It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Does Oil of Oregano interact with birth control pills?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User
    Question Does Oil of Oregano interact with birth control pills?

Hello,

I have recently started taking Oil of Oregano for health reasons, and am wondering if it interacts with birth control pills. Oil of Oregano has strong, antibacterial/antibiotic characteristics, and therefore am curious if anyone knows anything about its interactions with the BCP, in particular. Everything that I've read on the herb states that it does not interact with any known drugs, but is this just an oversight?

Ideas appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User
    Re: Does Oil of Oregano interact with birth control pills?

Anyone?? I have been searching the internet for a few days to find out, and have come up with nothing. Really would love any help.

cricket

Old 07-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
    jasmine1313

jasmine1313 HB User

Hi,

I am guessing that since its not technically a "medicine" , rather an herb, like any other herb one might use with food, that you should be fine.

I have been using oil of oregano for several years, and I absolutely love it!! I have not been sick in 4 years, use it at the first sign of a sore throat, cold, etc.

I am older, so not on birth control, but you could always check with your pharmacist if that makes you feel better. (not that they are likely to know anything about oil of oregano!)

My son & his fiancee traveled for 14 months through India & Asia (not in nice hotels, backpacking, etc.) and used the oil of oregano the whole time and never got sick. It is really amazing stuff!!

Good luck! Jasmine

Old 07-21-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User
    Smile Re: Does Oil of Oregano interact with birth control pills?

Thanks so much for your reply. I have only just begun to use it (6 days, now) and I am feeling much better. I actually started using it because I"ve had these odd, red, itchy patches of skin popping up all over my body. The skin on my face has improved in that it is not as dry, looks healthier, and I don't have the same itchy red patches in that area. However, I think it might take a bit longer to clear up the other skin patches on the rest of my body. I was feeling very energetic for the first few days after taking it, however since I am taking a summer course at uni., have been staying up late finishing papers and not getting enough sleep these past few days! However, i'm sure i'll be feeling as energetic as I did when I start getting to bed on time and sleeping!

Thanks again,
    cricket

Old 07-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
    jasmine1313

jasmine1313 HB User

Hi Cricket,

I'm glad to hear you are seeing some improvement in your skin!! I only wish I had known about the Oil of Oregano when I was a lot younger, I could have saved myself a lot of trips to the doctor and a lot of allergic reactions to antibiotics!!

I think you will find that you will not want to be without it once you see how beneficial it is. Wishing you continued good luck!!

Jasmine

Closed Thread