It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Costs too much to eat healthy!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #46
    Kathrin74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kathrin74 HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

Mehtab, I do have peanut butter, and since I can get free bread, I do eat it with bread. I do have the kind with hydrogenated oils though... don't have a refrigerator right now, and that one keeps better. Also, not having a fridge makes it hard in terms of frozen veggies... No worries though, in 1 1/2 weeks I am going to move back in with my parents for a little while.
    Oh yeah, free samples are great! Not only at Whole Foods, but also: At the farmer's market. And: "Real Food"!! Man, do they have fruit samples sometimes, you can really go and fill up just having a piece of each.
    Oh, and Trader Joe's has good samples sometimes too.

Yeah, Food Not Bombs is great. And great free bread sometimes. Like Whole-wheat walnut, love it!!!!

Kathrin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #47
    sarasota2004
    (female)

sarasota2004 HB User

There's a big snow storm on its way where I live.

I just got out of work, picked kids up and made it home around 7:30 p.m.

No chicken or fish is thawed.

No fresh veggies here either cause I spent all my money on my stir fry veggies a couple days ago ($30)...included was my average size pepper that cost $4.99 a pound!

Now what do I do tonight?............

Guess what....
    Stop & Shop Frozen Pizza. It's like the Ellio's Square ones.

Hot and on the table by 7:45 p.m. Of course, the kids love it.

I'm disgusted. I could have done better if I prepared earlier.........but dosh gonnit.........I CAN'T afford the stir-fry veggie type stuff every night!

I will have to change to the soggy frozen red and green sliced peppers for the rest of the winter........lolol

Old 01-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #48
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarasota2004
    There's a big snow storm on its way where I live.

I just got out of work, picked kids up and made it home around 7:30 p.m.

No chicken or fish is thawed.

No fresh veggies here either cause I spent all my money on my stir fry veggies a couple days ago ($30)...included was my average size pepper that cost $4.99 a pound!

Now what do I do tonight?............

Guess what....
    Stop & Shop Frozen Pizza. It's like the Ellio's Square ones.

Hot and on the table by 7:45 p.m. Of course, the kids love it.

I'm disgusted. I could have done better if I prepared earlier.........but dosh gonnit.........I CAN'T afford the stir-fry veggie type stuff every night!

I will have to change to the soggy frozen red and green sliced peppers for the rest of the winter........lolol
    Storms are coming this way too (pittsburgh) where do you live?

Old 01-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #49
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Losec,

And I was going to write you a discourse. Yes Jessica is right. The majority of diseases are considered by the medical establishment to be entirely preventable. Imagine if someone had to pay for their own 20,000 open heart surgery? This is a huge burden, and yes, someone has to pay for it. We are all paying for it. Also if anyone thinks they are saving money on food by eating cheaply they should calculate how much they save and compare it to how much they will be spending on prescription drugs, doctor visits, and dentists for diseases attributed to lifestyle. Even simple things like cavities and regular dental visits are a waste of money. If people got enough minerals and stayed away from refined sugars they would not have cavities. You don't need expensive toothpaste even. It's just a waste.

Who really knows what individual problems a person has when it comes to not being able to afford healthy food. There will always be something someone can't afford but I think the majority of people CAN afford to eat healthy. Yes there are poor people who can't afford to eat much so they choose between either no calories or empty calories where they can eat. I think often the reason people think they can't afford to eat healthy is because people mistake healthy for GOURMET. It's not that tricky. You don't need to eat organic everyday. Yes this is ideal but unless you are growing it yourself it is a burden not many can afford. That makes sense, but not being able to understand basic food principles like buying in season and storing: pickling, canning, freezing, is just unacceptable. It is like human amnesia. Bulk staples are important too and whole grain or unrefined staples are not that much more expensive. Think beans and brown rice. They aren't even teaching basic personal accounting anymore in highschool or home economics and I think this is a very big problem. Especially when people get deluded into thinking it is normal to have a large house or two cars, expensive shampoos and cosmetics, and all their kids in programs. People struggle to afford things at the red-line instead of buying below or even within their means. People used to spend 40% of their salary on food and this was considered normal. Now people do not think spending that much of their salary on food is normal. I don't think two parents should be working outside of the house unless it really is necessary. I could go on and on. The point is the majority of people can afford healthy food they just don't realize it.

