It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Costs too much to eat healthy!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #91
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User
    Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

Yes there are a LOT of inexpensive foods to eat but the ultimately healthy stuff ie organic is STILL inordinately more expensive than regular.

ie

regular eggs $1.29
    free range $3.50

regular lemons 3 for $1
    organic lemons $2 EACH

regular avocados 69c
    organic avocados $2 each

saltines $2 approx per box
    flaxseed crackers $5.49 for small bag

regular nuts $2-3 approx
    organic, raw nuts $5.99 per tub!! (true!)

regular carrots 33 cent per bag
    organic carrots $3 per bag

...and this is just off the top of my head!!

I know that out of season stuff is a little pricy but even the in-season stuff - if bought organic - is WAY more than the pesticide filled crap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #92
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

welcome rheanna...i to can't eat gluten and, i like much better eating this way because im alot more healthy then i ever was..lol iv become very isolated from everyone

Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #93
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    welcome rheanna...i to can't eat gluten and, i like much better eating this way because im alot more healthy then i ever was..lol iv become very isolated from everyone
    I've often wondered why we don't have our own Celiac "department" here at Healthboards. Maybe we'll get one of our own someday!

Even my DH admits that he feels healthier since I've been cooking gluten-free. He's gotten into making buckwheat noodles and corn tortillas.

As for eating with friends, they try hard to accomodate my "dietary restrictions" when we eat at their homes, and I just bring my own buckwheat bread or rice crackers with me, just in case they haven't quite understood the details. When folks are invited to our home, they eat gluten-free. The only time I compromise is when we have a BIG party, and I'll buy a couple of baguettes from the bakery. When I go to restaurants, I've learned to be happy if I can choose from a couple of things on the menu, and I concentrate on the celebration of being with my friends (and/or DH).

You're not alone!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #94
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by veggie girl
    Yes, I eat (live) plain yoghurt and fat-free cottage cheese. I think when people say avoid dairy they're talking mainly about milk and cheese but - somehow - I think live yoghurt and cottage cheese seem to be recommended a lot by health and fitness experts. I'm still on the fence so I really don't know. Like you said, there is SO much conflicting info, I just don't know who to believe!!

haha. I meant...just say you eat some pasta and then when you're done you eat some fruit, well, after you eat the pasta the digestion process begins and its on it way to the stomach then travels through the colon. Well, while the pasta is being slowly processed - carbs take a while - the fruit is waiting for the carbs to get finished coz its already starting to digest ie ferment. Its a bit like the fruit is driving behind an old person with nowhere to overtake!! Thats why you may feel bloated and gassy after eating fruit as a dessert. ya'knowhatimean? They say you should eat fruit BEFORE a meal or on an empty stomach

Regarding cereal: You should check out your healthfood store they have TONS of different wheat-free cereals to chose from.
    Okay the fruit thing makes sense. I'm going to stick to my yogurt and cottage cheese for now, and try to cut wheat out of my diet as much as possible and let you guys know how I feel. I'm feeling better thought cause this medicine called Colace seems to be working. Thanks veggie girl!

Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #95
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    Okay the fruit thing makes sense. I'm going to stick to my yogurt and cottage cheese for now, and try to cut wheat out of my diet as much as possible and let you guys know how I feel. I'm feeling better thought cause this medicine called Colace seems to be working. Thanks veggie girl!
    Oh also, if you add a little protein to your fruit, your body processes it better and there is no gas - according to one fitness mag I read.

I do remember eating dinner and for desert making a fruit salad with a dolop of plain yoghurt, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of chopped nuts and I was fine....but when I went to a friends house, we ate dinner and she served a plain fruit salad for dessert and within the hour my stomach was gurgling and I felt like my stomach was bloated. Also,I was hungry again within an hour!!!!!

So, I think theres definately something in the 'don't eat fruit after food' school of thought.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #96
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
    Talking Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by veggie girl
    Oh also, if you add a little protein to your fruit, your body processes it better and there is no gas - according to one fitness mag I read.

I do remember eating dinner and for desert making a fruit salad with a dolop of plain yoghurt, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of chopped nuts and I was fine....but when I went to a friends house, we ate dinner and she served a plain fruit salad for dessert and within the hour my stomach was gurgling and I felt like my stomach was bloated. Also,I was hungry again within an hour!!!!!

