It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Why I don't drink milk

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2005, 07:50 AM   #16
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User
    Re: Why I don't drink milk

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auntjudyg
    I've never seen figures, but I would be willing to wager that plant products cause more allergies in humans than animal products.
    No I believe they do, but animal based products, in general are worse for a human than plants.

The risks of consuming animal products are so extreme that I think its silly that companies still try to make consumers believe there is benefits. ("Milk helps you lose weight"...."Beef, its whats for dinner")

We are always taught to eat our meat and drink our milk...When in reality these are the things that we should limit the most.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #17
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kari7171
    I love Cow's Milk. I think it is my favorite beverage. I tried to drink soy milk but it taste's nothing like it and it does not taste good to me. It's too sweet. My grandpa loves cows milk and he is 101 years old now and still doing good. I think there is just a bunch of hype against cows milk because the soy people want to make money too. It's funny someone at my work talked about how she has never liked milk and then this study came out against drinking it and she was so happy to hear that. So she said it was not healthy for her anyway. She is a smoker. A bit of a contradiction.
    Soy milk isn't a good substitute anyway. I tried it and it made me just as stuffy and congested as cows' milk. What's ironic is that we think we have to drink some kind of milk!!! Do you realize how much influence the dairy industry has on the FDA?? On the official "food pyramid"? It's scary.

My dad drinks lots of milk, too. He's 80 and very, very healthy, but I think that's becuase 1) people in his family tend to live a long time, and 2) he takes excellent care of himself. Doesn't drink or smoke, exercises a lot, avoids sweets, eats lots of fish, fruits, vegetables, whole grains. So of course drinking milk isn't going to kill him. He does have anemia, though, which some sources link to milk.

The former head of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins blamed a lot of childhood diseases (asthma and appendicitis, for two) on dairy. He's dead now, but he was in that job for about 10 years. He is nobody to be ignored!! A lot of notable doctors are now coming over to his side.

Please remember - I said pasteurized milk, not regular, natural cows' milk. Natural, organic milk is a wonderful food.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #18
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SammyT
    ah screw it ! milk is good and has lots of calcium and protien...lol
    Yes, it does. And how does the body absorb this calcium & protein??? ENZYMES. That are all KILLED by pasteurization. What's the point of drinking the nutrients if you can't absorb them?

Old 06-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xismybaby
    No I believe they do, but animal based products, in general are worse for a human than plants.

The risks of consuming animal products are so extreme that I think its silly that companies still try to make consumers believe there is benefits. ("Milk helps you lose weight"...."Beef, its whats for dinner")

We are always taught to eat our meat and drink our milk...When in reality these are the things that we should limit the most.
    Raw milk and completely organic beef are actually quite good for a lot of people. We anemic, low-cholesterol types really benefit from a nice juicy steak. Other people do better as vegetarians, or just with fish and chicken. It's all individual. My point was that symptoms are more common when the food is NOT organic.......!!!!

Old 06-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #20
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    What about organic milk? THe only problem with that is the pasturization(killing of some essential vitamins). Other than that, organic milk definitely doesn't have puss in it, that's why it's organic, right??? I sure hope lol. yuk
    It is better for you, because they don't use the growth hormones & antibiotics, and they feed the cows grass, which is what they should be fed (it's where they get all that calcium!). The organic dairies do the best they can, but if the law says they have to pasteurize it, then they gotta do it. But you're right - it's much healthier than the pus-y stuff.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #21
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auntjudyg
    My understanding is that the absorption from whole, raw milk is really not too bad, as these things go. Though, I agree a larger percentage is absorbed from many vegetable sources.
    You said it - whole, RAW milk. Raw milk can be absorbed because it still has all those enzymes intact. And that's another thing - skim milk is NOT healthier. The cream part has vital nutrients that help your body absorb the non-cream part. And the cream in raw milk is not poison, as so many would like us to believe. For most little children, it's probably an excellent health food!

Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 AM   #22
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerry1
    Raw milk and completely organic beef are actually quite good for a lot of people. We anemic, low-cholesterol types really benefit from a nice juicy steak. Other people do better as vegetarians, or just with fish and chicken. It's all individual. My point was that symptoms are more common when the food is NOT organic.......!!!!

hey Kerry, I agree that organic and raw are good, but most americans DO NOT drink or eat organic animal products. When you go out to a restaurant I bet you are not getting completely organic beef. I was just saying in general, the way Americans eat beef and drink milk, is not healthy.

