It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Experiences with quitting SUGAR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Question Experiences with quitting SUGAR

Hi everyone,
    I want to quit sugar and start a Candida diet. For those of you that have cut sugar out of your diets completely, how difficult was it? Did you withdrawal? How long did your "sugar withdrawal" symptoms last if you had them? Last time I tried to stop eating sugar, I was so nauseous I had to give in.
    Thanks,
    Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Experiences with quitting SUGAR

Solstice,
    Sugar is easy to cut out without symptoms. If you go the full carb elimination (<20g), you'll get a couple weeks of daily headaches (Tylenol works) but if you continue eating starches, you won't feel any pain.

I'm not a cadida "believer" except in cases of proven cadidiasis, but cutting out sugars from your diet is an otherwise ALL-GOOD approach...NO DRAWBACKS at all.
    The hard part comes from breaking old habits. THAT'S always tough!

Last edited by zip2play; 06-21-2004 at 05:04 AM.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solstice1221
    Hi everyone,
    I want to quit sugar and start a Candida diet. For those of you that have cut sugar out of your diets completely, how difficult was it? Did you withdrawal? How long did your "sugar withdrawal" symptoms last if you had them? Last time I tried to stop eating sugar, I was so nauseous I had to give in.
    Thanks,
    Katalina
    Hi Katalina, Did you ever attempt the elimination diet? I remember that a few months back you suspected you either had hypoglycemia or food allergies. Are you still having bad symptoms? Regardless of what may be causing symptoms, cutting out sugar will ultimately help you. Are you trying to cut carbs altogether, or just sweets? A Candida diet can be helpful but is extremely difficult to follow.

The best thing you can do to avoid symptoms as you wean yourself off sugar is to make effort to maintain your blood glucose levels consistantly throughout the day. I think you have a glucometer, don't you? What typically causes sugar cravings and/or related symptoms is when your glucose level drops dramatically several hours after you have eaten. The trick to avoiding these symptoms is to prevent that from happening by eating more complex carbs, more often, accompanied by protein.

On a typical candida diet they will tell you no white flour, no yeast, no sugar (including honey), no vinegar, no milk, no processed meats etc etc, so you have to find the right foods that will keep your glucose levels from dropping. I believe that certain fruits are occassionally permitted (bananas, grapefruit, strawberries, etc) but perhaps not in the beginning. You can also find some yeast-free bread and crackers (I think sourdough is recommended, if you can find it). During the first 2 weeks you should be prepared to eat every 2 hours (always carry food with you) and eat your snacks even if you do not feel hungry. Again the goal is to avoid the glucose drops which is accomplished by eating carb/protein snacks often.

If you attempt a no-carb version of a candida diet you WILL have symptoms that will last for about 2 weeks, and there is nothing you can do about it. I don't think its necessary to do that.

Also note that if candida albicons are truly your problem, you will feel some symptoms as they die off, regardless, even following my suggestions above. Those symptoms are not really related to sugar withdrawal, but directly related to the dying off of the yeast overgrowth. If you are under a doctor's care, ask for a Nystatin prescription to help you through this initial period - it WILL help and I don't think it can really hurt you. Nystatin accellerates the die-off period. I recommend the powder version (there is a powder version that can be ingested, but there is also a powder version for feet!) The powder it is absorbed more slowly into your system so it has a better opportunity to actually work. (its usually prescribed as a liquid) You take the powder by spoon, followed by water... I warn you, it tastes TERRIBLE, but when you feel better you will not care.

BTW - do you feel really sick after you shower? That is one of the key symptoms of candida albicons - they thrive on the wet/warm environment and "act up" when you shower. People with severe cases will compain of headache, dizziness, and flu symptoms within minutes after getting out of the shower.

Good luck - let us know how you are doing!

Last edited by modert; 06-21-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

When I first gave up sugar I got headaches, felt nauseated, felt absolutely starving - it was horrible. All I could think about was food!! But a few days into it i really did feel better, my weird sugar-headaches had gone, I stopped feeling hot all the time, and I didn't feel hungry constantly.

