It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• started a diet, now i have a headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2004, 12:03 AM   #1
    luv4adonai

luv4adonai HB User
    started a diet, now i have a headache

i started my new diet on monday and for the past few days i've only been eating veggies, nuts, beans, wheat (bread), some meats (turkey and ham), and have only been drinking water. i've started eating breakfast (a bowl of fiber one cereal in fat free milk), i eat a small snack before lunch (nuts or a little bit of peanut butter), i'll have a sandwich at lunch (1 slice of ham, turkey, and fat free american cheese on wheat w/ a little bit of mustard, or tuna), then for dinner i'll have vegetarian chili, or another bowl of cereal, or another sandwich. as for exercise, i jog two miles a day and lift some weights.

ever since i started this diet, i've had a mild headache and i'm wondering why? what am i doing wrong? should i be eating more? adding something else to my diet? it's not a unbearable headache...just annoying. is it my body just trying to get used to this new lifestyle? please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 06:36 AM   #2
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: started a diet, now i have a headache

You might very well be going through detoxification - if you have eliminated junk from your diet and cut down on chemical additives and preservatives. I recommend you wait it out for a total of 7 days. Then, if you still have a headache, see your doctor.

Are you sure you are eating enough calories? Its really important that you do.

Last edited by modert; 08-19-2004 at 06:37 AM.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:40 AM   #3
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

One more thing, are you eating deli-style turkey and ham? That may cause problems for you... they have lots of garbage in them. Check with your deli to see the ingredients, and also to see if they have some cold-cuts without the sodium nitrates and other chemicals added. If not, buy some fresh boneless turkey breast and cook/slice it yourself.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luv4adonai
    ever since i started this diet, i've had a mild headache and i'm wondering why? what am i doing wrong? should i be eating more? adding something else to my diet? it's not a unbearable headache...just annoying. is it my body just trying to get used to this new lifestyle? please help.
    You could be losing salts / minerals; water loss when you change your diet with a view to losing fat is very common, especially if you're avoding processed foods, which it appears you are. You're replacing the water by drinking more, but you're not replacing the others.

Headachey to me makes me think "potassium", something you can get readily from various foods:

Potassium rich foods:
    1 can (7 oz/ 200g) sockeye salmon - 1,391mg
    1 medium california avocado - 1,097mg
    1/2 pkg (5 oz/ 140g) spinach - 824mg
    1 medium stalk broccoli - 526mg
    1/3 cup natural sunflower seed kernels - 331mg
    1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes - 290mg
    1 Tbsp dutch process unsw. cocoa powder - 254mg
    2 Tbsp peanut butter - 214mg
    1/8 tsp potassium-salt substitute - 325 to 500mg

Are you taking any supplements? You would benefit from a good multi-vitamin and some calcium/magnesium.

The headache could also be from eating too little. I know that would be too little food for me, even w/o the exercise added in.

HTH
    Nat

Old 08-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
    luv4adonai

luv4adonai HB User

thanks for your responses

well, that headache turned into a full blown sickness...i was in bed with a migraine and a fever yesterday, so i don't think it's my diet that was causing the headache, though i think it may have contributed a little (changing my diet and activity level so quickly and drastically like that probably caught my immune system off guard and it was unable to respond to a virus as well). i will be eating a little more though 'cause i don't think i was taking in enough calories on a daily basis, and i'm going to ease into a exercise regime, instead of jumping right into it.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
    georgieh
    (female)

georgieh HB User

When i drastically changed my diet from meat eater to vegetarian...I got downright sick and panicky.

I broke out in a cold sore too which I had not had in ages. My stomach was a mess...and my blood pressure became a little elevated.

I talked to my dietician about it and she told me to add some of things back into to my diet that I had deleted. She said it was too drastic of a change.

So thats what I did. I added meat like turkey back into my diet plus 100 more calories per day and I feel 100% better.

Its crazy how diets can mess you up.

Old 08-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Severe dietary restiction often causes a couple weeks of head bangers. It's EXTREMELY common on a diet that induces ketosis like any of the extremely low car variants, fasting, or severe caloric restriction.
    Personally, I think it's from the release of a lot of toxins that the body sequesters in fat to get it "out of the way!"

I found that daily acetamenophen (1000mg) at the first sign of the headache takes care of it for the day.
    Stick with the diet and the headaches pass in about 10 days...no need to suffer.

Last edited by zip2play; 08-22-2004 at 06:48 PM.

Closed Thread