It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 PM   #16
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User
    Re: I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cricketchicket
    So, what do you suggest I should take as a supplement, then?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gopherhead
    Food sources of EPA and DHA are found primarily in oily cold-water fish such as tuna, salmon, and mackerel.
    Fish oil, or eat fish. Again, there are some very good ideas floating aorund out there, Dr. Mercola, in particular, comes to mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #17
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User
    Question Re: I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

Excellent, I do eat fish from time to time, but hate cooking it so dont' eat it frequently. So, what you're saying is that if I stick with a fish oil ,rather than the entire Omega 3,6,9 supplements, I'll get adequate Omega 3's without disrupting the Omega 6 balance? What about Omega 9's... where do they come from and do I risk an imbalance in that area?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2004, 12:50 PM   #18
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User
    Re: I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

yeah and, about this omega three stuff..and, fish..how many times a week do we hafta eat it?? I also saw milk today and, it said on it omega3, is that ok..?? thanks guys

Old 09-09-2004, 04:11 PM   #19
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cricketchicket
    So, what you're saying is that if I stick with a fish oil ,rather than the entire Omega 3,6,9 supplements, I'll get adequate Omega 3's without disrupting the Omega 6 balance? What about Omega 9's... where do they come from and do I risk an imbalance in that area?
    Not quite, what you want to do is disrupt the ratio, in favour of omega 3. Right now you've probably got a ratio of at least 20:1 (20x more omega 6 than 3) at the very least (this is the case for people in North America), probably yours is higher (judgeing from your symptoms). You want to consume only (as as much as possible) omega 3 until you can get this back down to where it should be, which is 4:1 (four times more omega 6 than 3). From what I've read you could supplement only with omega 3 for 9 months to a year and still not get this done - it takes a while. The good news is you should notice an improvement quickly; we are talking about EFAs, essential fatty acids - your body really needs them and will use them.

The most common source of omega 9 is olive oil, and the only problem with this would be if you were consuming way too much fat, as in calories. I wouldnt worry about this; you're not eating sugar, much dairy or gluten, you're pretty low carb as it is, so you need the calories. Olive oil is also going to help improve your health; it's the only oil that helps lower LDL while increasing HDL (the other oils, vegetable, omega 6 rich, lower LDL but they also lower HDL, not what you want). Make sure your olive oil is cold pressed and extra virgin.

Quote:
    about this omega three stuff..and, fish..how many times a week do we hafta eat it??
    Suggestions are for 2-3 times a week, but more if you can. If you're trying to work toward a more balanced ratio of 6 to 3 you might want to supplement with salmon oil or some other cold water fatty fish. I'd throw some walnuts into my diet and use a little flax oil or walnut oil in my salads.

Nat

Old 09-09-2004, 04:35 PM   #20
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

oki thankies..i also asked the question about the milk, because i seen some milk today and, it said on it omega3..would that be beneficial..what about tuna in the cans is that ok, like i put it in my salads..don't we hafta watch for the mercury in there...?? damn its so hard..
    oh i also eat sardines in the cans..

Old 09-09-2004, 08:57 PM   #21
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

cricket,

The first thing I'd do is to get a scraping of the skin of your feet and have a lab grow a culture to see if there's an offending organism, a dermatophyte, that's causing your outbreak.
    If there is an infecting agent, the proper antimicrobial can be used to treat it.
    This requires a GOOD dermatologist. Unfortunately too many dermatologists today can be replaced by an antifungal cream, an antibacterial cream, and a tube of hydrocortisone.

My guess though is that your exzema has gotten worse and it is such a difficult malady to cure.

Don't try to self diagnose though.

I doubt that a liver cleanse will do you much good.

Last edited by zip2play; 09-09-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:16 AM   #22
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User
    Thumbs up Re: I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

Thanks so much for your replies...

An update:
    Although it has only been a day and a half with NO meat, dairy, refined sugar, salt, additives, junk food, etc my face has cleared up 95%. I keep thinking it is in my head, and maybe it is...but for the first time yesterday afternoon, I stepped out of the shower with NO itchy face (still a bit warm, granted, but no itchies!). I washed my face last night before bed with NO excessive redness, warmness and flushing (and again, no itchiness). I took my shower at around 4pm, with the first improvement noted. I went out at about 8pm and bought some Omega 3 supplements (not the Omega 3,6,9 that I was taking before). Took two before bedtime, just after a snack of almonds. Now, I wait for the rest of my body to clear up...so we'll see. I'm going to continue on this diet for awhile and see what changes happen!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again, everyone....your help is greatly appreciated. For the first time in awhile I feel normal!

