It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Gluten is really bad..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #16
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User
    Re: Gluten is really bad..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    I read today how we should eat like cavemen. Their diet consisted mainly of meats, fruits, veggies, nuts and berries. NO grains, no milk, no BEANS????
    But I think you have to eat bread, rice etc. that kind of stuff. Grains right. To get your pancreas working something to do with blood sugar levels. Or you're increasing your risks on becoming carb-sensitive?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 09:21 AM   #17
    dsmoore

dsmoore HB User
    Exclamation Re: Gluten is really bad..

I would not eat soy bread. Soy is very toxic. Eating soy is what causes all these sensitivities. Most people don't realize how much soy is in their diet.

See for example [URL=http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz]Soy Online Service[/URL].

Last edited by dsmoore; 12-16-2004 at 09:24 AM.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:46 AM   #18
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

well i haven't tried soy bread..but, the breads i eat are corn, or rice..they are very filling..i mostly hav it for lunch..sandwiches..i try to avoid bread at supper.. .. but seriously do try to eat less wheat..just try to select better breads..and, rotate..with diferent breads and, wheat bread.. just wheat bread is no good at all for overall health..people are overdosing with this.. we all know what overdosing brings...

Old 12-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #19
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    well i haven't tried soy bread..but, the breads i eat are corn, or rice..they are very filling..i mostly hav it for lunch..sandwiches..i try to avoid bread at supper.. .. but seriously do try to eat less wheat..just try to select better breads..and, rotate..with diferent breads and, wheat bread.. just wheat bread is no good at all for overall health..people are overdosing with this.. we all know what overdosing brings...
    Where do you get rice bread at? I never heard of it.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:35 PM   #20
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey.. at the health food store...i get mine at lowblaws in the health section..with flax seeds in it..mmm yum. or make a search for "Glutino"

see ya

Old 12-17-2004, 05:47 AM   #21
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justanothagirl
    But I think you have to eat bread, rice etc. that kind of stuff. Grains right. To get your pancreas working something to do with blood sugar levels. Or you're increasing your risks on becoming carb-sensitive?
    Does nobody care of the concequences of not eating grains? Such as possibly carb-sensitivity?

Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 AM   #22
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

i am eating grains, just better quality grains..heh

Old 12-17-2004, 08:23 AM   #23
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

I'm with you on the gluten, Mario! The stuff is noxious for more people than realize it! Though, I do think there is something particularly toxic about wheat . . . probably something in the hybridizing. I'm not celiac and doubt I would even test positive for allergy, but boy or boy I do so much better when I avoid wheat. I do okay with rye and oats, but never get to eating the amount I used to of wheat.

I'd love to see how many people could get off SSRIs and similar drugs if they stopped eating wheat. And how many people would have at least lessened symptoms of IBS/IBD, Crohn's, etc.

And I am equally against the meat and dairy industry . . . any of the anti-wheat people I know are.

As for wheat coming from the ground, so it ought to be good for you . . . well . . . so does poison ivy and rhubarb leaves and poinsettia leaves and oleander, etc., etc.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #24
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey aunty..yup i know better..just to tell ya, my sister had ibs for like ever and, suffered for so long always on meds etc...the doctors just kept on giving her diferent meds.. ever since i put her on my diet, she felt a big change after about couple weeks..lol ..crazy huh!!? also her hair stopped falling..lol..hehe...im glad im eating my good quality breads..mmmm yum

Old 12-17-2004, 02:21 PM   #25
    JustK
    (female)

JustK HB User

Good breads and the only breads I will eat are: Healthseed Spelt from French Meadow Bakery, Ezekiel 4:9 from Ranier and Food For Life, and Sprouted Mulitigrain from Alvarado Street Bakery. The Ezekiel 4:9 is at Bashas and easier for me to find so I eat that one the most.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #26
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

good show justK, you are on the right track to a stronger imune system.. ..
    i think spelt is gluten free..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 12-17-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #27
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

ha..here is our answer..

Polluted Bread for Passover?
    Whole Grain Passover Bread or Jewish Matzos? For many years the church was very particular about the bread used at the Passover Services. Each year the 'Passover Bread' was carefully made from the whole grain. It was considered to be very important that the same recipe was meticulously followed year after year. But in the past few years the Church has begun to use the Jewish matzos, which are "blessed" and proclaimed "kosher for the Passover service" by a rabbi. These matzos are available in either whole wheat or white, but the Church uses the "official" white "Passover Bread."

