HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Ok to overeat?... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/206509-ok-overeat.html)

LS289 09-09-2004 09:14 PM

Ok to overeat?...

Is it ok to overeat if you are very, very hungry?

Today I had a terrible stomach ache after my last class (6pm) and I didn't realize it at the time, but I think it was because I was hungry. I had cottage cheese and berries for breakfast and then a turkey burger patty with avocado, tomato, and spinach for lunch. Then I had a latte around 2pm. I thought that was enough food, but could it have been too little?

Anyway, I went to the gym at 6 and only worked out for 20 minutes because I had no energy. I then came home and ate dinner and realized I was starving! After dinner, I proceeded to eat an apple sliced up with cottage cheese, a fudge bar with crushed peanuts, a banana and a lowfat yogurt!

I just kept going back to the kitchen, but I think it was a result of being deprived today....is it ok that I gave into my body's cravings and overate?

jojo64 09-10-2004 07:13 AM

Re: Ok to overeat?...

No, not really.

Losec20mg 09-10-2004 07:49 AM

i overeat everytime..eyy.. :(

Gopherhead 09-10-2004 08:03 AM

Yes, if you're truly hungry then there is a reason for it. Try having more food earlier on in the day and see if that doesn't help. Having more calories in one meal, once or twice a week, is actually beneficial, especially if you are closer to your goal weight.

If you are not eating processed and / or refined junk then you are truly feeling hunger, and not blood sugar spikes. Eat.

Nat

Losec20mg 09-10-2004 10:29 AM

thanks Gopher.. you really know alot, i am on the gluten free diet and, iv been on it for 8 months and, put on 50lbs..yes well i was underweight all my life and, very sick looking...i was 109lbs in Feb. now im at 158lbs..and, im a guy..so is it ok to eat meat everyday aswell..?? :).. yes i do eat it everyday..mostly for supper.. :) but, yeah im always hungry..Is this normal.?

i was also told that once i reach my normal weight i will be less hungry..boh!

Gopherhead 09-10-2004 10:35 AM

Lose, if you were that underweight and now you're putting on weight as you need to do then yes, being hungry is normal. Your body is finally able to absorb what you're giving - it has a lot of repairs to do and ground to make up.

My philosophy is this, If it's natural and it hasn't been shrink wrapped or boxed then I can eat it. The more processing that has to be done to something so that I can eat it the worse it is for my health. I also eat meat every day; often more than once a day. I try to have a good source of protein with every meal (and I eat 4 to 5 times a day).

Congratulations on your weight gain! :)
Nat

Losec20mg 09-10-2004 12:22 PM

lol..Gopher.. you're cool and, funny at the same time..bacuz, you eat more then me..hehe..but, yeah..no i do not eat anything processed..well yeah somtimes bacon from Maple leaf..it is gluten free..but, there are loads of other junk on there..eeyyy but, yeah ieat mostly chicken cuz i really love it and, veal minced up with rice and, veggies..or fish..all sea food im fine with..
well i have a firend that's on my diet aswell and, she told me that my hunger will change once i get to my normal weight...because, her hunger changed..and, she's been on the diet for like 4 years now..hehe somtimes im so hungry i can eat a whole chicken..with potateos..lol

thank you so much and, please let me know..

jojo64 09-10-2004 12:40 PM

I agree that if you're hungry you should eat. But you should not overeat. The example in the initial post is definatly overeating, not just eating out of hunger.

LS289 09-10-2004 01:16 PM

Sometimes if your body feels deprived your food cravings will finally become so intense that you inevitably overeat. I think you are being too harsh, Jojo. It's not as if I binged out of control. The things I ate were at least healthy...

Gopherhead 09-10-2004 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=LS289]Sometimes if your body feels deprived your food cravings will finally become so intense that you inevitably overeat. I think you are being too harsh, Jojo. It's not as if I binged out of control. The things I ate were at least healthy...[/QUOTE]
LS, in all honesty I think you worry too much about how much you're eating, that's just my opinion and I am quite capable of keeping it to myself, I just wanted to let you know I don't think you do (eat too much). You are active and you need to fuel your body - this is not overeating. Repeat after me ;)

Sometimes worrying too much about certain things can make them become bigger things, you know? You're doing well - you're really picking up the logic behind why you get hungry and what you should do about it.

