It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• How much is to much water?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
    beebsqtip

beebsqtip HB User
    How much is to much water?

I know the standard is 8 glassess of water per day but i heard somewhere (I can't rember where) anyways that if working out or dieting you should drink more than the average. I even think I heard like 2 gallons of water. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure that is what I read.

I am currently drinking about 1 gallon of water a day. I noticed when I am at the gym I can drink 1 liter with no problems.

Can I gain water retention off to much water? I have also noticed that my skin hasn't been as dry and my lips aren't chapped anymore. I know thats a good thing but I am just curious does some people need more water than others?

sorry lots of questions.

i should have changed by name to curious cat instead of beebsqtip!

Last edited by beebsqtip; 06-26-2004 at 02:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User
    Re: How much is to much water?

you know if you are drinking too much water if you go to the bathroom every hour or so and it is mostly clear or very light yellow, unless of course you have diebetes insipidus and that is a given to go to the restroom every half hour whether you drink anything or not.

RR

Old 06-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
    tah4349

tah4349 HB User

Water retention off too little water is more likely. Your body will hold onto water if it's not getting enough as a protection mechanism. It is possible to drink too much water, but you'd have to really work to do so. And when you've done it, you'll feel like crap so you'll know to stop drinking. Everybody's needs are different, so it's entirely possible that when you're working out, you'll need more water. As long as you feel fine, keep drinking! The clear skin and lips are a good sign. Your urine should be the color of freshly squeezed lemon juice - NOT dark yellow. Darker urine is a sign of dehydration.

Old 06-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

beebsqtip, I don't think its possible to drink too much water, unless the water is not pure and/or is contaminated in some way or if you have a severe kidney disease and have been instructed by a doctor to limit your fluid intake.

The recommended amount to drink for dieting, liver detoxification, or improved health is your bodyweight/2, in ounces. In other words, if you weigh 200, drink 100 ounces of water daily. Its important to note, we are talking about water, not just any fluid/beverage!

Water retention is not caused by drinking too much water - it is typically caused by dehydration, excessive toxins (including preservatives and chemical additives from food), high sodium, kidney disease, heart disease, and a variety of other illnesses.

Water can help your body in a variety of ways, but the primary benefits include increasing efficiency of the kidneys, liver, and digestive track, which in turn makes everything else in your body work better.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #5
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamer40
    you know if you are drinking too much water if you go to the bathroom every hour or so and it is mostly clear or very light yellow,
    Actually, from what I have heard, that is the sign you are drinking the RIGHT amount of water. That's coming from a urologist (among others).

The one case I read about of someone seemingly having "drowned" internally, the person was anorexic, so not very healthy to begin with, and had consumed an estimated 5-6 gallons of water by taking the cap off the shower and letting it pour down her throat.

One gallon is not a tremendous among even for someone who does not work out so much.

Old 07-31-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
    Rickhard
    Inactive

Rickhard HB User

i drink 3 quarts of water a day. i drink 32-40 oz of milk a day. that's it. milk is one percent fat. the water is causing no problems for me. it seems to help my allergies. i ride the exercise bike for an hour. i drink 48 oz water before and after. this helps flush out the lactic acid from exercise. keep an eye on your sodium and potassium. i put a little salt in the water i drink after exercise. i eat lots of bananas.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:51 AM   #7
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

You CAN get into "water intoxication" because of depleting certain of your electrolytes. Sodium depletion is the most dangerous but the body has an EXTREMELY tight feedback mechanism that compensates after just a few days producing a nearly sodium free urine. UNFORTUNATELY, before the acclimitization occurs, sodium depletion and dilution can actually KILL.
    an aside:
    Quote:
    In the current issue of Annals of Internal of Medicine, investigators reports on marathon runners who developed brain swelling as a result of "water intoxication." All had taken in too much water during their races, causing sodium levels in the blood to drop. From there, according to Dr. J. Carlos Ayus, excess water is absorbed into blood and fluid builds up in the brain. Eventually, fluid accumulates in the lungs, and athletes become breathless and nauseated.

Potassium is not quite so compensable because early man had no problems eating potassium excesses while sodium was RARE. Thus the body always tries very hard to rid itself of potassium and thus water intoxication can lower K+ (And many other ions) to dangerous levels.
    I'll make a stab that more 2 gallons over several days, unless in a very hot climate and sweating profusely, is usually TOO much water.

Like all good things, even a good thing like water can be overdone.

Last edited by zip2play; 08-01-2004 at 04:52 AM.

Closed Thread