Symbolism of Passover Bread

The unleavened bread of which we partake during the Passover service is symbolic of the perfect, sinless body of Jesus Christ. When this bread is broken during the service it represents His body being "broken" for us, I Corinthians 11:24; broken as a part of the sacrifice which reconciles us to God. It is the physical part of that sacrifice: "by His stripes ye are healed." It is that part which is applied to our own bodies here and now -- in this life. That part of the sacrifice of Christ which enable God to remove from us the physical penalties, which we incur in this life because of the transgression of His laws. When we accept a small piece broken from this bread we are to remember the enormous price that was paid, that we might be reconciled to God: "this do in remembrance of me," I Corinthians 11:24.

Is the type of bread we use at the Passover service really all that important? The entire service is only symbolic anyway, so what possible difference could it make to God whether we use white bread or whole wheat?

It certainly seems as of it is important to God that this bread be free of any type of leavening. If the composition of the bread -- in regard to leavening -- is that much of an issue with God, perhaps its composition matters to Him in other ways as well. Let's see if the Bible has anything to say on this subject. But first, briefly consider a few facts.

Blemished White Bread

From the Book of Whole Grains, pages 14-15, we read: "A grain of wheat is, first of all a seed. The heart of the grain, so to speak, is the germ, or the embryo. This is the part which, if the seed is planted, will develop into a new plant, and it is logically where most of the vitamins and minerals are stored. The major portion of the seed, the endosperm, contains the gluten-forming proteins glutenin and gliaden, and starch food for the developing embryo. Surrounding the endosperm is a layer of aleurone cells (another protein) and several layers of bran, covered by a thin husk.

"Milling techniques have changed drastically since the first wheat kernels were ground into flour. The earliest mills pulverized the germ right along with the endosperm, releasing the vitamin-rich wheat germ oil into the flour, coloring and flavoring it slightly. Although this seems desirable to those of us seeking to improve the vitamin and mineral content of our food, it was not convenient to the grocer or baker, since wheat germ oil soon becomes rancid, and bags of flour left on the shelf will spoil. The invention in the mid-nineteenth century of roller mills which separated the germ from the wheat kernel and allowed the germ to be sifted out was considered a great technological advance.

"Later developments in milling have included screening out most of the bran along with the germ, blowing off any remaining bran or aleurone layers, and bleaching the remaining fine powder. Since the flour resulting from these 'refinements' is depleted of most of its nutrients, not to mention fiber, modern nutritionists have had to be called upon to 'enrich' flour by putting a few vitamins and minerals back into their product."

Christ's Body Was Unblemished

The lamb which was to represent Christ at the Passover service under the Old Covenant was to be without blemish, Exodus 12:5. Would it be acceptable therefore for us to use a blemished bread as a symbol of Christ under the New Covenant -- which is a "better" covenant, with "better" promises -- or does it make any difference?

In Leviticus 2:14, we read, "If you offer a grain offering of your firstfruits to the Lord, you shall offer . . . green heads of grain roasted on the fire, beaten from full heads" (NIV).

Christ offered Himself without spot, Hebrews 9:14. He is the first of the firstfruits. He never sinned. His body qualified to be offered as a sacrifice for our sins, which of itself proves it was unblemished.

Deuteronomy 15:21 reads, "But if there is any defect in it, if it is lame or blind or has any serious defect, you shall not sacrifice it to the Lord your God" (NIV).

Throughout history bread has been known as the "staff of life." It is this staple food which has supported the life and health of man for thousands of years. When the grain is grown in the proper manner, in the proper soil the resulting bread is a perfect food, and well suited to represent the perfect body of Christ.

White Bread is a Deception

However, milled white flour is not a perfect food. When the Danish government banned the milling of grains during World War I, the death rate fell 34%. During World War II, England experienced much the same results. After similar findings, the United States government forced the milling companies to add enough nutrients (many of which were completely artificial) to the flour to at least allow for basic human survival. But by doing this, they did not even begin to return the full two-thirds of the life-giving elements, which they had robbed from the grain in the first place. In addition, some 30 chemicals were added to the flour -- but since it was unable to support the life of bacteria or insects no preservatives were needed.