Old 09-10-2004, 07:09 AM   #23
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Good luck, cricket - keep us posted, and thanks for the refresher course in EFAs

Nat

Old 09-12-2004, 10:26 AM   #24
    leannaaker

leannaaker HB User

Honestly, this probably won't be helpful, but it sounds an awful lot to me like you have ringworm or Rosea (there are a few other skin conditions that manifest in ring-like, scaly patches that are made worse by warm temps like in showering).

But I agree with whoever else that said don't try to self-diagnose.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2004, 08:44 PM   #25
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User
    Thumbs up Re: I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

Hello again,

Well...day 4(ish) of the no meat (except for fish), dairy, refined sugar, processed food diet. Things are going insanely well. My face is completely back to normal! No more redness, itchiness, nothing..nada! The rash on the rest of my body is almost gone! I have one, tiny red patch of skin that is about the diameter of a dime (used to be the size of a quarter or loonie), the rest of the red skin patches are either gone, or fading into skin-coloured, dry flaky patches. No itching whatsoever, except I did have an itchy toe the other night which I was worried about, but wheN I woke up the itchiness was gone and the red part also fading.

I know it seems dramatic, but after day four, I am almost "healed". You would never know I had SUCH BAD RASHES on my body...but I did. To those than mentioned ringworm or rosacea...I, too, thought it could have been those things among others, but have been to three doctors, including one dermatologist, who have all been equally confused and ruled out those conditions.

Anyway, just thought I would let you know...gonna keep up with the diet and see what happens. will continue to kEep you all posted...

Old 09-12-2004, 08:55 PM   #26
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

cool beans cricket.. but, what have you got left to eat..???..lol

Old 09-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #27
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hmnn...maybe you have a milk allergy/intolerance then, or a yeast overgrowth. Good luck.

~Katalina

Old 09-13-2004, 05:49 AM   #28
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Cricket, I did a little more sleuthing on the weekend and I'm pretty sure I know why you're improving
    • Avoid known dietary or environmental irritants or allergins.
    • Reduce the buildup of arachidonic acid within skin cells, as arachidonic acid, a polyunsaturated fat, is the direct building block of inflammatory prostaglandin hormones (PG-series 2). To accomplish this, reduce consumption of the following foods:
    • - high-fat meat and dairy products;
    • - corn oil, sunflower seed oil, safflower seed oil, and mixed vegetable oils; and
    • - alcohol, hydrogenated fats (e.g., margarine, commercial peanut butter, shortenings).
    • Replace the above foods with the following:
    • - chicken, turkey, fish, Cornish hen;
    • - 1 percent milk or yogurt; no cheese above 3 percent milk fat; and
    • - olive, canola or peanut oil (use only for salad dressings, to sauté vegetables or stir-fry).

Omega-3 Fats provide the building blocks for the production of prostaglandin hormones that reduce inflammatory activity of skin cells. They also reduce the buildup of arachidonic acid in skin cells by blocking the enzyme (delta-5 desaturase enzyme) that converts linoleic acid and gamma-linolenic acid to arachidonic acid. Examples of omega-3 fats important to skin health include eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, found in fish) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA, found primarily in flaxseed oil). Clinical trails have shown that omega-3 fats can be effective in the treatment of eczema. Epidermal cells are known to be very active in the conversion of essential fatty acids into prostaglandin hormones, which determine, to a very significant degree, the smoothness and moistness of the skin, and influence skin conditions such as eczema.

I'd forgotten that an allergy to arachidonic acid (or a build up) could effect skin, usually it messes with peoples blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Cutting out red meats and egg yolks usually takes care of this.

Nat

Old 09-13-2004, 06:21 AM   #29
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User

Oh my goodness, very lengthy reply and I promise I will digest it all as soon as I have woken up... Thanks so much for your research, though...it really does mean a lot, esp. since I have improved so much.

One question...I have bought some peanut butter recently, and searched high and low for the natural stuff. I ended up buying an "All Natural" peanut butter, where the ingredients list "just peanuts", however I'm sure there is another ingredient keeping all of the stuff together in the container (although it does not say). There is no added sugar,though...that I am sure of. Should I keep using it or not?

Thanks.

Last edited by cricketchicket; 09-13-2004 at 06:21 AM.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:30 AM   #30
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

you should call the companies for that one and, let them reviel the truth..bacuz some companies can be Bas+ards..sorry its the truth.

Closed Thread

« Fasting | Salmon »