It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Diet Coke addiction....sounds silly, but it's uncontrollable!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #16
    viver

viver HB User
    Re: Diet Coke addiction....sounds silly, but it's uncontrollable!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    This amount of supplementation of FREE-FORM phenylalanine is quite common and many people benefit from supplementation.
    As for the oft repeated methanol/formalin internet "poison", you get more from a piece of ripe fruit than a can of diet soda.
    As I mentioned, free-form phenylalanine is obtained from both aspartame and supplements. It makes a much larger change in plasma when taken in liquid form such as diet sodas. It has been shown to cause a significant brain chemistry change and is used by many as an anti-depressant and analgesic and is, for some, addictive. Also, keep in mind that when many people take phenylalanine supplements, they take other large neutral amino acids (LNAA) in free form as well. Therefore, the Phe/LNAA ratio does not change as much as when taking aspartame by itself.

The methanol in fruit statements are just outdated public relations from the manufacturer. Even as early as 1984, independent researchers pointed out that methanol in alcoholic beverages and fruit juices were not converted into formaldehyde to any significant extent because of the significant amounts of ethanol is these substances:

"Ethanol, the classic antidote for methanol toxicity, is found in
    natural food sources of methanol at concentrations 5 to
    500,000 times that of the toxic. Ethanol inhibits metabolism
    of methanol and allows the body time for clearance of the
    toxin through the lungs and kidneys."

"There is no ethanol in aspartame. The FDA and the
    NutraSweet Company know this and their excuse is a smokescreen. "
    [Journal of Applied Nutrition, Vol 36, No. 1, 42-54]

It is not only the ethanol in fruits, however that act as protective factors.
    Aspartame is the only ingested substance that has been shown to cause a significant accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, liver, kidneys, etc. after a relatively small ingestion:

"These are indeed extremely high levels for adducts of formaldehyde, a substance responsible for chronic deleterious effects that has also been considered carcinogenic.
    "It is concluded that aspartame consumption may constitute a hazard because of its contribution to the formation of formaldehyde adducts."
    [Life Sciences, Vol. 63, No. 5, pp. 337+, 1998]

The amount of formaldehyde *exposure* (not just accumulation) is twice what has been shown in human studies on formaldehyde to cause irreversible genetic damage after years of exposure whether clinically-obvious symptoms appear or not.

Differences in metabolites of aspartame breakdown products (and other chemicals in certain food additives) as compared to foods have been known for many years, but sometimes industry PR gets in the way of getting independent scientific information out.

Hope that clears it up.

Twoggle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 06:37 AM   #17
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Well,

That's a new one..."aspartame doesn't have enough ethanol (grain alcohol) to be safe."
    Gosh that BOGGLES the imagination! So some rum in one's doet coke is the safe way to drink it...whodda thunk !

Every single food and nutrition organization on the planet including EVERY country's version of the FDA has studied aspartame and deemed it a safe and healthy alternative to sugar, yet these preposterous internet claims go round and round the world.

Certainly each and every person is free to choose ANYTHING to avoid, but promulgating preposterously unscientific claims to support doing so is a waste of time and bandwidth.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:01 AM   #18
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

Zip2play--

i have taken L-theanine. is that close to the supplemant you are talking about? i took it for a rather large anxiety problem, plus the fact that xanax was the only thing that helped, which i was becoming addicted to. i had wonderful success on the L-theanine, it changed my life.

as for anyone sharing the pop problem, that would be me. however, just regular pop, not diet. i have been drinking pepsi and mountian dew for evAR now and i swear i just want more and more.

i am pregnany right now and i actually only drink sprite as a pop with the OCCASIONAL pepsi. i'll tell you what tho- when i do drink that pepsi, every molecule in my body stands up and applauds!

i will NOT be going back to my "drinking days" as i call it 6-8 pops a day. that is like all of your calories and then some! i was very active and stayed very trim-- how i don't know with all that extra sugar!

i wish you luck hun, i know that it seems to be baffling that we can't kick this, but you really can.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #19
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

nyxin,
    You are probably referring to L-threonine, another essential amino acid...many vegetarians might come up short on it because there isn't a lot in grains.

But no, it's completely different from Phenylalanine, another essential amino acid, that makes up about half of the aspartame molecule.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #20
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyxin
    i have taken L-theanine. is that close to the supplemant you are talking about? i took it for a rather large anxiety problem, plus the fact that xanax was the only thing that helped, which i was becoming addicted to. i had wonderful success on the L-theanine, it changed my life.
    Theanine is an amino acid used to treat anxiety and stress, it's probably the one you were taking. You can find it in large concentrations in green tea - it's unique in that it doesnt promote sleepiness like most meds used for stress and anxiety. It works by helping the brain produce alpha-waves, the ones associated with "relaxed alertness" as it were.

Nat

Old 09-28-2004, 07:37 PM   #21
    twiceblessed
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twiceblessed HB User
    Talking Re: Diet Coke addiction....sounds silly, but it's uncontrollable!!!!!

Don't ya hate in when a good post turns bad? (or turns all scientific on you for no reason! LOL )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twins2sets
    By the way, is there ANYONE here that shares my problem? I don't know anyone at all in my life that is as addicted as I am. I feel like a freak or something. People don't get why I can't just stop. Force myself to drink something else. But it's like my thirst isn't quenched unless I have it. Like my taste buds are ruined or something? Everything else makes my throat dry.
    THIS IS MY HUSBAND! Only with regular soda. He has been trying to drink more water recently but complains that it makes his throat feel scratchy and dry?? I'm a huge water drinker so I'm like -- HUH?!?!? What a weird reaction. He's trying to kick an addiction to regular soda with the same side effect. WEIRD!

Old 09-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #22
    gfd

gfd HB User

Your like my uncle he drink alot diet coke. I never seem so many cokes in person house in my life All the coke is not good on your teeth so some how you need to try drink less soda pop try to drink water instead like those flavor water . I have addiction to sugar I"m trying to eat less sugar but it's hard. I want quit eating sugar only eat every once in a while because not good for you and not good on your teeth. I just think in about 7 years how my teeth might look from all sugar I ate by the time I"M 30 Plus I might have weight promblem when older no offend to fat people so that why I feel I have to quit eating so much sugar. 2 liter bottle pop a day
    is really bad on your teeth. Try to drink juice instead of the 2 liter pop because juice is alot better for you. It will be hard for you to break your addiction just like be hard for me to eat less sugar. If you dont have it in your house then be easy not to drink it because your have to go all the way to the store to get some coke.

Old 10-01-2004, 06:38 AM   #23
    twins2sets
    (female)

twins2sets HB User

Wow, yes, this post did get all scientific, YIKES! Actually, I'm not saying either way that it's horrible or harmless...just saying that I'm fairly sure that it's not GOOD for you, considering there is no nutritional value plus the chemical thing.

And as far as the dry throat thing, I can totally relate to your husband because I am EXACTLY that way. I swear that if I drink water my throat is dry and scratchy. I wonder if I've just ruined my throat or something. I mean, after years of drinking it, maybe the lining of my throat is damaged and it needs to be coated with something to feel ok? God, I hope not, that hadn't really occurred to me. I never heard of that before though.

Thanks for the nice posts. As for me, I can talk about it all day, but it's 9:30 and I have a can right next to the computer!!!!

Closed Thread