HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   does anyone boil ground flax seed before eating it? it gives me lots of energy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/185432-does-anyone-boil-ground-flax-seed-before-eating-gives-me-lots-energy.html)

Rickhard 06-25-2004 12:42 PM

does anyone boil ground flax seed before eating it? it gives me lots of energy

i started eating boiled flax seed with my oats five days ago. i notice i have more mental and physical energy. i tolerate cold better[which has been a big problem for me] and my chronically itchy scalp has stopped itching.

what benefits do you believe you get from eating ground flax seed? i was eating it raw and it didn't seem to be doing much.

i eat 1/4 cup a day.

Jess75 06-26-2004 03:57 PM

Re: does anyone boil ground flax seed before eating it? it gives me lots of energy

I don't boil flaxseeds but I do eat them. I always purchase them at Whole Foods which is a health food store, so they are organic. But, I never really noticed a difference because I still get dandruff which has been a fluctuating problem for me and I'm 28 years old. Maybe I'm storing them wrong. After I bought them, I put them in these containers and after reading about the importance of refrigerating them, I did that 2 weeks after I bought them and took them out of my cupboards. So maybe they went bad, I don't know, but how do you boil them, like are they the ones that are already grounded up for you, they are the ones I use, should I ground them myself? :confused:
Thanks,
Jessicca

edwardthefirst 06-29-2004 05:29 PM

Re: does anyone boil ground flax seed before eating it? it gives me lots of energy

I just started reading up on flax b/c of a hair problem and they say NOT to boil them - uncooked ground seeds are the best. Any cooking takes nutrients out of them ( even boiling!) Also the oil is an easy option - you can just pour it on whatever.

Also fish oils with the flax are supposed to be great. !

vegas2500 06-29-2004 07:20 PM

Hi there! I am new to these boards and I am very confused about flaxseed. I am currently taking 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed twice a day. But if I am understanding correctly the only benefit I am getting from the ground flaxseed is relief from constipation?
Should I also be taking the oil? Sorry for the rambling I am just confused.

Magpiezoe 06-30-2004 02:00 PM

Hello, I would have thought that the heating process might hurt the nurtients, since you have to eat it the same day you grind it up. It's really the oil and fiber you're after in these potent seeds. The oil lowers cholesterol and the fiber helps lower(Some people say prevent.) colo-rectal cancer and polups.