It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board

  • Costs too much to eat healthy!

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 01-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #61
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    well my Dad had celiacs and, passed away 2002..in my case its heredetary..my sister is celiac too..this is my only allergy, the rest I can eat everything..I stick to natural foods cuz gluten is found in all the prepared stuff..
    Have you got an allergy, Mehtab.??

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 01-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #62
    Mehtab
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 70
    Mehtab HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    no I don't have any allergies. You're right gluten is in a lot of packaged foods as well as dairy. It's funny that these are common allergens. Natural is better anyway.

     
    Old 01-09-2005, 08:02 PM   #63
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    veggie girl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 939
    veggie girl HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mehtab
    You're right gluten is in a lot of packaged foods as well as dairy. It's funny that these are common allergens. Natural is better anyway.
    The reason they're such common allergens is that we overconsume them. If we just ate the gluten that in nature, grains etc, we'd be okay, but we eat gluten in bread, in cakes, in bagels, in ketchup etc. Same goes for wheat - is there ANYTHING that does NOT contain wheat??!! Its in EVERYTHING!!! Even taco sauce!!!

    No wonder out systems are all messed up, we're eating wheat or gluten in everymeal we eat!!

     
    Old 01-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #64
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    lol..veggie girl..
    I shop in Italian stores where foods are imported from Italy..there are lots that don't contain gluten..but, all of the stuff to give taste and, flavor to your foods are filled with gluten, MSG..etc etc etc..all kinds of junk..lol canned soups..stay away.. i have the all natural lentille soups or minestrone or chick pea soups or black beaned soups..good protein sources for me..but, I do at meat..I don't say no to that..

    ps: Im saved,..lol im not eatin any..

    Last edited by Losec20mg; 01-09-2005 at 08:18 PM.

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 05:45 AM   #65
    sarasota2004
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    sarasota2004's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 101
    sarasota2004 HB User
    Red face Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    Sorry...

    I'm looking for a quick recap...

    1. What is Gluten actually? And, if you HAVE to shop in a regular supermarket, what can you buy that is Gluten-free? for meals??

    2. Also, what is a celiac again? And, what happens to you if you eat stuff that's processed and are a celiac? Does anyone have the potential to become one if we keep eating this way?

    3. That lentil burger recipe Veggie..........is it good? Can you compare the taste to something for me? I've had bocca burgers before and I hated them. I'd love to try your recipe but I'd love to know what it resembles. It sounds good...just have no idea of the consistency?

    4. And, someone mentioned wheat is in everything......I thought wheat was good for you? Or is it just "whole-wheat"?

    Someone once told me to shop only in the outside parameters of a grocery store and to stay away from the inside aisles. When you think about it, the outside aisles consist of the produce section, the meats, the dairy, and the grains. Inside aisles are all PROCESSED food!

    Sorry to ask all these questions, it's just that this board is really educating me and I'd love to learn more. I really want to change my eating style for the better and stick to it!

    What is so tough is the fact that here in America, you really have to "work" at the change cause all in your face is just the opposite........commercials, advertisements, frozen dinners, packaged deserts, McDonalds, kid's sugary cereals, sweets, restaurants that give you HEAPING servings....always feeling the need to "finish your plate" to get your money's worth.

    You can't escape it! My kids are learning that these things above are normal and OKAY! Even from their schools!

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 06:53 AM   #66
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Posts: 576
    Jenteal HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    In the long run you will save more eating healhty than you will on cheap or frozen dinner. It will cost you less time at the gym or exercising in general. Less trips to the Dr. and Pharmisct because you became ill due to not having the right building blocks in your system to keep your immune system healthy. The dental bills alone add up.
    My parents always made sure I ate healthy. My brother and I were served the healthy food while my parents ate the cheap not healthy food. They took care of me but now they are suffering with health problems. They never drink for that matter they have never been in a bar. They do not smoke, dip, do any drugs yet now their hearts are ailing. Clogged from years of unhealthy foods.
    We ate 3 meals a day with 2 snack times on my father income. They were able to buy a 2 story house with a 150ft back yard in a very good middle class neighborhood. Put me through private college prep schools and my brother in miliraty schools. Neither of them were cheap to say the least. Make the car and house notes, house and 2 vechicles insurance etc. all on 30,000-35,000 a year. It's all on how you manage your money. Ya don't have to have name brand things. Use coupons, recycle, Family Dollar for your cleaning needs and colthes detergent, they take coupons. Don't have to have fabric softner all the time. Bring the movies home and have family movie night. Popcorn, drinks etc are less and you can pause the movie if you have to run to the potty.