So, I think theres definately something in the 'don't eat fruit after food' school of thought.
    Okay, I'll try to eat protein with my fruit, actually...remember I said that I usually eat fruit with my cottage cheese and/or yogurt. I really don't like to eat fruit without anything for some reason. Thanks for all the advice, I may even pick up that book "You are What You Eat." Sounds like a good book from the title.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #97
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

Go Jess.. GO Jess...

to Rehanna, I hear ya..but, its a very heathy diet tho all n' all we are eating better then the rest..duh!!.. there are so many restaurants here with gluten free menus..hehe How long have you been on this diet?..Me iv been on it for 11 months..and, put on almost 60lbs..ayyay but, i needed to put on this weight cuz i was under wieght and last year at this time i looked like hell like i was dieing..ouch..Its crazy what junk food can do to you....

KEEP IT UP GUYS..you'r doing great

Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 PM   #98
    tdot
    (female)

tdot HB User

There have actually been studies that show that you can eat healthy on a budget. Here are some tips:

HEALTHY EATING ON A BUDGET

Most people believe that you can’t eat healthy on a tight budget. This grocery store tour will help you learn the skills you will need to face the grocery store without feeling anxious and stressed. You can definitely eat healthy on a budget, you just need to learn how!

Tip # 1 STICK TO THE OUTSIDE PERIMETER OF THE STORE
    • You will find the four food groups on the perimeter of the grocery store - vegetables and fruits as you walk in the door, meats at the back, and milk products and breads on the side.
    • You will need to venture into the middle isles for things like frozen and canned fruits and vegetables, pastas, rice and spices. Try to avoid the dreaded junk-food isle which contains chips, pop and candy.

Tip # 2 CHECK OUT THE UNIT PRICE
    • A unit price is listed on every item in a grocery store. It shows the price of the product per 100g or 100 ml.
    • Because the unit price of foods are measured by the same amount you can compare the prices of the foods without difficult math. If the unit price of one food is lower than another and it has the same or similar nutritional information, it’s a deal!
    • Example: Prego Orig. Tomato Sauce Unit Price $0.443/100 ml
    No Name Tomato Sauce Unit Price $0.198/100 ml

Tip # 3 BUY NO NAME PRODUCTS INSTEAD OF NATIONAL BRAND
    • No Name (Yellow label) products cost less and are good quality.
    • When you buy brand name products, you pay for advertising and recognition.
    • No Name products are sometimes produced by national brand distributors. You may be buying the same product for half the price!
    • Example: Heinz Ketchup Unit Price = $0.349/100 ml
    No Name Ketchup Unit Price = $0.169/100 ml

Tip # 4 BUY IN BULK
    • Buying dry goods such as cereal in bulk is a great way to save money. If you know you will like the product and will eat it on a regular basis, then you should buy the item bulk.
    • Foods which are good to buy in bulk include flour, oats, pastas, and rice.
    • Example: Shreddies Regular Box Unit Price $0.68/100 g
    Shreddies Mega box Unit Price $ 0.56/100 g

Tip # 5 GO FROZEN OR GET CANNED!
    • Buying a variety of fruits and vegetables is expensive, especially when items are out of season in your region. By buying frozen or canned fruits and vegetables, you will save money without sacrificing nutrition.
    • Frozen vegetables are a better choice because they have the same nutrients as fresh vegetables. Canned vegetables have less fibre than frozen and more salt so should be a second choice to frozen. Types of frozen vegetables include broccoli, green beans, peas, corn, brussels sprouts, lima beans, spinach and carrots.
    • Buy canned fruit in juice to save money. Beware of canned fruit in syrup. Types of canned fruit include canned peaches, pears, applesauce, mixed fruit and pineapple.
    • Example: Fresh Mushrooms Unit Price (Calculated) $1.36/100 g
    Canned Mushrooms Unit Price $0.419/100 g

Tip # 6 BE SMART!
    • Plan a weekly menu. Start with the main item of the meal, often meat and build from there adding grain products and vegetables. Remember to add healthy snack foods, beverages and foods for special outings to you list.
    • Make a shopping list. It helps you prevent forgetting things when you shop. As well, it helps you to only buy the foods you need and will cut down on impulse buying.
    • Don’t shop on an empty stomach! If you’re hungry when you’re grocery shopping, you will purchase more food than you need. Have a snack before you enter the store. It will make your grocery shopping experience more enjoyable.

* Canadian Prices

Closed Thread