I agree everyone is different and some people do better eating different things, but if you are not eating organically (goes for both animal products and plants)...there is always a negative.

GO ORGANIC!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #23
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

The human body was designed by nature and evolution to consume human breast milk for a few years. An adaptation by a limited number humans to tolerate cow's milk has developed in the past 10,000 years (an eye blink in evolutionary time) but for most of us MILK IS NOT FOOD. The connection with many diseases including type 1 diabetes and autoimmune diseases and milk drinking is strong. I personally think eating what evolution designed us to eat is the best/only diet to eat and that doesn't include milk ... raw, organic, pasturized, homogenized, rotted into cheese, fermented or processed by mad food scientists it still isn't food.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #24
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by racehorse
    The human body was designed by nature and evolution to consume human breast milk for a few years. An adaptation by a limited number humans to tolerate cow's milk has developed in the past 10,000 years (an eye blink in evolutionary time) but for most of us MILK IS NOT FOOD. The connection with many diseases including type 1 diabetes and autoimmune diseases and milk drinking is strong. I personally think eating what evolution designed us to eat is the best/only diet to eat and that doesn't include milk ... raw, organic, pasturized, homogenized, rotted into cheese, fermented or processed by mad food scientists it still isn't food.
    I still think of raw milk as a food, but milk is overconsumed. We all need a balanced diet, and it's hard to vary your diet when so many of your calories are provided by MILK. The dairy industry is very eager for you to consume at least 3 glasses a day, but they would be, wouldn't they? Kefir and yogurt are good for you if you're dairy-tolerant. Meat is good for you too, but we don't need it every single day, the way the beef industry would have you believe.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #25
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerry1
    I still think of raw milk as a food, but milk is overconsumed. We all need a balanced diet, and it's hard to vary your diet when so many of your calories are provided by MILK. The dairy industry is very eager for you to consume at least 3 glasses a day, but they would be, wouldn't they? Kefir and yogurt are good for you if you're dairy-tolerant. Meat is good for you too, but we don't need it every single day, the way the beef industry would have you believe.
    I couldn't agree with you more!

Old 06-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #26
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xismybaby
    hey Kerry, I agree that organic and raw are good, but most americans DO NOT drink or eat organic animal products. When you go out to a restaurant I bet you are not getting completely organic beef. I was just saying in general, the way Americans eat beef and drink milk, is not healthy.

I agree everyone is different and some people do better eating different things, but if you are not eating organically (goes for both animal products and plants)...there is always a negative.

GO ORGANIC!
    I couldn't agree with you more too!!!

Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #27
    rboyette
    (female)

rboyette HB User

Where would you purchase organic meat? Does anyone know? I also agree with the milk discussion. I only eat it with a high fiber/protein cereal only 1/2 cup and that's it. I use Lactaid 2% b/c lactose doesn't agree with me. If you know what I mean.

Cheryl

Old 06-24-2005, 10:35 PM   #28
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rboyette
    Where would you purchase organic meat? Does anyone know? I also agree with the milk discussion. I only eat it with a high fiber/protein cereal only 1/2 cup and that's it. I use Lactaid 2% b/c lactose doesn't agree with me. If you know what I mean.

Cheryl
    I don't understand why you would eat any amount of milk if it "doesn't agree with" you?Don't you think your body is trying to tell you something? Milk is not an adult food.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #29
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Most big cities have at least one organic deli somewhere. The taste of organic meat is SO much better, too.

Some states don't allow raw milk to be sold, so if you can't buy it raw through a store or co-op, you have to find somebody who owns a few cows and make a deal with them. Or buy your own cows. Easier to do when you're rural!

I agree that milk is not an "adult food" but neither are a lot of foods we consume. Some people like the taste. Personally, if I want cereal I use almond milk. But some people can't get used to alternate milks.

Remember that no matter how much calcium you consume, it won't help your bones without weight-bearing exercise!!

Old 06-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #30
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

I think there may be some confusion about "organic beef." Organic beef might be grain finished as long as the feed is organic and that would result in exactly the same beef (less pesticides and hormones) that you get at the supermarket. What IS desireable is beef that has been grass raised and finished, eating only natural pasture and not fed extra grain before slaughter.

Closed Thread