It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Gluten is really bad..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2004, 09:22 AM   #31
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Gluten is really bad..

lol..cricket..so you'r saying that "enriched white flour" is good for people..??..it is Not..I know for sure that the little ones need their gluten to grow up..but, as we are adults, if we want to select better breads..why not??..i don't think we need a presciption for buying a healthier bread...Do we.?..i also know that many many many people do much better without wheat..im serious.. this i find funny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 09:29 AM   #32
    JustK
    (female)

JustK HB User

1 in 250 people has a severe reaction to gluten, a protein-containing substance found in grain, such as wheat, rye, oats, and barley that gives dough its elasticity. Gluten sensitivity arises most commonly with wheat used in practically everything from breads and pastas to piecrust, muffins, bagels, and cakes. Gluten can damage the intestinal lining, create inflammation, and disrupt nutrient absorption, especially of the B vitamins. I don't have a reaction to gluten, but prefer to leave it out of my diet. I don't see any benefits from eating it.

Old 12-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #33
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User

*rolls eyes* Please tell me where “…"enriched white flour" is good for people” appeared anywhere in my posts? Please, find that line and circle it with red pen so I can see it and re-read it, because I'm reading through my post now and don't see that line anywhere. Seriously, you’re being quite silly about all of this.

To REPEAT myself ~verbatim~, I said that not all gluten-containing foods are bad. Now, you’re saying enriched, processed foods are not healthy. Yes, sir, I agree with you there. However, my friend, you can find enriched, processed, gluten-containing foods AND...oh yes, you can also find enriched, processed, gluten-free foods. Both are laden with crap and additives. The gluten-free fare is no better than processed, "gluten-containing" foods.

Now, I think what you are really advocating is for people to eat healthier, which is great. But, I think you're getting mixed up with what foods are good for people and what foods are not. Spelt is a wonderful grain, but cannot be easily tolerated by people with Celiac Disease. Same goes for kamut and millet. However, most people would agree with me that they are still excellent, healthy grains. Gluten free-no, healthy-yes. That is my point.

Now, I'm still looking for that enriched, white flour quote.

*laughing* boy oh boy, I’m not out to get you! *lol* I’m just putting my own spin on things. Woah!

Last edited by cricketchicket; 12-18-2004 at 09:45 AM.

Old 12-18-2004, 11:08 AM   #34
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

shut up cricket you'r making me laugh..lmao..my goal her/was to tell people to reduce gluten intake..to try eating diferent grains..other then just gluten conatining grains...lol.. wow you'r really kicking me in the "butt" aren't ya.. why isn't jessica replying..?? .. lol

happy holidays..

oh and, justK..its more then that, according to Dr.Mercola..he says 1 on 10 people are sensitive to gluten.. eyy

Last edited by Losec20mg; 12-18-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:15 PM   #35
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User

"Shut up"? I can tell by your response that if you're not young, you certainly are immature. I have merely been pointing out some different ideas AND facts (yes, facts) for people to take into consideration, quite respectfully, actually. I've been dealing with Celiac Disease for 27+ years, so yes, I've also done the research, too, boy, and I know what foods are good for me and others, and which are not. I believe you know many different things about eating a healthy gluten-free diet, but stop thinking you are the gluten-free guru *laugh*. We all have our own opinions about what healthy eating entails and I could go on and on some more about how I think other people should eat. However, what it comes down to is my own opinion on health and food choices. I appreciate your comments and take them into consideration, but GOOD GOD, appreciate other people's, too.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #36
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

when i said shut up, i meant it in a friendly way..lol..its simple iv been sick all my life..and, now i look good and, feel great just by eating right..i was on meds for practely all my life..and, now i don't take them anymore..thats why i want people to make healthier choices.. bye cricket..hows your diet going, have you switched to vegetarian.?. bye

Old 12-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #37
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Cricket, I think your going off the wall just a tad. I think Losec is just forwarning people, like in case if someone is having headaches, or other symptoms that could be related to an allergy. There is a lot of information out there pertaining to the negative affects of gluten. I've read alot, and everywhere I look, especially at the health food stores, many products say it's "gluten free this and that." I don't think that Losec is trying to advocate for gluten to be eliminated from the diet entirely, but he's just trying to let us know the seriousness of how an allegy CAN progress. I bet there are many people out there allergic to this stuff and don't even know it, and it may be ruining their health...without even knowing it. But I don't think it's harmful for all. I appreciate the little FYI thanks Losec!!

Old 12-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #38
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

God jess..iv been wiating for you to come in here..lol..thanks btw/ i saw your list of foods you eat..kool, you eat very good ..have you checked that Glutino site i gave you.. ??

ok bye
    see ya later

ps: i ate to much tonight

Last edited by Losec20mg; 12-18-2004 at 04:01 PM.

Old 12-18-2004, 04:23 PM   #39
    Lisa43017

Lisa43017 HB User

I never would have believed gluten could have caused my reflux problem until I gave it up on a low carb diet. I was able to go off zantac for the first time in 2 years. When I eat gluten the reflux returns. Also I have a lot less of the stomach attacks with unbelivable pain my doctor labeled IBS.