Maybe phase them out slowly. Start of with meals with veggies and a carb and each day just cut the carbs until they constitute less than a 3rd of your meal.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

jdimassimo,

I DID try that elimination diet, actually. Food allergies were ABSOLUTELY my problem. My severe hypoglycemic episodes almost completely disappeared. It was amazing! Now, the only time they reappear is when I eat something I'm allergic or sensitive to. I did follow the elimination diet properly EXCEPT when introducing new foods back into my diet. I did not re-introduce foods that I highly suspected, because I felt so much better that I didn't want to deal with an allergic reaction! When I started the elimination diet, I felt better within the first week, but I had new symptoms. My blood sugar episodes went away along with the strange sensations I felt and all of my other symptoms, but I developed MAJOR allergic symptoms. The itchiness, stuffiness, asthma, EVERYTHING that felt allergic increased, but it was all welcomed because ANYTHING was better than the blood sugar episodes and weird feelings I had.

Since a few months back when I said I was going to start the elimination diet, I've been eliminating foods. At first, I did it all at once like I was supposed to (even sugar, but I was barely eating that then), but now, I'm finding TONS of foods still that I'm allergic to. I know immediately now because my asthma will act up, I'll bloat up, get really low blood pressure, and SOMETIMES I'll get low blood sugar, but thankfully not too often. Right now, it is absolutely impossible for me to eat any gluten-containing foods as I get a VERY strong reaction, milk or dairy, blueberries, tomatoes, avocadoes, red dye #40, SOY, strawberries, and possibly corn. I live on rice pasta, lots of veggies, and lots of meats, but I slowly worked my way back up to eating sugary stuff again, like fruit snacks, chocolate syrup, dairy-free chocolate chips, gluten-free chocolate cake, etc. I just started eating nuts (besides peanuts because that's another allergy) and I'm doing okay with that, but I really wish I could eat a wider variety of foods, as I love to eat and I need to gain a little weight. Also, I"m taking fiber supplements now which has helped me tremendously wth chronic constipaton.

Although my health has greatly improved from changing my diet, I am still sick and truly believe that it's very possible for me to have a Candida overgrowth as this all started last year after many rounds of antibiotics. Did you personally suffer from a Candida overgrowth? I'm really interested in asking my doctor about Nystatin, but I'm scared to take it. I have heard that it does accelerate die-off, but that is exactly what I'm afraid of. I would've tried a Candida diet months ago if it wasn't for the fear that die-off is going to practically kill me. I've read so many horror stories about how SICK people are trying to get rid of this horrible yeast. Also, my plan was to not completely cut out carbs and do the Candida diet, and take garlic along with it, and afterwards, supplement with milk-free acidophilus. How does that sound to you? I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES when you mentioned feeling sick after showering!! I've been trying to figure out for MONTHS now why the heck I would feel extremely ill after showering! I've switched soaps and shampoos and everything. I took hot showers and cold showers and I was stumped. I have to tell my mom that because she thinks I'm nuts because I complain so much about how crappy I feel after cleaning myself. Thanks for everything,
    Katalina (P.S.-sorry if that whole post sounded confusing and jumbled up, I'm falling asleep)

Old 06-21-2004, 11:58 PM   #6
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

joquiero,
    the nausea made me give into the sugar when trying this another time! i think i'm going to try Stevia to help out my sweet tooth

Old 06-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

zip2play,
    It's considered a full carbohydrate elimination when eating under 20 grams per day?

Old 06-22-2004, 05:39 AM   #8
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Solstice,

Well,
    That's really about the practical minimum (and coincidentally the Atkins INDUCTION level.) About as close to no carb as you can get without a fast.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #9
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Hi Katalina, I did experience a candida albicons overgrowth about 17 years ago. It was after I was on 45 days of antibiotics for a severe bladder infection caused by a water contamination problem in the city where I live (which is why the infection would not go away). Finally, after getting a water filtration system I was able to fight the infection.

My candida symptoms were extreme. I was extremely dizzy, itchy, achy (powerful headaches and body aches), difficulty swallowing, and my symptoms were 100% worse after I showered. I did a candida diet for about 8 weeks and I took nystatin powder. Don't be afraid to take the nystatin - I don't remember it making me feel that much worse. The worst you will feel is really in the first week. Then you will start to feel like a weight is lifted off of you.

