It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Aspartame Caffeine Withdrawal - moved to Diet and Nutrition

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
    Kam131

Kam131 HB User
    Question Aspartame Caffeine Withdrawal

I recently gave up drinking caffeine a month ago, as I used to drink at least 2L of Diet Coke everyday until my body finally went into shock... (anxiety, vertigo, dizziness, light-headedness, etc.)

However, unlike the last time I tried to quit, I am NOT experiencing migrain headaches or any other sort of symtoms associated w/ caffeine withdrawal. Instead, I have these bouts of anxiety, dizziness, and tension headaches that come and go in waves. Also walking around in a constant fog.

I was wondering if anyone knows or has any idea why I don't have any of the common migraine headaches associated with caffeine withdrawal. Could I have damaged my brain w/ the aspartame & artificial sweetner? And will this ever go away? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
    Re: Aspartame Caffeine Withdrawal

I don't know... but I do the same thing you WERE doing. I drink about 12, 12oz Diet Dr. Pep's a day... And stopped when I got preg w/all three kids. Had bad withdrawals the first three days... then they went away, except for the tiredness. How long has it been?

Old 07-04-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
    nasor

nasor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kam131
    Could I have damaged my brain w/ the aspartame & artificial sweetner? And will this ever go away? Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Aspartame is probably the most throughly-tested food additive in history, and there is no reason to believe that it's dangerous to humans. There have been over one hundred clinical studies.

I'm sorry that you're having headaches etc, but it's very unlikely that aspartame is the cause.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:57 AM   #4
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasor
    Aspartame is probably the most throughly-tested food additive in history, and there is no reason to believe that it's dangerous to humans. There have been over one hundred clinical studies.

I'm sorry that you're having headaches etc, but it's very unlikely that aspartame is the cause.
    Do you realize how many people have allergies to aspartame??? Its VERY common! Just because its been tested as "safe" does not mean people don't have reactions to it.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kam131
    I recently gave up drinking caffeine a month ago, as I used to drink at least 2L of Diet Coke everyday until my body finally went into shock... (anxiety, vertigo, dizziness, light-headedness, etc.)

However, unlike the last time I tried to quit, I am NOT experiencing migrain headaches or any other sort of symtoms associated w/ caffeine withdrawal. Instead, I have these bouts of anxiety, dizziness, and tension headaches that come and go in waves. Also walking around in a constant fog.

I was wondering if anyone knows or has any idea why I don't have any of the common migraine headaches associated with caffeine withdrawal. Could I have damaged my brain w/ the aspartame & artificial sweetner? And will this ever go away? Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Kam, I doubt you have brain damage from too much caffeine or aspartame. But allergy and withdrawal symptoms are not always consistent - they can be influenced by other aspects of your health. Its great that you are not experiencing migraines, but the other symptoms are concerning.

How long have you been experiencing the dizziness, fog, and anxiety? These symptoms are commonly associated with some other metabolic conditions... what else has changed in your diet? It could be a coincidence that this is happening at the same time you gave up caffeine and aspartame, or omitting them could have triggered another problem. You say the symptoms come in waves throughout the day... you really need to keep track of when these symptoms occur - expecially relative to when and what you eat. If you can keep track of your food intake for 1 or 2 days I might be able to help you figure out what's going on. This means writing down everything you eat, the time you eat it, and when your symptoms occur.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
    nasor

nasor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    Do you realize how many people have allergies to aspartame??? Its VERY common! Just because its been tested as "safe" does not mean people don't have reactions to it.
    No scientific study (and there have been many) has ever demonstrated that aspartame allergies exist. It appears to be nothing more than a placebo effect. There have been several studies in which large numbers of people who claimed to have extreme aspartame allergies were randomly given either a large dose of aspartame or a placebo, and both groups had the same rate of 'allergy reactions.'

It's true that there are many people who are just sure that they have aspartame allergies, but when you have them drink a glass of sugar water and a glass of water spiked with aspartame, they never seem to be able to tell the difference.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    No scientific study (and there have been many) has ever demonstrated that aspartame allergies exist. It appears to be nothing more than a placebo effect. There have been several studies in which large numbers of people who claimed to have extreme aspartame allergies were randomly given either a large dose of aspartame or a placebo, and both groups had the same rate of 'allergy reactions.'

