HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   I think it is but is it okay to eat beans every day? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/194073-i-think-but-okay-eat-beans-every-day.html)

Jess75 07-29-2004 12:08 PM

I think it is but is it okay to eat beans every day?

Hi, I'm changing my diet because my lunch used to be a slim fast shake every day, but I think it's time to change. I don't want to eat meat 2 times a day and I almost always have meat for dinner every day (husband is a meat lover). I eat very little meat, and wanted to replace my lunches with beans (great bean soup from Westbrae), with a piece of wheat toast with olive oil and jelly and a tall glass of fat free milk. Maybe I'll switch the other things besides the beans, and was wondering if that's good or bad. I think it's alright but just in case, ya never know. :confused: Or do you vegetarians or non have any lunch ideas?

injured betty 07-29-2004 12:18 PM

Re: I think it is but is it okay to eat beans every day?

vegan here :wave:

beans are a great source of fiber and protein.

Be prepared for your body to adjust to them. I would also add tofu and nuts.

Might want to read the book, Back To Eden, old book so look on line for a used one or call around. Or the library. Great diets for non-meat eaters. and great detox program in it.

Magpiezoe 07-29-2004 12:20 PM

Hello, Eggs or light cheese are cool unless you're talking vegan and not just regular vegetarian. For vegan you could have nuts, peanut butter, nut spread, cucumber sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, salad, pasta with tomato sauce, humus, (humus is made from garbonzo beans) veggie luncheon meats, (peperoni or ham flavor tastes the best.) potato soup, etc.

Jess75 07-29-2004 12:31 PM

No, not vegan, vegetarian. I'm not a full fledged one, however I eat very little meat and wanted some advice and I got some great ideas so far thanks! :)

seawater 07-30-2004 12:59 AM

How about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on raisin bread with a cold glass of milk?

Or try a grilled Monterey Jack cheese sandwich on rye with a touch of mustard.

One of my favorite dishes is Taco salad:
crisp lettuce
ranch style or Texas beans
Catalina dressing
grated cheddar cheese, then broken corn chips sprinkled on top.

Or try a Fancy Italian Salad
Crisp lettuce
Black Olives
sliced Provolone cheese
Pepperoni (optional)
Blue Cheese dressing

Don't know if you're okay with eating eggs, but might try an egg salad sandwich. Don't forget the paprika.

And one thing my husband and I enjoyed was getting a big fat baked potato and filling it with potato seasoning, sour cream, butter, salt and pepper and grated cheddar. It made a complete meal.

zip2play 07-31-2004 06:03 AM

Sure you can and SHOULD eat legumes every day.
Here's a quickie lunch:
One 15 oz. can of beans (any kind but I do black the most often ) liquid and all.
1/2 can water
Any spices you like (1/2 tsp cumin is sooo nice, squirts of Frank's hot sauce, tabasco, 1/2 ounce lemon juice VERY nice)
Simmer for a minute or two and blend (hand (wand) blender is easiest.)
Serve with a Tbsp of minced onions (real ones) on top.

Just wonderful and 5 minutes work!

modert 07-31-2004 03:10 PM

If you are looking for convenience, you must try Amy's Breakfast Burritos. I eat these every day for breakfast with cottage cheese, but it would work well for lunch too. 3 minutes in the microwave and they are ready to eat, and they are completely organic - no junk ingredients.

I LOVE these! my favorite is the Bean and Rice variety (its labeled "non-dairy").

pslam 91 07-31-2004 03:26 PM

I am with you.I know I need protien and will eat lean meats, but I made a pot of pinto beans in the crock pot this last week. They were soooo good! I would like to get a crock pot of beans going every week. The problem is the gas. It stinks a few hours later.

Jess75 07-31-2004 05:41 PM

jdmasidimo, I know, I love Amy's products I've tried them but I don't know they are kind of pricey but quite good. Thanks everyone! :)