It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Why I don't drink milk

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #31
    hillaryb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hillaryb HB User
    Re: Why I don't drink milk

My brother and my children are lactose intolerant. Once you've witnessed your toddler projectile-vomiting, I think eliminating the milk products is reasonable. Their bodies simply cannot digest it. I read somewhere that 80% of the population has trouble digesting milk and milk products. On another note, I was always allergic to beef. Only in California though. I had severe stomach cramps that usually lasted for 4-6 hours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #32
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by racehorse
    I think there may be some confusion about "organic beef." Organic beef might be grain finished as long as the feed is organic and that would result in exactly the same beef (less pesticides and hormones) that you get at the supermarket. What IS desireable is beef that has been grass raised and finished, eating only natural pasture and not fed extra grain before slaughter.
    Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know about that process of "grain finishing". My main concern, of course, is the LACK of hormones & antibiotics.

I have a theory about commercial dairy - they wean the calves quickly so that more of the milk can be processed for human consumption. Doesn't a mother cow get stressed out when her calf is snatched away from her?? Wouldn't that cause her to produce "stress chemicals", like adrenaline or cortisol? I'm guessing that gets into the milk products, too.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #33
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerry1
    Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know about that process of "grain finishing". My main concern, of course, is the LACK of hormones & antibiotics.

I have a theory about commercial dairy - they wean the calves quickly so that more of the milk can be processed for human consumption. Doesn't a mother cow get stressed out when her calf is snatched away from her?? Wouldn't that cause her to produce "stress chemicals", like adrenaline or cortisol? I'm guessing that gets into the milk products, too.
    Why are we so greedy? Those poor cows

Just like before the cows are getting ready for slaughter, they see all the other cows getting killed and they hear them screaming (they are in a line). During this time the cows change...They become very stressed and their bodies chemicals change.

oh those poor cows...I want to go to those disgusting slaughter houses and set them free (as well as the chickens and pigs of course, then I'd have to go to the fur farms and set those animals free as well)...Thats a busy day

Old 06-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #34
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes about digesting milk and, 80% of the population has problems digesting it..i probably agree with that but, did you also know that according to Dr.Fine 1 out 2 have problems digesting wheat and, wheat products.. eating wheat 6 or 7 meals a day is over doing it.. its becoming an abuse.. hmm

Old 06-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #35
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

Dairy, wheat (and other grains) legumes, vegetable oils and starchy vegs are all part of the disasterous American diet. For those of you who haven't tried the paleo thread please do and also use your search engine to find out more about paleo diets.

Old 06-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #36
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Here's a kicker: milk isn't the only food that causes major digestive problems. Ever hear of fructose intolerance? It's relatively a new discovery and it's digestive problems when ingesting fruit-based sugars such as high fructrose corn syrup and yes some natural fruits that are high in fructose content. My daughter found out it was the source of her stomach problems and now on the low fructose diet she is fine. She went back to milk because at first doctors told her it was no doubt the milk but eliminating it just didn't solve her problems.

So picking on milk is irrelevant on that level since many people have many different food intolerances. My hubby can't digest tomato sauce well at all yet I'm just peachy with it.

I tend to listen to mainly exercise physiologists and sports nutritionists more instead of hype that possibly was created to sell more soy milk products?

One in particular one said in a news article that the attacks on milk are largely hype "Let's face it, dietary fat as the `bad guy' is old news, and every good story needs a bad guy," "Milk is the new bad guy of the day. After a while, it'll get back to beef, then maybe sugar. It's the cycle of 100-percentunfounded food bashing.

Here's some more info: Milk has alot of protein and that protein contains all eight essential amino acids, which means it's complete and can be readily used by your body for repair and growth. Milk actually includes two types of protein. Both are recognized as high-quality, muscle-building proteins; in fact, whey is currently the most common form of protein found in bodybuilding supplements.

A recent report published in the American Journal of Physiology that examined the body's anabolic response to whey, casein and amino-acid consumption, show whey to be a fast-acting protein absorbed quickly for use by muscles. Casein digests more slowly, providing your body with a steady stream of protein over time.

Milk has a lot more nutrients than just protein: vitamins D, A, [B.sub.2] and [B.sup.12], phosphorous, electrolytes and calcium all of which must be replenished if you're working your butt off in the gym.

Keep in mind that when you sweat you lose calcium as well as the electrolytes sodium and potassium.

I go to the gym for a reason, to get some lean muscle and if milk helps me, well, then I going with that. And so far so good folks I must admit.

Just more food for thought....

Old 06-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #37
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    Here's a kicker: milk isn't the only food that causes major digestive problems. Ever hear of fructose intolerance? It's relatively a new discovery and it's digestive problems when ingesting fruit-based sugars such as high fructrose corn syrup and yes some natural fruits that are high in fructose content. My daughter found out it was the source of her stomach problems and now on the low fructose diet she is fine. She went back to milk because at first doctors told her it was no doubt the milk but eliminating it just didn't solve her problems.

So picking on milk is irrelevant on that level since many people have many different food intolerances. My hubby can't digest tomato sauce well at all yet I'm just peachy with it.

I tend to listen to mainly exercise physiologists and sports nutritionists more instead of hype that possibly was created to sell more soy milk products?

One in particular one said in a news article that the attacks on milk are largely hype "Let's face it, dietary fat as the `bad guy' is old news, and every good story needs a bad guy," "Milk is the new bad guy of the day. After a while, it'll get back to beef, then maybe sugar. It's the cycle of 100-percentunfounded food bashing.