In a comparison of white flour to freshly ground whole wheat, 15 major nutrients plus trace elements were lost. One hundred percent of the vitamin E was lost. Of the remaining 14: seven lost over 74%, and seven lost over 50%. These figures do not reflect the many vitamins and trace elements which were not considered in the study. Twenty-two percent of the germ protein was lost, which is enough that the remaining protein will not support growth.

Simply put: White flour is a deception -- a lie! It purports to be the "staff of life." The milling companies claim it is just as good, or (incredibly) even better than whole wheat! But the truth is, this mineral-deficient lifeless substance is directly responsible for a long list of deficiency diseases, and at least partially responsible for nearly all the sickness in the civilized world.

Of all the foods eaten by man today, none could be said to be so perfectly symbolic of the mind and heart of Satan the Devil as white flour -- who is even himself "transformed as an angel of light. . . . ," II Corinthians 11:14!

Remember how Satan promised Eve, " . . . Ye shall not surely die." But she did die. And her husband died. And her children died. And mankind has been sick and dying ever since. He deceived her. Instead of life, as he promised, his way has brought pain, misery and death to all mankind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

wooooowwww..crazy huh!!

Old 12-18-2004, 06:00 AM   #28
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User

Uh...no.

Spelt is NOT gluten-free. If you are gluten sensitive, do not eat it. However, if you have no gluten sensitivities, then spelt is a great, high-protein alternative to other grains.

I just want to say one thing. Advocating gluten free for EVERYONE is kind-of like inventing a cure-all, when really eliminating gluten is and really only should be done by those who are TRULY, truly allergic or sensitive to the stuff. I agree, gluten is bad for some, and YES, ~safe~ for others. Just because one person is allergic to something DOES NOT MEAN it is bad for others. I have also heard the research out there, but overall, gluten is not a "bad" substance. It has many perks and lower gluten or various gluten alternatives are not a bad supplement to a person's diet, as long as they do not have Celiac Disease.

I look at it like this. A person with diabetes has to be especially sensitive to sugar and must watch their diet. All in all, we know that copious amounts of sugar can do detrimental things to all of us, never mind the fact that to someone with diabetes, smaller amounts of it can be detrimental. While a person with diabetes must be especially careful to avoid many types of processed sugar and may eat a much stricter, sugar-free diet, does that mean that WE ALL have to follow such a strict diet? No, of course not! Those of us who are not sugar sensitive can handle varying amounts of sugar, even though we all know that moderation is key.

Please, again...I just have to say. A gluten free diet is NOT A CURE ALL for everyone. It is a specific diet, outlined for those WITH Celiac Disease. Do not assume it is going to cure the entire world.

'nuff said...

Old 12-18-2004, 08:01 AM   #29
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

cricket you don't hafta get upset..all im saying is that the majority of people are injecting gluten galor in their everyday diet...they should try to alternate with diferent grains..like corn pasta..i mean corn pasta is Not just for celiacs, this patsa is very nutritional..much more then regular white pasta..and, corn is good for the brain..what benefits are these people getting from white pasta..?? probably none..mr.leepers pasta is 100% corn pasta..it does not say gluten free on it..it is for everyone..also fresh chicken breasts are for everyone..also fresh steak..and, fresh veggies, fruits, and, nuts..dried figs, prunes,..corn breads, rice breads, kamut breads..etc..over dosing gluten is no good for the body, thats the way people develop allergies..bye

Old 12-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #30
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User

My goodness you are misreading my post. I'm hardly upset, lose20mg. However, I do think that people need to know that gluten is not the culprit when you simply are not allergic to it. I think I also pointed out in my post that moderation is essential, that goes for any diet. I AM pointing out that advocating one diet for ALL is a terrible generality. Not everyone responds to foods the way we (celiacs) do. People develop allergies for a variety of reasons, and these reasons aren't ~solely~ due to over-consumption of certain foods.

I do understand that you take your health seriously, as well as your condition, which you should. But it doesnít mean that this diet is the answer for everyone else and their dog. What Iím simply trying to point out is that not all gluten-containing foods are unhealthy.

Really, they arenít.

Ciao

Last edited by cricketchicket; 12-18-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Closed Thread