It's true that there are many people who are just sure that they have aspartame allergies, but when you have them drink a glass of sugar water and a glass of water spiked with aspartame, they never seem to be able to tell the difference.
    You are probably not aware, then, that most aspartame toxicity symptoms do not occur immediately after consumption. Its not typical that a person would consume it and have an adverse reaction right away. But over 75% of adverse reactions reported to the FDA are, in fact, linked to aspartame. And when people STOP consuming it, their symptoms subside.

Most of the studies that conclude aspartame is safe are questionable. In several that I have read, they only examined the subjects for hives and swelling... but these are not the typical reactions! I assure you that for all the evidence you can find that concludes aspartame is safe, I can find evidence that it is not.

Aspartame is made up of a mixture of 40% aspartic acid, 50% phenylalanine (DKP), and 10% methanol. The methanol is converted to formaldehyde after it is ingested - and formaldehyde is poison. Aspartic acid is an excitotoxic amino acid that is not metabolized properly by the body. And DKP - well, lets just say they don't put the warning on the label for no reason!

I won't list all the symptoms here, just do a google search on "aspartame toxicity."

Old 07-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #8
    nasor

nasor HB User
    Re: Aspartame Caffeine Withdrawal - moved to Diet and Nutrition

This is typical of the misleading 'health scare' information about aspartame that litters the internet.

It is true that methanol is converted to formaldehyde in the body and that formaldehyde is toxic, but there isn't nearly enough methanol is aspartame for it to be dangerous. The amount of methanol ingested from aspartame is far lower than that amount of methanol found in many other common things, such as tomato juice or wine. If you're worried about the methanol in aspartame, you should be terrified of drinking a can of V8.

It is true that aspartic acid is an excitotoxic substance is very large doses, but it's also a common amino acid found in any meat product. You ingest a lot more aspartice acid when you eat a hamburger,chicken sandwich, or piece of fish than you do when you use aspartame.

And yes, there's a reason why they put a warning label on foods that contain DKP; there's a rare metabolic disorder called phenylketonuria in which the victim's body is unable to process the amino acid phenylalanine, so they have to be careful not to consume any of it. If you don't have phenylketonuria, you have nothing to worry about. If you do have it, then you have far more to worry about than aspartame.

Last edited by nasor; 07-07-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi,

I'm not going to get into the debate about the toxicity of aspartame as I'm not familiar enough with the studies, but I am positive that aspartame affected ME. I've done several few week trials on myself with a few months in between each trial and each time, I had major negative symptoms caused by aspartame.

Now, to answer the poster's question. I think Jdimassimo is correct in saying that it's very possible that it's something else going on coincedentally with the caffeine and aspartame withdrawals, but I also think that you should wait it out for a little while longer because it might get better. I have never went through aspartame withdrawal, but I was very addicted to caffeine at a few points in my life, and I had those same symptoms upon withdrawal. I think if it continues after another week or so, you should look for another cause for your symptoms. Good luck!

Katalina

Old 07-07-2004, 05:41 PM   #10
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi,

I'm not going to get into the debate about the toxicity of aspartame as I'm not familiar enough with the studies, but I am positive that aspartame affected ME. I've done several few week trials on myself with a few months in between each trial and each time, I had major negative symptoms caused by aspartame.

Now, to answer the poster's question. I think Jdimassimo is correct in saying that it's very possible that it's something else going on coincedentally with the caffeine and aspartame withdrawals, but I also think that you should wait it out for a little while longer because it might get better. I have never went through aspartame withdrawal, but I was very addicted to caffeine at a few points in my life, and I had those same symptoms upon withdrawal. I think if it continues after another week or so, you should look for another cause for your symptoms. Good luck!

