It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Costs too much to eat healthy!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #31
    sarasota2004
    (female)

sarasota2004 HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

All good points.

I don't have the luxury of those cheap china markets near me. I'd have to travel an hour's worth to get there. I live in the suburbs and in the winter, produce is very expensive.

I guess I should think about buying frozen a lot more...even though it doesn't taste al dente cooked which is how I like it. But, the nutrients in frozen is better than the fresh cause the fresh have been sitting around for a bit more and frozen is frozen immediately.

At my local grocery store they have the not so fresh bins. Sorry...they look weak and sick and all of the nutrients are probably wiped out. I love their sign on these bins....

"Not the best or fresh, but still a good buy!"

Last edited by sarasota2004; 01-06-2005 at 08:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #32
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

hmm since when are frozen better then fresh..??? the fresh have a taste..frozen taste of ice..lo

Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #33
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

When fresh are getting old you can't really call them fresh anymore. If they are bruised and starting to get close to expiring they have lost some of there nutrients. Frozen are frozen pretty quickly and have there nutrients locked in. So in that case frozen has more nutrients then fresh or not so fresh as the case may be.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #34
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Kathrin I love your post. I was in San Francisco. I wish I knew about Food not Bombs when I was there! I did the same thing as you pretty much. "Whole Foods" ALWAYS has free samples lying around. Free samples of blue berries and raspberries. But on a more practical note, you can buy brown rice in bulk. You can also buy beans. Frozen vegetables are not all that bad. Sometimes I think they are better than fresh, especially the dismal selections I see at grocery stores. You may not be able to buy the best, highest quality but I think it should be a priority to do the best I can. Beans, rice, frozen vegetables, and frozen berries will go a long way. No one needs milk or dairy products and that will cut your expenses a lot. Peanut butter has a lot of the antioxidant "resveratrol" and is a good cheap protein. You can buy this in bulk, but make sure there are no hydrogenated oils. And contrary to popular opinion, you don't need bread to eat peanut butter, though it is "nice". Good bread is too expensive, in my opinion. You can always make your own at home, but you have to buy the whole grain flour. I don't believe you need to eat a lot of meat, but "flexitarians" turn out to be the healthiests. These are vegetarians who sometimes eat meat. Fish would be the best. As for fish, the best and healthiest fish happens to be the least expensive: sardines. Good luck everyone.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #35
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Whoe....Were do you live? "1 Green Pepper - $1.56
    1 Red Pepper - $1.67
    a lemon - $1 ? " Here in PA, peppers are charged by the lbs. and not per pepper. That's crazy. You'd be better off looking for a fruit/farmer's stand. Here's what we pay here: Green Peppers are .99 cents per lbs.....Red Peppers are $1.99 per lbs......Lemons are 4-5 for $1.00.....potatoes are .99 for 5 lbs....yams are .79 per lbs.......brocoli heads are .99 cents each.....string beans are $1.99 per lbs. in the winter time and .99 cents per lbs. in the summer.....garlic is $1.99 per lbs.......fresh ginger is $2.99 per lbs......much cheaper here.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #36
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Magpie you are right. It is all about location. It is imperitive, for me, to find a place where good food is the cheapest or somewhere where I am able to grow it myself cheaply. I love the idea of tapping my own maple tree. I did this when I was a child. You can make your own maple syrup or boil the sap down to make sugar. It's awesome. I would love to live somewhere where there are wild berry bushes. There were a lot where I grew up. It was simply the best. I hear in Hawaii the food kind of just falls off the trees. hehe

Old 01-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #37
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Hey, I agree that healthy food is way too expensive. I spend over $200 a week just for DH & I - it's crazy.

Think of it this way - a bag of chips might cost about $2-$3 and will last a few days to a week. The same amount of pitsachio nuts to last the same number of days will cost at least twice that, maybe more.

And finding decent produce in the winter, no matter what the cost, is hard too.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #38
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Yes but eating poorly, or cheaply will cost more money in the long run. It is ruining our country.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #39
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mehtab
    Yes but eating poorly, or cheaply will cost more money in the long run. It is ruining our country.
    huh! what do you mean by that.??

Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #40
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    huh! what do you mean by that.??
    Hey Losec,
    I think she means by eating poor quality foods, your more vulnerable for obesity, cancers and other diseases which is skyrocketing the heathcare system! Eating healthy foods helps to prevent many risks such as obesity, heart disease, etc etc, thus not needing any healthcare if wise precautions were taken.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #41
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

hehe I knew it was that, I just wanted her to type it out..lol but, of course you'r always there to rescue..lol.. Everything ok there..??..

tonight im gona eat a whole bunch, Im starving.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #42
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    hehe I knew it was that, I just wanted her to type it out..lol but, of course you'r always there to rescue..lol.. Everything ok there..??..

tonight im gona eat a whole bunch, Im starving.
    HeHeHe, you knew?? Your funny! I'm going out to eat tonight because it's been a while and I don't feel like cooking. I'm not doing that well with my constipation, although I haven't been eating a truly "gluten free" diet. I'm trying though, but I don't think that's it, but I'm trying.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #43
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

hehe..well if you don't do it, then you will never know..oh and, you too are very funny..

later Jess..

Old 01-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #44
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    Hey Losec,
    I think she means by eating poor quality foods, your more vulnerable for obesity, cancers and other diseases which is skyrocketing the heathcare system! Eating healthy foods helps to prevent many risks such as obesity, heart disease, etc etc, thus not needing any healthcare if wise precautions were taken.
    And this means that healthy eaters pay twice for their healthy lifestyle. Once for the inordinately high prices for healthy, organic food and again through increased taxes to subsidize the healthcare of those who don't take care of themselves or for government research to find cures for diseases caused by poor health.

sigh.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #45
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    Hey Losec,
    And this means that healthy eaters pay twice for their healthy lifestyle. Once for the inordinately high prices for healthy, organic food and again through increased taxes to subsidize the healthcare of those who don't take care of themselves or for government research to find cures for diseases caused by poor eating habits.

sigh.

Closed Thread