always have one muscle that's larger then it's counterpart. with isolation technics you can work the smaller muscle harder so that it becomes the same size as it's counter part. there are three types of people who needs to use isolation technics... people competing in body building competitions, narcissists (nothing wrong with being a narcissist mind you <grin>) and people who have one muscle that's disproportionately larger then it's counterpart. only experienced lifters should utilize isolation technics once they've reached the approximate size they want to achieve. he doesn't need to even think about isolation exercises for at least 1-2 years. just so everyone knows during the evening i moonlight as a personal trainer specializing in hardgainer techincs. cheers.

Last edited by vio; 06-22-2004 at 10:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #17
    Shane S

Shane S HB User

I didn't suggest working out the same muscle groups three times a week, although that's certainly not necessarily overtraining (granted, it may be). It's possible to workout everyday and neverwork the same muscle group twice in a week.

I don't have a problem with weight gainers. I wouldn't want to suggest a limit of 3000 calories, as I've heard of people having trouble gaining until they get around the 5k mark, in which case weight gainers become almost necessary.

The amount of protein the body can absorb at one time is debateable, but I'd feel comfortable up to the 40-50g range, although my point about isolate was that it's not worth the expense.

500-1000 calories per day from cardio is excessive even for those trying to lose weight.

Isolation exercises contribute to strength and size. While compound movements should be the core of any routine, there's no reason a routine should restrict them.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:15 PM   #18
    vio
    Inactive

vio HB User

yeah,you are completely right in what you're saying but it really applies to someone who's has an endomorphic or mesomorphic body type. this guy, like me and the people i train with, have ectomorphic (hardgainer) body types. we have to train differently then endomorphic and mesomorphic body types. i especially agree with your assessment of the caloric intake. 3000 should be the floor. he should get at least 3000. more would could certainly be better, and some people do gain best at up to 5000 calories. but since he's just starting to work out and gain this month he should start at 3000 and build up to 5000 if he needs it, not start at 5000. if he only needs 3500 or 4000, it just wasted money, food, time and can cause health problems. but you are right, he could very well need 5000. rome wasn't built in a day, he needs to start slow and build his way up. he's 6'0" and 150 pounds. it's going to be a long and hard journey for him to reach the weight he wants, but it's achievable. i did it and i've seen others do it. cheers.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:18 AM   #19
    lovinglife00
    Inactive

lovinglife00 HB User

Vio and Shane-
    You have posted such great responses guys. Both of you are sooo knoweledgable about gaining weight. Thanks so much for all the information!
    Lee I must add that I am a woman who gained weight the unhealthy way but I gained it pretty fast. I consumed 2500 calories a day for 5 months and gained 20lbs. I used Nlarge2 everyday. Nlarge2 is excellent and it works! The chocolate tastes best. I have to admit most of my calories came from unhealthy foods but I was desperate to get those calories in any way I could and it worked. I did NOT workout AT ALL and I tried to rest as much as I could because I knew if I worked out I would just work off the calories and I would end up needing more calories to compensate. I didn't worry about working out because I wanted to get more curves like hips, bigger thighs, bigger butt, etc... When I was trying to gain, I had to count the calories of EVERYTHING I put into my body to make sure I consumed my daily 2500. It's important. Well, 5 months later I had the curves I wanted at 120 lbs. In the beginning I was 100lbs and with my 2500 calorie plan, I gained 1 lb a week. After I gained, THEN I started working out to work on the muscle mass. I am not suggesting this method...I can say though that it worked for me when I wanted to get more curves. The problem for me now is that I've become a vegetarian and have lost it all!!!! Oh well there goes all that hard work... :-(
    Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by lovinglife00; 06-23-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Old 06-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #20
    Shane S

Shane S HB User

Hardgainer generally just means needs to eat more.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if calories are unhealthy over the short-term. No need to clean bulk if you're not going to gain much fat anyway.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #21
    vio
    Inactive

vio HB User

i just can't agree with that. hardgainer doesn't mean "needs to eat more". a hardgainer has a completely different body type then an "easygainer". hardgainers have a different ratio of fast twitch muscle fibers to slow twitch muscle fibers. hardgainers have a much larger amount of slow twitch fibers then fast twitch, where as an easygainer gainer has more fast twitch then slow twitch. slow twitch muscles grow at a slower rate then fast twitch muscles and they each respond best to different stimuli. therefore it doesn't matter how much you eat, your muscles can only grow so fast. once you reach the point where they are getting enough protein and enough calories to satisfy your body's growth all the extra calories are going to be stored has fat or removed from the body as waste since the body cannot process them. that just means wasted money, time and food. you can't just expect to eat more and then gain more muscle as a direct result. once your body is building muscle at peak capacity it just can't build itself any faster without drugs. drugs are for people who are to lazy to put in the time and the effort, but that's a different story. cheers.

