It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Slim Fast V Low Carb?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2004, 09:35 AM   #16
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: Slim Fast V Low Carb?

I am not in favor of slimfast because it is primarily sugared milk with preservatives. Yes, there are lots of vitamins added, but in terms of macronutrients, its not an ideal balance. Also, not enough calories for a meal unless you are committed to eating every 3 hours. 220 calories is a snack, not a meal. Here are the details:

Milk-based shake:
    Calories: 220 (stated on label) Actual calories = 227
    Carbs: 40 grams (70%)
    Protein: 10 grams (18%)
    Fat: 3 grams (12%)

Soy-based shake:
    Calories: 220 (stated on label) Actual calories = 233
    Carbs: 46 grams (79%)
    Protein: 10 grams (17%)
    Fat: 1 grams (4%)
    Note: This really surpised me because if they were using quality soy the protein count would be higher - I think they load this one up with sugar to hide the soy taste.

High Protein Meal Bar:
    Calories: 210 (stated on label) Actual calories = 214
    Carbs: 25 grams (47%)
    Protein: 15 grams (28%)
    Fat: 6 grams (25%)
    This is a much better balance than the shakes, but its still "glorified candy"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 06:39 AM   #17
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello JD, That's the nutrition table. Not the ingredients, but thanks anyway. I agree with you on the too much sugar and feel it's a lot of calories. I still don't understand what the hype is about or the difference between Slim-Fast, breakfast drinks like Carnation's instant breakfast, and Ensure. I would think someone could eat food the same amount of calories in Slim-Fast drinks, instead of having Slim-Fast and loose wieght. Basically it's no snacks, right? That would be similar to the "No S" diet, except that you get to eat real food. I don't know. I'll stick to my life style plan.

Old 11-19-2004, 07:53 AM   #18
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Yah, I know slim fast isn't the "BEST" choice, but it certainly aint that bad either, especially for people who are kinda short on money, time, and want to lose weight. Like I said, it's definitely better than pills, and is usuallly temporary.

Last edited by Jess75; 11-19-2004 at 07:54 AM.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:31 AM   #19
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
    Hello JD, That's the nutrition table. Not the ingredients, but thanks anyway. I agree with you on the too much sugar and feel it's a lot of calories. I still don't understand what the hype is about or the difference between Slim-Fast, breakfast drinks like Carnation's instant breakfast, and Ensure. I would think someone could eat food the same amount of calories in Slim-Fast drinks, instead of having Slim-Fast and loose wieght. Basically it's no snacks, right? That would be similar to the "No S" diet, except that you get to eat real food. I don't know. I'll stick to my life style plan.
    I realize its not the ingredients, but I was trying to show how nutritionally UNBALANCED slimfast is! Lots of people get upset when I say this but there is only ONE strategy that works for permanent weight loss - that is learning how to eat properly (balanced nutritious meals) and then apply that knowledge to every day of your life. If this strategy is missing from the plan, whatever the specific plan it is, you WILL fail, longterm.

Closed Thread