Its quite possible that your allergies will subside once you resolve the yeast overgrowth. When yeast germs are thriving, they put out high levels of toxins which depress the immune system and increase your susceptibility to food and chemical allergies. But remember that the body needs time to heal - nothing will be corrected overnight. You may find that you can completely eliminat symptoms related to candida albicons a short period of time, but other related problems make take longer to overcome, even if they were initiated by the yeast. For example, if your liver function is somewhat compromised (the liver detoxifies your body) it may take longer for that to heal. Once the liver is functioning at full capacity, you will probably have fewer allergies because you have fewer toxins in your body, reducing your overall "allergy load."

If after a few months you coninue to have many food allergies, you should investigate seeing an immunologist (not an allergist, they are not quite the same!). A good immunologist knows how to accellerate injection therapy so your body starts becoming resistant to allergens faster. Typically, the food allergies themselves are not best treated with injections, but the goal is lower your total allergy load so that you tolerate more of everything. Most food-allergic people have many subtance allergies too. After going through 7 years of injections, most of my food allergies completely subsided (except poultry and lamb????) Although I do still tend to be hypersensative to chemical and preservative ingredients.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

jdimassimo,

Thanks for the reply! That was really informative. I didn't know that you can get injections for food allergies, that would be great. I am sure that my allergies WILL subside, or at least get a little bit better, once the Candida is gone. I was planning on going to an allergist a while ago, but lost my insurance. Now, my mom is going to pay for it. I recently went to a gastroenterologist just to make sure that there was nothing too serious going on with my digestive system. There wasn't, thank god, it's just my food allergies, and I think, Candida. I have chronic constipation and I stuck it out with the fiber supplements long enough (suffered with the GAS from fiber I should say, lol) and that is actually helping a lot. Believe it or not, since I started taking Citrucel everyday, my allergies seem to have improved some. I just have a few questions, if that's alright

1. Did you at all, before, during, or after treating your Candida, take acidophilus or another probiotic?

2. Did you completely eliminate carbohydrates during your Candida diet?

3. Do you or did you take any other supplements/vitamins that helped this along?

4. Were you extremely sick to your stomach during the first week?

Thanks so much for EVERYTHING!

~Katalina

Old 06-25-2004, 04:14 AM   #11
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Hi Katalina, My experience with Candida was so long ago - I really don't remember everything. I do remember what I felt like before the diet, I remember taking Nystatin (powder by mouth, followed by water), I do not remember if I took acidophilus, and I don't remember naseau worsening during the first week of the diet. My primary symtoms were dizziness (very extreme) an awful "gloppy" feeling in my throat (that caused difficulty swallowing), and some upper respitory problems. I think I used the powdered version of Nystatin because the doctor thought it would coat my throat better and perhaps help with the respitory problems better.

I know I did not eliminate all carbs, but early on it was most of them. My recollection is that there are some carbs that are very beneficial in your mission to kill the yeast - grapefruit, millet, beans, rice, buckwheat, and most raw veggies.

If you are not taking Selenium, I recommend you start. This supplement is good for an allergic body - it helps to support the immune system and will help you on this diet. Take 100 mcg 3X daily.

About the allergies - as I mentioned, food allergies are not addressed with injections, but I assure you, there are other allergies you are dealing with that you probably are not aware of. Injection therapy will reduce your "allergy load" which will help strengthen your immune system and increase your tolerence to many foods. An immunologist typically does much more instensive testing than an typical allergist - far beyond the common skin scratches. After they identify the substances you are allergic to, the testing continues with intradermal tests (bubbles under the skin) in increasing amounts every 10 minutes, until they detect a reaction. This helps them identify YOUR specific "break point" and allows them to create an injection formula that is precise so you begin to desensitize more quickly. My testing took 2 months before the therapy began and injections continued for 7 years.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:06 AM   #12
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solstice1221
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks,
    Katalina
    if you're doing the candida diet you also have to give up fermented products (soy sauce, vinegar, wine, beer, alcohol) wheat, dairy, mushrooms etc.

when I first gave up sugar i got withdrawal symptoms for a few days - its rough!! but stick with it, it DOES get easier.

anything you give up, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, love, coffee will be difficult as you adjust to the state of their absence.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Another thing that is imperative to omit is all preserved meats. This includes deli meats, bacon, ham, tec... Also, its recommended that you only use fresh organic (free range) meats and poultry, where the livestock has not been injected with antibiotics, as this can contribute to the yeast.

Closed Thread