Last edited by vio; 06-23-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:28 PM   #22
    dalesgirl

dalesgirl HB User

I have to be honest and say I haven't read all of the responses here but thought I'd put input in so if it's already been said,sorry. My husband has always been skinny. Before his accident in 2002 he was 152 lbs at 6ft. He now weighs 135. His doctors were very concern and sent him to a dietian(sp). First the lady said he ate TOO healthy. She suggested adding lots of heavy whipping cream (like with pudding use 1/2 milk, 1/2 whipping cream), extra extra butter, whole milk(which we already drank), 1/2 and 1/2 cream. It could work for you, it didn't for him although it did for me and I didn't need it ... I could be seen on the weigh loss forum now thanks to her..LOL. My husband has tried everything from the protein shakes, to working out and nothing worked and he eats all day long but as I said, that plan might work for you.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:44 AM   #23
    vio
    Inactive

vio HB User

actually dalesgirl, that right. his diet was too low in fat and calories. contrary to popular belief we actually needs fat in our diet. the thing is, some people needs more fat and calories then others. everyone's body is different. people who have very fast metabolisims need more calories and fat in their diet. the working out part of his plan didn't work because he most likely followed old school technics geared toward easygainers. have him go back and read my posts and follow the exercise routine i laid out. it sounds like he's got the diet part down but gaining weight without gaining muscle is just not very good for you once you get to a certain point. cheers.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:18 PM   #24
    Shane S

Shane S HB User

Too overgeneralized. So-called hardgainers with a good enough diet can gain muscle as fast as or faster than their average counterparts, without the burden of much fat gain. Granted, they also start off with quite a bit less muscle.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #25
    HyperMan125

HyperMan125 HB User

This man is not a hardgainer and if he is nobody would know it because he eats 1600 CALORIES A DAY! At 1600 calories a day i would be losing weight. I hate when people say i eat all I want and cant gain weight because if u look at what they eat they never overeat and eat a normal amount or less of calories

Old 06-26-2004, 04:35 PM   #26
    vio
    Inactive

vio HB User

he was 6'0" @ 150 before he started eating 1600 calories a day, then he went down to 6'0" @ 130 when his diet changed. if his normal weight is vs. height is 6'0" @ 150 then he's going to be a hardgainer. cheers.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #27
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

It's better to be thin, than overweight. I would much rather be 5 '11 150 than 5 '11 200. It works on me. For some of you telling these people to eat more & go see the doctor is ridiculous. I'm 33 & my girlfriend is 23 & 5' 9" 115. Do we need to go out & eat a million twinkies & devil dogs? Try being a rock star & weighing 200 pounds at my height. Good Luck! My BMI is not under 20 & my doctor says that my weight is fine. When I was married years ago I weighed 170 & felt like junk. I have been 138 back in the "Hair Band" Days. Did I feel cold or anything like all of this B.S. that some of you are saying? No. The #1 killer is still heart disease & that happens more often in the obese. Let us thin people be thin.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:27 AM   #28
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

I vote to stay lean and stay active.

If Jason is happy eating about 1600 calories and it provides enough energy for a good exercise program and a weight maintenance of 150# he's a lucky man and shouldn't fight to throw extra weight on by force feeding. I'll bet if they stacked up all the 6 footers who weigh 150# agains those who weigh 200#, the health benefits of the low weight would be screamingly apparent!

Lee,
    Enjoy working out with him and soak up all the cardio healthy benefits of the aerobics.

Old 09-19-2004, 04:09 PM   #29
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I have been very skinny most of my life up until I got to be about 30. I always thought I was just naturally thin and I think part of it is that. One thing that I started to notice is whenever I would go out with others say for lunch at a buffet or something like that everyone else ate twice as much as me. I would fill my plate once and could barely eat it and everyone else would pile it on and eat two plates. I know I have been skinny all of my life because of not eating enough. I just did not have the desire to eat a lot. I am 5' 7" and back when I was really skinny I weighed 110 about on average and that was when I was trying to gain weight with weight gainers. I also used weight training to gain weight and the scale went up a litle but I still looked really skinny because I lifted weights 3 times a week. When I cut back to 2 times a week I gained about 10 lbs. I was up as high as 135 lbs. about a year ago. I think because of just being older I am 34 now. I also like food more now and like to eat. I am down at 122 right now and I think that is a good weight for me but would not want to weigh any less then that. I notice that the more bread and nuts I eat the more weight I put on. Another thing that has made my weight low is avoiding junk food like candy bars and lots of sugar. They just make me feel sick. So basically from someone who has gained weight I would say lifting weights just twice a week is good and heavy weights. The weight gain shakes taste terrible with water. You have to have milk and even then they taste gross. I drank them for 10 years every day and I would say I took me a year to get used to them and not gag. I would just slam them and try not to taste them. For the woman the same applies except doing aerobics and yoga too much will definately make it harder to gain weight. Limit the amount you do. Skinny people do need exercise too even aerobics. The plain truth though is you both need to eat more. If you cannot say for example eat an entire hamburger when you go out. Bring the rest home and finish it later. I have always had a hard time eating a huge amount all at once too. When I sit down at night and I cannot finish my food I cover it and put it in the fridge and then finish say a half hour later. I think I also have gained weight because I have read so much about nutrition and how we need nutritional foods in our diet each day that I will sit and think did I have bread today or did I have nuts today did I have a veggie or fruit and dairy. I end up trying to get all of my food groups in and usually in that process I end up eating more and having more calories. Eating is not just about getting enough calories it's also eating for your nutritional needs. Start reading about nutrition.

Closed Thread