    Jenteal

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 AM   #67
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    to sara..if your kids are eating all that crap they are doing it all wrong..like veggie girl said, wheat is in everything..and, people in general are consume large amounts of this on a daily basis..thats why lots of these people are sick., taking pills..acid reflux..etc..arthtrits is due to to much intake of gluten also..so yeah if you think you have a variety of foods, think again..people say well yesterday i had a bagel, today ill have a muffin, tomorrow ill have toast..etc..thats all gluten..no variety there..instead people should eat one day some gluten..the next a corn muffin and, the next buckwheat waffles etc..that would be more of a variety..personly i can't have gluten..because my body does not tolerate it..but, i prefere eating like this, this way my body has a more varied diet..instead of gluten gluten gluten.. there are two ways to look at it
    eating healthy feeling good..strong immune system..never going to the doctor
    or
    eating crap, feeling irritable, always negative, often sick, often to the doctor..buying lots of pills

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #68
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Jess75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Pa
    Posts: 2,394
    Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    I know but when you read on other websites about "healthy eating" they are often times advocating a healthy diet rich in whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean meats, nuts, beans and dairy! I love cereal and I know it has wheat(good fiber) in it and it's so hard to totally eliminating it, plus I love to make whole wheat pasta but I never tried the corn pasta yet, I think I'll give it a try. Gluten free or wheat free cereals don't have any fiber in it, or do they? I haven't found one yet! And one of the posters(forget her name) asked if wheat is bad and should everybody give it up? It's advocated everywhere to choose "whole wheat" over white, bla bla bla. Then dairy is another concern and I love dairy, I love my fat free organic milk,2% cottage cheese, and low fat yogurt.LOL I'm currently suffering from intestinal problems now but I don't want to give some of these foods up, like dairy and some wheat. And soy is supposively bad and I love soy milk. My intestinal probelems include like constipation, bloating and gas(sorry guys but it's true and annoying lol). And, I feel that cereal is a great way to get my fiber in like raisen bran or something so I can go, cause I'm thinking I need to increase my fiber intake but it has wheat in it, and I don't know if wheat and/or dairy is the culprit. I guess I should see a doctor huh? I'm thinking he'll just say "here's some pills". LOL I'm always contemplating giving up dairy, but then it's so hard to get the RDI of calcium which is 1000mg for women. I always felt very healthy knowing that I'm getting my calcium from eating clean organic dairy products.(except my yogurt but it's really fermented so there isn't alot of hormones or any for that matter). WHAT IS AN EXCLUSIVELY HEALTHY DIET??? I'm confused. What do you guys think?

    Last edited by Jess75; 01-10-2005 at 01:08 PM.

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #69
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    well jess, my poop never smells, i must be eating right..lol im not having gluten in my daily diet..and, im very strong..stronger then you..lol seriously i thought you where gonna give my diet a try..but, i guess its to dificult huh?? its all a question of getting used to it..once you feel better then you will believe.. .. oh jess the cereals i eat are sooo good with flax, i also throw in raisins(sunmaid)..im eating to much..lol

    Last edited by Losec20mg; 01-10-2005 at 01:33 PM.

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #70
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Jess75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Pa
    Posts: 2,394
    Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    well jess, my poop never smells, i must be eating right..lol im not having gluten in my daily diet..and, im very strong..stronger then you..lol seriously i thought you where gonna give my diet a try..but, i guess its to dificult huh?? its all a question of getting used to it..once you feel better then you will believe.. .. oh jess the cereals i eat are sooo good with flax, i also throw in raisins(sunmaid)..im eating to much..lol
    Hi Losec,
    How much fiber is in the cereal "alone" and what is the name you eat again? Thanks. I think I need more fiber and without cereal, fruits and veggies and beans still don't seem to add up to the 25-30 grams a day which is recommended. Oh, one more question, is rye bread wheat free?

    Last edited by Jess75; 01-10-2005 at 01:47 PM.

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #71
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    shoot jess.. I normaly have this big see threw bag from natures path but, i empty it in a big tupperware for my cereals..im gonna have to check it out the next bag that I buy..hmm, yes there is wheat in rye bread..lol there are so many grains that you can have..example: Kamut..etc.. gogo Jess.. ..constipation is no good Jess.. please see whats causing it

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #72
    Mehtab
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 70
    Mehtab HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    Quote:
    Sorry...

    I'm looking for a quick recap...

