It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Sushi AND Alcohol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User
    Sushi AND Alcohol

These are two very random subjects, but I have questions about both of them. I have been trying to limit my carbs somewhat, but I LOVE sushi! How does it rank nutritionally? The white rice can't be good, but some places, such as Whole Foods, have brown rice sushi, which is great, and still others have "no-rice" rolls! Tonight I went to a sushi place and had something called a Monkey Stick...it was an amazing roll with spicy tuna and crab, but fried tempura on the outside and no rice. I still had a couple pieces of the regular rolls, but this riceless roll was delicious! Even though the riceless roll was fried tempura style on the outside it was completely fresh and not greasy on the inside. Is tempura the same as frying? Is it just as unhealthy? Why isn't it greasy? After the sushi I was pretty stuffed, but had an overwhelming craving for Frozen Yogurt. So I went and got one with chopped almonds on it. I sort of feel like I went a little overboard tonight, but it was worth it!

Now about the alcohol: I am a college student and a huge part of the social scene at my age is drinking. Whether it be at a frat party, at a restaurant, at a bar, or even at someone's house, drinking is almost always happening. That said, I love drinking and have a lot of fun partying in moderation, but it can also make me feel gross, fat, and unhealthy. Not only because of the extra calories that alcohol adds, but also because the next day I don't want to eat healthy and I don't want to workout one bit. However, I have not gained any weight (which is what I am most concerned about) and I have been good about eating healthy and working out about 90% of the rest of the time, so, do you think it's even hindering me from being healthy/thin? If I am doing it in moderation (and I am staying away from pina coladas, long islands, and other high cal drinks) do you think it's ok? Other college students have any advice? HOW OFTEN/HOW MUCH DO YOU DRINK AT COLLEGE? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Sushi AND Alcohol

Sushi and sashimi (just fish) are SUPERB foods with or without the small amount of rice.
    Tempura is fried food and in a whole different category...probably more than 50% calories from fat...sometimes rancid if the oil is overused.

If I could afford it, I'd eat sushi EVERY day but tempura only as a "sinful" treat.

Akin to the difference between Roast Chicken and Fried Chicken.

Tempura is a thin batter into which the food is dipped before deep frying.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
    pokerplayer

pokerplayer HB User

I've always enjoyed alcohol, especially back when I was college aged. I drank fairly heavy the majority of the week and I was in the shape of my life. Don't get me wrong, I worked my butt off in the gym, but when it was time to play, I played. I also ate like a bodybuilder and I'm sure that helped keep me in shape. Just monitor yourself and if you see yourself gaining weight, slow down a bit, or work harder in the gym.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

How did you eat like a bodybuilder? What foods did you eat for breakfast the day after drinking? I always feel like I need greasy food!

Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
    pokerplayer

pokerplayer HB User

Bacon and eggs and a couple of glasses of skim milk. I also threw in a protein shake. Greasy food rocks the day after. Here is the great thing about bacon and eggs. Eggs are a great source of protein and amino acids. There is no negative heart problems with an egg or two a day. Some will still say that eggs are evil, but I don't believe that is true. You can read most men's and women's health mags and they promote eggs. Bacon is not that bad for you if you only have one or two slices. I don't fry my bacon, but throw it on a plate over a paper towel. You are only talking 1 or 2 grams of sat fat per piece after half the fat is caught on the paper towel. I ate a lot of steak and chicken. Protein shakes were a large part of my diet. Don't worry about super protein shakes that cost a lot. I still buy this protein (HST is the brand) that is 6 pounds for $27. I also ate a lot of veggies (I actually prefer veggies over fruit) and took a multi-vitamin. Last thing to remember is that you are young and sound like you work out. Unless you are going for a competition enjoy your youth. Your metabolism is hard and strong and will stay that way if you stay in the gym.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

I think white rice gets a bit of bad rap - yes, its processed, and many nutrients are stripped out, but it is nowhere NEAR as bad as white flour products, where the grain is actually structurally altered. A rice grain is still a rice grain - white is not ideal, but it is certainly not unhealthy.

I agree about the eggs. Eggs are a completely natural unprocessed source of protein. Fat is not bad for you in moderation. And as long as you limit your overall your cholesterol intake, eating eggs won't have that great an impact on blood cholesterol levels. In fact, consuming chemical additives and preservatives will have a greater impact on cholesterol (impairing liver function) than will eating foods with higher cholesterol values.

Old 08-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #7
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks, Pokerplayer...you are right. I am young and need to enjoy my youth. Take advantage of my metabolism and ability to be active. I always eat eggs the next morning after I drink. In fact, I usually have my same breakfast that I have every morning: Eggs and cottage cheese (and maybe some other stuff as well).
    I actually just read an article yesterday about a couple studies that have been done that prove that, not only does alcohol not contribute to weight gain, it actually proved to REDUCE weight in many women (not men) in the study. Bizarre!
    Anyway, thanks for your advice!
    PS-what sort of cardio did you do in the gym?

Old 08-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
    pokerplayer

pokerplayer HB User

I firmly believe in high intense cardio. I will either get on the eliptical or bike and do a 4 minute warm up. I will then hit it as hard as I can for 16-20 minutes. I also enjoy doing cardio outside. I'll sprint for like 40 yards and then rest for a minute or two. Do this for about 20 minutes. The thing about cardio is that you burn calories for up to 3 hours after a high intense cardio. This is where the real benefit is, not during the actual cardio session. An average intense workout for 40 minutes will burn calories for about 45 minutes after the cardio session.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
    heymillie2
    (female)

heymillie2 HB User

<<HOW OFTEN/HOW MUCH DO YOU DRINK AT COLLEGE? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.>>

Okay, I dont drink very often, then again I attend a jr college that is 10 mins away from my house, live with family still, and my boyfriend doesnt drink all that much either. However, I just started the atkins diet last week and wanted something to drink. So I looked at the low carb selection. It seemed that there were some options finally out there. I've only tried one of the low carb Bicardi Black Cherry's and for me I thought it was great and it only had under 100 calories and 2.6 carbs. Hope that helps a bit, good luck in school.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks, Heymillie- Also, a plain old rum and diet coke, vodka and diet tonic water, or any hard alcohol with a diet mixer is "low carb" and "low cal". I just got this BAJA BOB'S SUGAR FREE MARGARITA MIX. It's like diet margarita mix and it tastes great!

I try and stay away from those EXTREMELY sugary drinks like Pina Coladas, strawberry daquiris, and even long islands!

Old 08-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

LS, try to increase your water when you're consuming alcohol, part of why you feel so crappy the next day is dehydration. For every alcoholic drink try to get 8oz of water in; you should notice you feel better the next day.

Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 08-18-2004 at 10:52 AM.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #12
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

Yes, this definitely helps. I try and drink a lot of water before going to bed. I always crave guacamole the next day! Is that weird?

Closed Thread