HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Fiber Supplements (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/189775-fiber-supplements.html)

snogal 07-13-2004 12:00 PM

Fiber Supplements

I posted this on the Vitamins/Supplements board, but thought I'd try here too . . .

Any recommendations for a good fiber supplement? Although I try to eat a balanced diet (I drink tons of water, and try to get in 25 g of fiber daily), I can't seem to "get regular". Laxatives work - but are not a solution, and can't be used long-term. I've tried the fiber tablets (generic Fiber Con I think), but it didn't work for me. I just bought Benefiber today - its a powder that you mix into any beverage or "soft" food. It's sugar free too. The bottle says not to consume more than 5 tbsp's per day. Each tbsp has 20 cal & 3g dietary fiber/soluable fiber. Anyone have any experience with this product? Any other recommendations?? Thanks!

modert 07-14-2004 05:50 AM

Re: Fiber Supplements

What types of fiber are you getting in your food? Sometimes it helps to change that up a bit or get more variety. For example, if all your fiber is coming from grains, try getting some of it from fruit and veggies, or vice versa. If you always eat lots of salad, try not having salad and adding other types of fiber instead. Also, you might want to try increasing to 30 grams of fiber.

I don't recommend taking fiber supplements... irregularity usually indicates something is not balanced in the diet or a food sensitivity. Do you take any meds?

snogal 07-14-2004 07:01 AM

I usually get fiber from the following: 100% Bran cereal (1/2 cup has 14 g of fiber), sometimes Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal (1 cup has 9g of fiber), 1 apple, salad (usually lettuce, cucumber, squash, zucchini), other veggies (usually brocolli, lima beans, or tomato), 1-2 slices low-cal whole wheat bread (5g fiber in two slices), Soy nuts, oat bran pretzels.

As I said in my original post - I drink tons of water!

Any other suggestions??

I'm on ortho triclyclen (low) for birth control - other than that - no meds anymore! (I was on an AD for about a year and a half, but I've been off for a little over 4 months). I also take a mulitvitamin.

Thanks for your help!!

zip2play 07-15-2004 04:53 AM

snogal,

For fiber "health" I recommend the legume family (beans, peas and lentils) but for "constipation-curing" fiber I recommend 2 rounded tsp. of sugar free ground psyllium every day for several days. It's fail-safe and once regularity is restored within a week, one rounded tsp a day should do the trick
(A wand mixer helps incorporate it into a diet drink for palatability.)
VitaminShoppe makes a good plain ground psyllium but any of the Metamucil types (or it's drugstore knockoffs) work well...just be sure to get SUGAR-FREE or it's half sucrose and quite eccchhhhy!

modert 07-15-2004 05:29 AM

Snogal, You ARE getting lots of fiber, so now the question is how are you defining "irregular"? Is it the frequency of your bowel (not often enough) or the consistancy (too hard)? It is "considered" normal to have a bowel at least 3X per week and less than that it considered constipation. If you don't go everyday its actually okay, unless you are feeling bloated or ill.

Here are some natural approaches to ending constipation (from one of my favorite web sites I cannot post here!):

1. Eating less meat guarantees easier bowel movements.

2. Eat lots of fresh, uncooked fruits and vegetables, and salads.

3. Drink a glass of water, preferably warm, right after you awaken in the morning. Store-variety herbal teas are good, too.

4. Make a habit of sitting on the toilet for five minutes right after breakfast. Your body will soon get in the habit of an early morning bowel movement.

5. Adding fiber to your diet is easily accomplished by eating better snacks. Popcorn, vegetable sticks, fruit, and nuts are excellent.

6. Molasses is a good natural laxative if you need one. About one third cup will do it.

7. Freshly made raw cabbage juice is even better. Juiced zucchini works equally well. One or two 8-ounce glasses will probably be enough.

8. A can of sauerkraut, juice and all, is a fine laxative.

9. 4,000 to 6,000 milligrams of vitamin C taken AT ONE TIME has a laxative effect. Adding two teaspoons of calcium-magnesium gluconate powder is even better.

10. You can encourage a bowel movement with a gentle abdominal massage.
Generally, you follow the bowel. Begin in your lower belly, below and to the right of your navel. Move up, and then across. Then, move down your left abdomen and finish just above the groin area. Repeat this a few times, and in a while you will likely notice an urge to have a bowel movement. This is especially helpful for children. Do not massage if there is a pregnancy or any medical or surgical reason why you shouldn't.

11. Walking, yoga postures, bicycling and other light-to-moderate exercise is always helpful for regularity.

12. Stewed fruits (such as prunes) still work well for many people.

greenfairy84 07-23-2004 12:58 AM

See what happens if you stop taking the multi-vitamin.Cheap ones that are not of high quality do that to me.Try prune juice maybe?