    1. What is Gluten actually? And, if you HAVE to shop in a regular supermarket, what can you buy that is Gluten-free? for meals??
    Gluten is a protein in wheat. It is structurally similar to the milk protein casein. Both of these are common allergens.

    Quote:
    2. Also, what is a celiac again? And, what happens to you if you eat stuff that's processed and are a celiac? Does anyone have the potential to become one if we keep eating this way?
    A celiac is someone who is intolerant to gluten. It is not necessarily an allergy. There is a difference between being a celiac and having a wheat allergy. If a celiac eats gluten they will generally waste away because of what it does to the intestines.

    Quote:
    4. And, someone mentioned wheat is in everything......I thought wheat was good for you? Or is it just "whole-wheat"?
    Wheat is fine. Yes as long as you don't have an allergy to it or you are intolerant to it. As long as it is a whole grain and not refined in the case of white flour or denatured as in the case of cereal grains.

    Quote:
    Someone once told me to shop only in the outside parameters of a grocery store and to stay away from the inside aisles. When you think about it, the outside aisles consist of the produce section, the meats, the dairy, and the grains. Inside aisles are all PROCESSED food!
    pretty good recommendation.

    Quote:
    Sorry to ask all these questions, it's just that this board is really educating me and I'd love to learn more. I really want to change my eating style for the better and stick to it!

    What is so tough is the fact that here in America, you really have to "work" at the change cause all in your face is just the opposite........commercials, advertisements, frozen dinners, packaged deserts, McDonalds, kid's sugary cereals, sweets, restaurants that give you HEAPING servings....always feeling the need to "finish your plate" to get your money's worth.

    You can't escape it! My kids are learning that these things above are normal and OKAY! Even from their schools!
    yea it's messed up.

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #73
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    to the ones that can tolerate gluten yes..to the ones that have signs of being sensitive to it..then it is no good for these people to eat it..say example: acid reflux, then gluten must be iliminated or you will be taking PPI's forever..

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #74
    Mehtab
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 70
    Mehtab HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    Arthritis I can understand because that is an inflammatory condition and removing common allergens can help it. How does gluten cause acid reflux? Does eliminating gluten alone get rid of acid reflux? I always thought acid reflux was caused by eating too much processed foods and not having enough stomach acids and that is why taking a spoon full of vinegar cures it until the person can start producing their own digestive enzymes again by eating a healthy diet, not necessarily avoiding grains?

     
    Old 01-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #75
    Mehtab
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 70
    Mehtab HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

    Quote:
    And, I feel that cereal is a great way to get my fiber in like raisen bran or something so I can go, cause I'm thinking I need to increase my fiber intake but it has wheat in it, and I don't know if wheat and/or dairy is the culprit. I guess I should see a doctor huh? I'm thinking he'll just say "here's some pills". LOL I'm always contemplating giving up dairy, but then it's so hard to get the RDI of calcium which is 1000mg for women. I always felt very healthy knowing that I'm getting my calcium from eating clean organic dairy products.(except my yogurt but it's really fermented so there isn't alot of hormones or any for that matter). WHAT IS AN EXCLUSIVELY HEALTHY DIET??? I'm confused. What do you guys think?
    Personally I think cow milk and its associated products have no place in a healthy diet because of all the disgusting crap that is in it, even so called "organic" milk. Let me tell you something about calcium. This has to be the biggest lie that is going on right now. Calcium does not prevent osteoporosis. Studies on this so far show that in fact the opposite is true. Now if that weren't enough to dissuade you from worrying about calcium, cultures that do not drink cow milk do not have osteoporosis. The problem is most of us didn't find this out until we were adults when our bone mass is pretty much set. Bone mass is determined by exercise and yes nutritional uptake. You need magnesium to absorb calcium into your bones. There is plenty of calcium in green leafy vegetables as well as magnesium. Dairy isn't even a good source of calcium to begin with. There are vegetables with more calcium than milk. The dairy industry is huge and wants you to believe many things about milk that are simply not true. Recently it was discovered that paratuberculosis infection causes Crohn's disease in humans. This bacteria comes from the milk of infected cows. Pasteurization doesn't kill it. There are many other nasty things in milk that pasteurization doesn't take care of. Simply put, milk isn't safe..for anyone.

    To me a healthy diet is a common sense diet. I used to ask myself "Does it make sense to eat this". If the answer is no..don't eat it. For instance, severely denatured cereal grains such as "puffed" rice or "puffed" wheat make sense to eat? No.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Why does Coenzyme Q-10 costs so much RaceBannon Vitamins & Supplements 7 10-19-2006 06:53 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!