For those who can and do realize it, they really should realize that it is an investment in their and everyone elses favor.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #50
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Kathrin that sucks that you have no freezer. I understand, though. It is great that you can move in with your parents. I don't understand why people have stigmas against living with their parents these days, especially in hard times. Family is so important. Thanks for the great tips on San Francisco!

Canned pumpkin is one of the most nutritious foods in the grocery store, btw. And canned tomatoes have more antioxidant concentration that fresh.

Canning is the best, though often not the most nutritious. It can be done to preserve the nutrition better, though, than typical canned food on the store shelves. When I was little my mom and I used to take a trip to the farm and the man would give us vegetables (I'm not even sure if she paid for them) and then we would can and pickle them ourselves!

Old 01-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #51
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

i hear ya Mehtab..i always eat healthy everyday..hmm im a celiac, i can't eat processed foods or anything thats prepared..i cook from scratch everyday..i do have canned veggies somtimes or tuna, sardines, canned salmon..but its mostly fresh..fresh food gives me more energy.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #52
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Losec,

You are a celiac? This means you can't eat gluten or you can't eat anything prepared? A lot of legumes do not have gluten in them. I'm sorry I can't read the rest of your post yet.

Alright yea fresh foods are always better, but not always accessable. I think this is one of the reasons people don't think they can afford to eat good food. It's expensive when it isn't in season or when it is winter...and a lot of stuff doesn't grow and never has naturally.

Last edited by Mehtab; 01-07-2005 at 08:33 PM.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #53
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes exactly i can't have gluten eva..lol but im eating alot better then i ever did and, feel great..lol ask Jessicca..lol i can eat everything..except for gluten..which is found in processed foods moslty..and, we all know how bad those are for ya ..iv got so sooo many stores here loaded with fruits and, veggies..i shop mostly in Italian stores they have so many things that are natural..hehe..im happy and, doing great..oh i eat corn pasta or, rice pasta..mm yum..

Old 01-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #54
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Yea brown rice pasta is pretty good. I think those specialty stores get pretty expensive. I prefer bulk. Isn't Italy one of the only countries that regularly tests its people for Celiac disease?

Old 01-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #55
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mehtab
    Isn't Italy one of the only countries that regularly tests its people for Celiac disease?
    yes its the place where people eat mostly pasta and, white bread..overdosing themselves with that stuff, thats why they all get celiacs.. ..Im trying to tell people but, they won't listen ..

Old 01-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #56
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Lose,

Could be. I think it is caused by dairy myself. But you're right. No one listens lol. It must be hard to be a doctor. I don't think I could stand all those people complaining about their bodies when they can and knowingly decide to not take care of them. It's like a smoker coughing..one of the most annoying things in the world to listen to.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #57
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
    I think it is caused by dairy myself.
    what do you mean by that..??

Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #58
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

I made the cheapest meal today - lentil burgers!!!
    Total cost: about $3 for about 6-8, healthy, delicious burgers!

I cooked 1 cup of lentils and another pan i sauteed onions, garlic, celery, chipolte pepper and carrot for 10 mins until soft and translucent. Added a tsp of cumin and coriander, and a tbs of lemon juice and 2 tbs of soy sauce. Put in processor to chop a little finer and mixed the lot and made patties - adding dusting of flour - and cooked them in a little oil!!! Served on bed of baby spinch and cut up a few tomatoes to top it off. Delicious AND nutritious!!! And AMAZINGLY filling!!

Last edited by veggie girl; 01-09-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #59
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
    It's like a smoker coughing..one of the most annoying things in the world to listen to.
    haha - you're so right!!! You just wanna yell "well quit f****n smokin' then, you dumb a**"!!!

This woman used to pass by my window at work every lunch break. She was really overweight and always had a cigarette in her mouth. She would stop many times while walking down the block in order to catch her breathe - or should I say, to pant. I was expecting her to collapse any second.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #60
    Mehtab
    Inactive

Mehtab HB User

WOw that sounds really good. I know what I'm eating tomorrow.

Lose,
    I mean that having antibodies to the cow protein casein during development will make a person more sensitive to gluten.

Closed Thread