HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   A good healthy low fat dressing (no trans), hate veggies!! help! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/187363-good-healthy-low-fat-dressing-no-trans-hate-veggies-help.html)

Jess75 07-03-2004 05:03 PM

A good healthy low fat dressing (no trans), hate veggies!! help!

Hi,
I am one of those so called "health nuts" that worries about fat, especially trans fats in my foods. As funny as it sounds, I have a hard time eating raw vegetables because the only way I can tolerate them is by dipping them in some fattening dressing. Marzetti's has a great low fat dip out but I think it's high in saturated fat and is 6 grams of fat per serving so mostly I stay away from it. I practically gag, but force myself to eat spinach salad with my cucumbers and green peppers topped with olive oil and vinegar and still CAN'T STAND IT! :confused: I also drink organic vegetable juice, which I love, to supplement for other veggies. So a salad and a glass of veg juice is how I virtually get my veggies. I know I should include a variety. I like brocolli and cheese or dip, carrots, cauliflower, green peppers, celery, cucumbers and tomatoes but only with like a ranch dip or something. How do all of you eat your veggies? Thanks!! :wave:

girlygirl11 07-04-2004 07:25 AM

Re: A good healthy low fat dressing (no trans), hate veggies!! help!

I dont mind eating my veggies plain, but I can think of some alternatives to store bought dips:

- mix PLAIN (not vanilla) yogurt with some herbs (my mom makes it with dill, salt and pepper)

-mix tofu in a blender with herbs (or get a flavoured tofu and leave it plain)

- look up some healthy dip recipes on the internet, or in "light-hearted" cook books (a lot of diets have thier own cookbooks too...they should have good ideas)

- this is a good one for chips (not healthy i Know, but wiht this dip SOO good); mix sour cream (you can get the fat free kind) and a pouch of Lipton's (or another brand) dry onion soup mix..MMMM!

gems622 07-04-2004 09:39 AM

Broccoli tastes really good sprinkled with parmesan cheese and warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds.

modert 07-04-2004 09:54 AM

I don't mind veggies plain either, but I always make my own dressing for salads.

You can make your own italian by simply combining EVOO and vinegar - no saturated fat in this recipe! Add all the spices you want. You can add a small amount of parmesian cheese but that will add saturated fat. As an alternative you can add a small amount of sugar (or artificial sweetener, if you use them) for a wonderful "sweet and sour" version. My favorite is a cucumber/tomato/onion salad with homemade sweet and sour italian dressing... yum!

You also can make your own russian dressing - mix some Hellmans Real Mayo (use the regular - no trans fats and only a small amount of saturated fat from the eggs) and some tomato paste or ketchup. You can add spices to taste.

When you make your own dressings, you know EXACTLY what is in them... so many of the bottled dressings are loaded with chemicals, transfats, and sugars. Just make sure you read labels when you are buying pre-made.

Jess75 07-04-2004 12:28 PM

Thank you, I will use all this advice! I just want to eat more veggies and not defeat the purpose when using dips, thanks again!! :wave:

joquiero 07-06-2004 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=Jessicca]Hi,
I am one of those so called "health nuts" that worries about fat, especially trans fats in my foods. As funny as it sounds, I have a hard time eating raw vegetables because the only way I can tolerate them is by dipping them in some fattening dressing. Marzetti's has a great low fat dip out but I think it's high in saturated fat and is 6 grams of fat per serving so mostly I stay away from it. I practically gag, but force myself to eat spinach salad with my cucumbers and green peppers topped with olive oil and vinegar and still CAN'T STAND IT! :confused: I also drink organic vegetable juice, which I love, to supplement for other veggies. So a salad and a glass of veg juice is how I virtually get my veggies. I know I should include a variety. I like brocolli and cheese or dip, carrots, cauliflower, green peppers, celery, cucumbers and tomatoes but only with like a ranch dip or something. How do all of you eat your veggies? Thanks!! :wave:[/QUOTE]

Firsly, there is NOTHING wrong with fats - just the right type. Its bad for brain functions to have so little fat coz your body needs it.

And seriously, you're better off cooking veggies in a little canola or olive olive than drinking veggie juice. How about making an asian type tempura 'dip' for your veggies ie soy sauce/little vinegar/little honey/little. Also, how about guacamole as a dip? Or, this dip i just found on the internet

Ingredients
8 oz. Mori-Nu Silken Lite Firm Tofu
1/2 cup white miso
1 Tbsp. chopped green onion
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. Turmeric
3 tbs. Olive oil
2 Tbsp. brown rice vinegar

blend ingrediants

Or, how about blend silken tofu with nutritional yeast, soy milk, little garlic, grated brown rice cheese and parmeasan. Thats about as creamy a sauce as you can get and VERY high in protein and low in fat.

