It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Hummus...good or bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #31
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User
    Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    But how do you explain a high IgG test to gluten, or are you saying that that's not a true indication? I thought that you could gve me an idea about what IgG 38 means??? I'm getting impatient and the secretary never called me back since I couldn't hear her when I was shopping. You seem like you know this stuff.
    THanks
    The test results you got back are not conclusive of Celiac disease. It means you have antibodies present in your blood. That can mean a number of things. What I did say was there are now more conclusive non-invasive tests that are conclusive and those are what I suggested. I also suggest you treat yourself as a Celiac until proven otherwise by the tests I suggested. So go gluten free and educate yourself about hidden gluten in foods and drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #32
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by racehorse
    The test results you got back are not conclusive of Celiac disease. It means you have antibodies present in your blood. That can mean a number of things. What I did say was there are now more conclusive non-invasive tests that are conclusive and those are what I suggested. I also suggest you treat yourself as a Celiac until proven otherwise by the tests I suggested. So go gluten free and educate yourself about hidden gluten in foods and drugs.
    Oh okay thank you. Does it mean there is DEFINITELY something wrong, even though it may not be gluten? I read that it could very well be gluten in one article, then another article said that it could be a number of things like you said. I guess I'll have to wait. If this non invasive conclusive test indicates a negatve response, then what should I do? My doc is very busy and he didn't call me back today, i'll be talking to him tomorrow i hope.

Where do I get this at home test?

Last edited by Jess75; 06-28-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #33
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

If they are both negative for Celiac/gluten intolerance then you have something else going on. My guess is that you may/maynot have celiac but certainly are at least gluten intolerant.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #34
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by racehorse
    If they are both negative for Celiac/gluten intolerance then you have something else going on. My guess is that you may/maynot have celiac but certainly are at least gluten intolerant.
    No, like I said, one of them were positive the IgG so I'm still waiting to talk to the doc. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #35
    ratboy83
    Inactive
    (male)

ratboy83 HB User

hi racecoarse,

does your diet involve eating everything raw (including the meat you mention)? i have read that the reason for much of man's disease is his consumption of cooked foods. of yeah, and for the gas with the legumes try papaya enzyme and chew your food!

alex.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #36
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

I guess my post did not connect so again ... I don't eat all raw but eat most meat rare. I eat large amounts of raw veg but some such as cruciferous ones like in the cabbage family lightly steamed as raw they can be goitrogenic. I hadn't heard about the papapya solution to legumes but I don't eat them. Phytates, protease inhibitors, haemagluttins, isoflavones present way too much downside for an amino acid profile that is lacking. The enzyme question is interesting with some believing that human ancestors may have controlled fire for over a half million years and so roasted and baked meats and some plant foods for long enough for evolution to accomodate the changes in food chemistry. Others think this "cooking" is of much more recent vintage and such evolutionary change could not have happened. Therefore, the unheated enzymes would be more key. Because of custom, palate and hygiene I don't personally see moving to an all raw diet (which would include animal foods) but I see no reason why it wouldn't be very healthy.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 AM   #37
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
    Question Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdot
    LS,

If you are worried about the calories in store bought hummus, make it yourself! I was vegetarian for 10 years + had a family who was crazy about healthy food. My Dad started making hummus when I was about 14 (10 years ago) and then I started making it too. I usually make it once a week and with the recipe I use, I never feel guilty about eating a lot of it.

Here is my recipe. Give it a try!

1 can chick peas, drained
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
    juice of 2 lemons
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp cumin
    salt and pepper to taste
    1-3 tbsp of water (depending on how thick/smooth you like it)

Basically what I do is I puree the garlic the food processor, then I had the lemon juice, chick peas, tahini and so on. I drizzle the olive oil in slowly so it is smooth

*Tip: If you would like it to be really low fat, use only 1 tbsp olive oil and use water to make it smooth

This recipe is really low fat (and the fat used is healthy fat) and high in protein! I eat it everyday!!!

ENJOY!
    How do you prepare the chickpeas? Straight from the can? Raw? Or do you cook them first, or something? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:14 AM   #38
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I do almost the same as justme, except I add a couple squirts of Hot Sauce (Franks or Louisiana) and make 3 cans at once...I HATE to clean the food processor!

The canned peas are precooked so just dumpinto a collander to drain a couple minutes (rinse or not as you choose) and then just dump all ingredients into the CuisineArt!
    I found an improvement the last couple times: used TOASTED tahini (sesame paste.) It's harder to find but once you open the jar and the smell of the toasted seeds fills the room, you'll be sold. It keeps FOREVER in the fridge.
    I also add a Tbsp of sesame oil! (I LIKE sesame)

Put into a bunch of small dishes and covered, you can enjoy the hummus on pita for a week or two. A few seconds to warm in the microwave before serving brings out the flavor more.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-18-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:45 AM   #39
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

How many oz yields are in 1 can chickpeas? Sorry for all of these questions lol... just wanna get the recipe right

Old 07-19-2005, 01:25 PM   #40
    tdot
    (female)

tdot HB User

Sorry Justme, not sure. I'm the type of cook that I just throw it all in and it ends up tasting incredible. My friends believe my food is magic and I never use a recipe. Actually the one above, I basically made up. I just kinda follow what my Dad did, but changed a few things.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #41
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

I went thru a phase of eating hummus. It is so delicious! I stopped myself from buying it, because I thought it was too many carbs. Just recently, I saw that hummus is on the list to eat when on a low-carb diet. I might buy more now that I know that!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #42
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

by the way do you puree the chickpeas? lol..t nx

Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #43
    tdot
    (female)

tdot HB User

The chickpeas end up being pureed in the food processor along with the other ingredients. If you follow the recipe, it should come out ok.

Closed Thread