HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Are there any vegetarians out there who've starting eating fish? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/188528-there-any-vegetarians-out-there-whove-starting-eating-fish.html)

joquiero 07-08-2004 12:03 PM

Are there any vegetarians out there who've starting eating fish?

I've been a veggie for about 18+ years and recently been considering eating fish as it is SO good for you (especially for the skin - pure vanity!)

I was wondering if any former veggies have ever decided to start eating fish again and would like to know how it felt

Stigma 07-09-2004 11:14 AM

Re: Are there any vegetarians out there who've starting eating fish?

I've been a vegetartian for about nine years. I never was much of a meat eater but even before I became a vegetarian, I loved fish. Since I was starved of protein during these eight or so years and kept overeating on the carbs, I decided that I needed a slight change in my diet, so I re-introduced fish. It felt a little weird at first, but in no time, I was eating it more and more often. Now, I have it at least once a week and I love it. The problem is, I need protein, not only on a daily basis, but at every meal, so I am still not getting enough and am still feeling tired.

Sometimes I wish I could be a regular meat eater 'cause I think life would be so much easier, but I just cannot imagine eating meat. I feel sick just thinking about it, so I will stick with fish and other seafood for now. I think if you start it slowly, have a little bit at a time of, for instance, grilled white fish, which is not heavy at all, you'll be fine. Good luck! :)

joquiero 07-09-2004 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=Stigma]I've been a vegetartian for about nine years. I never was much of a meat eater but even before I became a vegetarian, I loved fish. Since I was starved of protein during these eight or so years and kept overeating on the carbs, I decided that I needed a slight change in my diet, so I re-introduced fish. It felt a little weird at first, but in no time, I was eating it more and more often. Now, I have it at least once a week and I love it. The problem is, I need protein, not only on a daily basis, but at every meal, so I am still not getting enough and am still feeling tired.

Sometimes I wish I could be a regular meat eater 'cause I think life would be so much easier, but I just cannot imagine eating meat. I feel sick just thinking about it, so I will stick with fish and other seafood for now. I think if you start it slowly, have a little bit at a time of, for instance, grilled white fish, which is not heavy at all, you'll be fine. Good luck! :)[/QUOTE]

Did it feel funny in you mouth when you first put it in? Did the texture gross you out? did you wretch?? did you cook it yourself? was it canned/fresh?

llamamuffinmama 07-11-2004 10:35 PM

why not eat tofu, tempeh, vegetarian "meats", seitan, beans, nuts/nutbutters, whole grains, etc. for protein instead? good quality lean proteins, many of them fortified with Omega 3 fatty acids, too. Not criticizing, I just wonder...

joquiero 07-12-2004 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=llamamuffinmama]why not eat tofu, tempeh, vegetarian "meats", seitan, beans, nuts/nutbutters, whole grains, etc. for protein instead? good quality lean proteins, many of them fortified with Omega 3 fatty acids, too. Not criticizing, I just wonder...[/QUOTE]

I eat tofu every day but beans etc are just so high in carbohydrates. Ive been having skin problems and since I cut the carbs its cleared up so want to keep it that way.

I LOVE seitan but it can exacerbate skin problems coz of the wheat which upsets the intestinal flora so I try not to depend on that for protein.

I also eat cottage cheese and natural plain yoghurt which is high in protein. I get about a handful of mixed raw nuts every day (sunflower, hazelnut, cashew and almond) and take a tbsp of good quality flaxseed oil with lignans and omegas 3,6, 9.

So, I eat pretty well, its just protein thats the issue ie 2oz salmon has about 2g carbs and almost 20g of protein. Beans on the other hand are about 6g of protein and 20g carbs for just 1/2 cup.

So, my dilemma is getting the 50 plus grams of protein a day without having to eat hundreds of grams of carbohydrates.

I'm not sure that I WILL eat fish again, I'd rather not but I need to get enough nutrients and protein (without all the carbs) so I can have better skin.