You are absolutely right - when you do the [I]diet thing [/I] your body does catch on and it does cause those cravings - it wants you to overeat, it's trying to make you. Eating more, [I]planning [/I] to eat more even, helps control these starvation defences by tricking the body.

If you put your hand on something very hot that just came out of the oven your body would send you a signal "Hey, stop that" and it would make your hand move before you could even process the thought. If you are eating healthy (as you are) and you get a message from your body that it's hungry it's the same thing - you are in control when it comes to eating, but your body knows when it's hungry.

Nat

Gopherhead 09-10-2004 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=Losec20mg]well i have a firend that's on my diet aswell and, she told me that my hunger will change once i get to my normal weight...because, her hunger changed..and, she's been on the diet for like 4 years now..hehe somtimes im so hungry i can eat a whole chicken..with potateos..lol.[/QUOTE] It might change, it might not. It's going to depend on your metabolism, your activity, your genes - basically it's an individual thing.

Do you have a goal? Are you doing any exercise? (I'm thinking more along the lines of weight lifting as opposed to cardio; obviously you don't want to try to lose weight ;) )

Nat

Losec20mg 09-10-2004 04:43 PM

hi Gopher.. thanks..heh..well ya i take my bike almost everyday and, im also a drummer, funny huh?? but, it is a good work out when i play cuz my whole body moves..yes it does..i play about 15 hours a week and, peddle my bike about 8 hours...i think its enough for me..but, i must admit im eating loads..lol and im loving it..hehe

thanks Gopher..
oh yea, keep in touch. ;)

i just made a stir fry tonight mmm yum..lol

LS289 09-11-2004 11:56 AM

Gopherhead-you are right. I do think that I worry too much about eating, but it's become very hard to stop. I think that I eat very healthy (generally speaking) and I don't usually overeat, but there is a thin line between being conscious of what you are eating and being too conscious of it, to the point of obsession. I sometimes think I cross that line. I am going to try and change my thinking, but forgive me in advance if I still need to vent about overeating or something because I'm going to need support.

I really appreciate all of your advice and I love how knowledgable you are....

Thanks!

Gopherhead 09-11-2004 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=LS289]there is a thin line between being conscious of what you are eating and being too conscious of it, to the point of obsession. I sometimes think I cross that line. [/QUOTE] I have been guilty of this too, LS. It's changed in the last year or so because I've come to realize that after 3 years of experimenting and learning I've figured out what works for me and what doesn't. I still keep track of what I eat and I still keep a journal but it's more for future reference at this point, but at one point it bordered on obsessive, chalk it up to the perfectionist in me ;)

My advice is to read, read and read some more - and to question everything. There is a lot of crap out there when it comes to fitness, health and exercise, by having a broad base of knowledge you can pretty much filter most of the nonsense out.

And venting is always good for the psyche!
Nat

LS289 09-11-2004 08:07 PM

I guess what I'm most afraid of is that I've gotten so used to how I eat/exercise/think that I'm afraid if I change one thing, all "heck" will break loose. For example, I have almost completely eliminated carbs from my diet. I eat some fruit and lots of vegetables, but I could not tell you the last time I had a slice of bread or a cookie! I'm afraid that if I loosen up and let myself have those things that I will have them all the time and not know when to draw the line and, hence, get fat! Do you know what I mean? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I have a very 'all-or-nothing' personality and I just think that way. Like if I decide to have a cookie after dinner one night, why would I not do it the next night, etc...at some point I have to have some sort of restriction. I guess it's just about loosening the reins, but that's just so hard to do!

I can tell that people are worried about me because I am more consumed with what I am eating and more particular. I don't want to be that way! I don't want to be uptight about it all the time! I am definitely going to try and change. This is no way to look at food...I love food!