Katalina

Old 07-07-2004, 09:09 PM   #11
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    It is true that methanol is converted to formaldehyde in the body and that formaldehyde is toxic, but there isn't nearly enough methanol is aspartame for it to be dangerous. The amount of methanol ingested from aspartame is far lower than that amount of methanol found in many other common things, such as tomato juice or wine. If you're worried about the methanol in aspartame, you should be terrified of drinking a can of V8.
    When formaldehyde is ingested with food (such as V8 juice) it is broken down in the digestive system before it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. The methanol in aspartame is converted into formaldehyde after it has been absorbed into the bloodstream. Furthermore, both alcohol and fruits contain protective factors that prevent the conversion of methanol to formaldehyde. Aspartame does not contain these protective factors.

Quote:
    It is true that aspartic acid is an excitotoxic substance is very large doses, but it's also a common amino acid found in any meat product. You ingest a lot more aspartice acid when you eat a hamburger,chicken sandwich, or piece of fish than you do when you use aspartame.
    When aspartic acid is not bound to protein it is toxic. Aspartame is not a protein.

Quote:
    And yes, there's a reason why they put a warning label on foods that contain DKP; there's a rare metabolic disorder called phenylketonuria in which the victim's body is unable to process the amino acid phenylalanine, so they have to be careful not to consume any of it. If you don't have phenylketonuria, you have nothing to worry about. If you do have it, then you have far more to worry about than aspartame.
    DKP is linked to more than phenylketonuria. It is also linked to brain tumors, uterine polyps, and changes in blood cholesterol.

I guess people will believe what they want to believe, but its really hard to ignore these facts. Its also hard to ignore the reported symptoms that have proven to be caused by the use of aspartame. Most people with food sensitivities and allergies know how to do food elimination tests... its actually quite easy to make the connection between symptoms and aspartame, as many people have.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:25 PM   #12
    nasor

nasor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    When formaldehyde is ingested with food (such as V8 juice) it is broken down in the digestive system before it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. The methanol in aspartame is converted into formaldehyde after it has been absorbed into the bloodstream. Furthermore, both alcohol and fruits contain protective factors that prevent the conversion of methanol to formaldehyde. Aspartame does not contain these protective factors.
    You might be right about this, I've never heard it before. What is your source? I'd be interested to see more on it. I would expect the methyl ester group on an aspartame molecule to decompose almost immediately upon contact with stomach acid, so I can't imagine it being in the stomach long before being converted to methanol.
    Quote:
    When aspartic acid is not bound to protein it is toxic. Aspartame is not a protein.
    It's true that aspartame is not a protein, but I'm pretty sure that all proteins are usually broken down into their component amino acids anyway when they're metabolized.
    Quote:
    DKP is linked to more than phenylketonuria. It is also linked to brain tumors, uterine polyps, and changes in blood cholesterol.
    Again, DKP is commonly found in many foods other than aspartame. A person's DKP intake from aspartame would usually be pretty trivial compared to other source.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
    SnappDragon

SnappDragon HB User

I have been addicted to Caffine for a long time now. I am recently off of Caffine Pop and it has been a week now I think. I need to give it up as I am also on Concerta and Prozac and the Caffine can't be too good for it. I get headaches alot from not having the Caffine and I get dizzy and jittery too. I used to wake up in the morning and search for a pop to drink. I was like a alcoholic I needed that Buzz in the morning or I would be no good the whole day. I have Insomnia and having Caffine in my system doesn't feel good with all of that ahead. I am not sure why you are getting different Headaches but I can say to never gove up and you can beat this addiction. I am in the process of now. Good Luck to you.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #14
    lady_grey

lady_grey HB User

I can not imagine that the FDA would allow aspartame at all if it was toxic. While I have heard that some people get an upset stomach from it, I think as long as it is not all that you are eating/drinking and you follow it up with other fruits and vegetables you are fine.

Old 07-14-2004, 06:44 PM   #15
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

All artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and chemical additives are toxic. They are handled by your liver as toxins and must be excreted from your body. Various people can handle different levels of toxicity - what is tolerated by one may not be tolerated by another.

The question is not IF apartame is toxic (because it is), the question is to what extent is it toxic, and what the FDA considers acceptable. Lets just say you would be suprised what money can buy...

The fact remains that over 75% of all adverse reactions reported to the FDA are related to aspartame and they do NOTHING about it. Furthermore, the manufacturers of aspartame fund all the studies that prove its safety... hmmm...

Closed Thread