Old 12-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #40
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

..omg/ i was just like that too..always with the reflux..cripe i never knew where it came from..i always blamed it on citrus fruits, or tomatoes and, tomato suace..or bananas..practically all the good foods to eat i had problems with..it sucked big time.. But now..i can eat all those foods with no more problems..my gutt is pretty much healed all the way..i feel like a race horse..lol.and, also no more pills..PPI's, zantac, rolaids..all this crap..sold out there is silly..why why why..people should look into what they'r eating instead..Dang.. so now when i hear people telling me they got heartburn..lol i just tell them to check with what they are eating..otherwise, let them suffa..

Old 12-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #41
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    God jess..iv been wiating for you to come in here..lol..thanks btw/ i saw your list of foods you eat..kool, you eat very good ..have you checked that Glutino site i gave you.. ??

ok bye
    see ya later

ps: i ate to much tonight
    Yah, I ate a little differently today cause we bought pizza for the game, but I'M SO HAPPY CAUSE THE STEELERS WON!!! WHOOOO HOOOO!!!! BTW, thanks Losec for the compliment on how I eat! Any criticism??? Oh, and what Glutino site, thans alot!

Last edited by Jess75; 12-18-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Old 12-18-2004, 09:18 PM   #42
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey..well i had pizzas last night..the crust was corn..but, hey i ate two of em..lol..what a pig, oink.. anyways for that site, just type Glutino in your search engine..it will proly be the first link..tata.. oh ya..about your list, it is fine.. i would change couple things like the>> Ranch..lol but, you can have it..i give ya permission..lol..just type me out the engredients of that dressing??.. ok later, its beddie tyme..

see ya

Old 12-19-2004, 09:52 AM   #43
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    hey..well i had pizzas last night..the crust was corn..but, hey i ate two of em..lol..what a pig, oink.. anyways for that site, just type Glutino in your search engine..it will proly be the first link..tata.. oh ya..about your list, it is fine.. i would change couple things like the>> Ranch..lol but, you can have it..i give ya permission..lol..just type me out the engredients of that dressing??.. ok later, its beddie tyme..

see ya
    It's called Annie's Naturals Cowgirl Dressing....Here's the ingredients:
    Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Water, Cider vinegar, Organic buttermilk powder, Organic Sugar, Sea salt, Egg powder, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Chives, Xanthan Gum, Parsley.
    GLUTEN FREE....LOL It says that at the bottom of the ingrediets.

Heres the Nutrition Facts
    Calories 120
    Total fat 11g/saturated fat 1g
    Cholesterol 10mg
    Sodium 280mg
    Total Carb. 3g
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 1g

Calcium2%

I know, it's one of my bad fats, but it tstes really good, and Hidden Valley Ranch has 21g of fat in it, yikes.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:53 AM   #44
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    It's called Annie's Naturals Cowgirl Dressing....Here's the ingredients:
    Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Water, Cider vinegar, Organic buttermilk powder, Organic Sugar, Sea salt, Egg powder, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Chives, Xanthan Gum, Parsley.
    GLUTEN FREE....LOL It says that at the bottom of the ingrediets.

Heres the Nutrition Facts
    Calories 120
    Total fat 11g/saturated fat 1g
    Cholesterol 10mg
    Sodium 280mg
    Total Carb. 3g
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 1g

Calcium2%

I know, it's one of my bad fats, but it tstes really good, and Hidden Valley Ranch has 21g of fat in it, yikes.
    Did you make the corn crust?

Old 12-19-2004, 10:01 AM   #45
    cricketchicket
    (female)

cricketchicket HB User

Good morning (afternoon) all. Hopefully this will make sense as I have just woken up and am not totally coherent.

Alrighty, where to start? I’m all about ~gently~ advocating healthy eating, but there are several perspectives on it, and I am trying to point out that one diet is not a fix all, and it's not at all healthy to assume it is. But, I can understand Losec's (?) perspective, because I know when I was much younger and re-diagnosed many years ago, and re-started my gluten-free diet, I also tried thought it was the world's cure, and I thought that if everyone followed a gluten-free diet, they would be saved! I thought I knew everything about health and of course, the gluten-free diet, so I went around preaching a healthy, gluten-free way of life. Canker sore? Headache? Foot problems? Short of breath? Gluten-free is the way to go because it worked for me. *laugh* A very fanatical way of thinking, but looking back on it, I guess it was my way of understanding my condition and asserting myself. Wasn't such a smart idea. I applaud people trying to maintain their health, as I also do my best, but this gluten-free cure-all has really irked me because while lowering gluten for some people is truly beneficial, it doesn't have to, and should not be preached as the ultimate food guide. I don't know why this seems to irk other people so much, but whatever...

So, I guess this is where he is coming from, so I do understand it, but just offering some advice from someone who's been there and back again. I wasn't trying to knock you, so take my comments as advice and a supplement to your ideas. In the end, I'm providing people with some other, added options besides a strict diet that some don't really have to follow. Also pointing out that many of the “gluten-free” alternatives that some people may come across useful are not, in fact, gluten-free. This is also what I’ve learned by trial and error, so just adding the info.

Cheers.

Closed Thread