If you check out some recipes sites, ie vegweb, they have LOTS of lowfat, high protein recipes that are very healthy.

Its ok to cut down on fat and be aware of the bad fats, but don't be afraid of the good fat!!

joquiero 07-06-2004 08:33 AM

To eat your spinach, how about sauteeing a little onion and garlic in a tbs olive oil and then adding the spinach. You could sprinkle a little sesame seeds on it too. or for a kick, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Also, I LOVE wakame (japanese sea vegetable) all you do is soak it in water for a few minutes. I eat it cold with a drizzle of sesame seed oil and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.

Or how about, steaming a veggie lightly and then spraying that butter spray on it - just to give it a little more flavor?!

or, you could sprinkle on a little soy sauce or cook the veggies in a little miso paste mix with a little water (like the chinese do)

I steam broccoli rabe and then drizzle on a little vinegar to cut to bitterness and maybe add a tiny knob of butter and a hint of salt.

As long as you're not putting loads of fat on your veggies, its ok to add a little.

modert 07-06-2004 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=joquiero]Or how about, steaming a veggie lightly and then spraying that butter spray on it - just to give it a little more flavor?[/QUOTE]

I recommend skipping the spray-on "butter." Its loaded with trans fat and chemicals (its like eating salted wax... yuk!). You are better off with a small amount of real whipped butter or better yet, olive oil or canola oil.

Jess75 07-08-2004 08:29 PM

Thank you so much for all of your advice! I'm excited to put them in use!!

joquiero 07-10-2004 10:35 AM

You could try making a 'sauce' of by sauteeing garlic in a little olive oil (good fat) soy sauce, stock, brown rice vinegar, a little honey and pinch of red pepper flakes and mixing your veggies in it and eating it with quinoa, brown rice or barley.

You could cook some veggies in a little stock or miso soup. I do this with Kale coz its so good for you but I just don't like it!!

One veggie you should try is wakame a seaweed used in japanese cooking. You can buy a bag of dried wakame at any japanese mart. All you do it put it in cold water and in less than 5 minutes you have seawed!! It expands DRAMATICALLY so only use about a tbsp which will be a handful. Sweeze it out and sprinkle some sesame seeds on it. You can also add it to soup.

I know this may sound stupid, but also changing the shape of veggies makes them more palitable - I love to julienne a variety of veggies and then stir fry them or add mayonaise made out of tofu (high in protein, low in carbs/fat) - helps to disguise the fact that they're veggies.

also, get a variety. Find a grocery store that has a really good selection. I've recently been going to (i think its called) Associated Supermarket coz they have the most amazingly fresh and varied selection. I try to pick up a different veggie every time just to try it. And I often ask friends how they cook their vegies just for some ideas.

Remember oil IS ok, as long as its the right type (ie olive)

joquiero 07-10-2004 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=jdimassimo]I recommend skipping the spray-on "butter." Its loaded with trans fat and chemicals (its like eating salted wax... yuk!). You are better off with a small amount of real whipped butter or better yet, olive oil or canola oil.[/QUOTE]
Actually I use REAL butter (the european type that taste divine!! ) haha. I use a tiny about though so its not a problem. Though usually, asparagus doesn't need anything but a light steaming. Never even tried the spray butter, but it seems like a lot of people like it.

Lady_Raven 07-11-2004 03:40 PM

I was the same way Jessicca (by the way my name is also jessica). I LOVE veggies in dip but only when the veggies are dipped in some fattening, transfatty dressing. Anyway, I know you said you hate oil/vinegar dressings and I used to as well until I found a really awesome recipe for one. It took me a while to get used to is as opposed to ranch salad dressings but now I love it!

Get a pot and in it put
2 cups canola oil (or any light oil that is low in saturated fat)
1/2 cup vinegar (although I use just a bit more)
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs dry mustard
4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

I believe it's a homemade recipe for italian salad dressing but I don't think it tastes much like italian. It does however help me eat my veggies and it tastes wonderful on cucumber and tomato salads!

csoar2004 07-11-2004 06:26 PM

Here's a lovely "dip" for dipping veggies or as a sauce (it's GREAT on chicken, fish, etc.):

1 sweet red pepper, quartered with top, seeds, membrane removed. Place pepper cut sides down on cookie sheet and broil in oven until pepper turns black (10-15 minutes). Let cool.

When pepper is cool enough to handle, peel off charred skin and discard. Place pepper in food processor or blender and add:

2 Tablespoons oil (extra virgin olive, or rice bran oil)
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp basil
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (or cilantro)
1 tsp lemon or lime juice.

Blend smooth. Voila! You have just made one of the best sauces on the planet: Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. Delicious AND good for you! ;)