Here's some more info: Milk has alot of protein and that protein contains all eight essential amino acids, which means it's complete and can be readily used by your body for repair and growth. Milk actually includes two types of protein. Both are recognized as high-quality, muscle-building proteins; in fact, whey is currently the most common form of protein found in bodybuilding supplements.

A recent report published in the American Journal of Physiology that examined the body's anabolic response to whey, casein and amino-acid consumption, show whey to be a fast-acting protein absorbed quickly for use by muscles. Casein digests more slowly, providing your body with a steady stream of protein over time.

Milk has a lot more nutrients than just protein: vitamins D, A, [B.sub.2] and [B.sup.12], phosphorous, electrolytes and calcium all of which must be replenished if you're working your butt off in the gym.

Keep in mind that when you sweat you lose calcium as well as the electrolytes sodium and potassium.

I go to the gym for a reason, to get some lean muscle and if milk helps me, well, then I going with that. And so far so good folks I must admit.

Just more food for thought....
    Yes, very perfect example of my constant mind changing, one minute i'll drink milk and then next week i'm not.LOL Losec knows!

Last edited by Jess75; 06-25-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:54 PM   #38
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

In moderation my dear

Old 06-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #39
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I just wanted to say I love milk and I drink it every day cows milk from the grocery store. I have never had any problems from it and no one I know has either. It seems that people who hate milk like to try to dis it and people who have an intoleranced to it. Like they are trying to look for a reasoning or defense that they don't drink it and want to defend there decision to others.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:23 PM   #40
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

No Kari we dont think so, personally I can drink milk anykind it doesnt bother me BUT, what we are trying to explain is that it should be varied with diferent types of other milks..this way you dont develop an allergy to it..its just a more intelligent way of eating or drinking.. same goes for wheat, people are eating wheat in large amounts on a daily basis, then feel uncomfortable with digestion and, wonder why.. what im saying is there are so many diferent types of grains..why not vary..you know. like you can get rice flour muffins, or corn crusts pizzas, etc..do you understand.. This way you wont develop a wheat allergy or a sensitivity to it. .. same goes with the milk..

Old 06-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #41
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    No Kari we dont think so, personally I can drink milk anykind it doesnt bother me BUT, what we are trying to explain is that it should be varied with diferent types of other milks..this way you dont develop an allergy to it..its just a more intelligent way of eating or drinking.. same goes for wheat, people are eating wheat in large amounts on a daily basis, then feel uncomfortable with digestion and, wonder why.. what im saying is there are so many diferent types of grains..why not vary..you know. like you can get rice flour muffins, or corn crusts pizzas, etc..do you understand.. This way you wont develop a wheat allergy or a sensitivity to it. .. same goes with the milk..
    Oh, so usually a person develops an allergy when they OVERCONSUME something? That isn't always the case is it?? i mean, genetics is a factor too right??

Old 06-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #42
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

that too, but I developed it because i ate pretty bad all my life and, was often sick..i knda had those symptoms you have jess... and, maybe a couple more. My body was giving me warnings but, i never listened to it. Im sure you know what im saying jess..

Old 06-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #43
    rboyette
    (female)

rboyette HB User

Back to my post on pg. 6, I have never had a problem with milk. But since I changed to drinking lactaid milk 2% which is lactose free I like it a lot better.To me its much better than drinking regular milk. I will never quit drinking milk but I do limit my intake of dairy everyday. I will check around some organic meat suppliers.

cheryl

Old 06-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #44
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Jennita, I have never heard of fructose intolerance but I'd believe it. They put it in everything these days and it makes me sick, too, like milk. I don't drink pasteurized or processed fruit juice, either!! In fact, I don't drink much except water.

I don't think you understood my point in "milk-bashing". My argument is NOT 100% unfounded. I am differentiating between raw milk and processed milk. These are two completely different foods. Raw milk is a good food; processed milk is not. That is my heavily researched opinion. VERY heavily researched. No, not everyone reacts to it like I do. If they did, nobody would drink it. I don't doubt the soy industry is trying to overtake the market; the dairy industry now dominates. I don't know anything about soy, so I can't comment. I just know I can't tolerate IT, either. My argument is not really against milk itself, but against non-organic, overprocessed, over-hyped foods.

Calcium? I read a study that said that dairy-consuming countries have a much higher incidence of osteoporosis. I've heard that processed milk actually leaches calcium out of your bones, because it's so acidic (raw milk is more akaline). True, this study may be biased. Most studies are biased.

I don't disagree with any of you who are bashing wheat & gluten. Wheat used to be a healthy grain, but it's been hybridized so much that our bodies don't even recognize it as a food anymore. So we develop "allergies" to it.

I don't know much about allergies, but in most people I think they're caused by eating TOO MUCH of TOO MANY irritants. There's something called a "threshhold" - you can eat a bunch of junk and breathe in a lot of pollens, but your body won't react until you eat just ONE more little thing and your whole body starts going into crisis mode.

I'm glad I started this discussion, though - people need to at least THINK about what they're putting in their mouths. And please remember, I called this thread "Why I don't drink milk", not "why YOU shouldn't".

Last edited by kerry1; 06-26-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #45
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I also read that the reason why many people develope osteo is because their diet is crappy. For example, "magnesium" is needed in order for calcium to be properly assimilated. If one eats a good diet that contains leafy greens, nuts, seeds, vegetables, whole grains(which all are high in magnesium), then the calcium from the milk is easily absorbed.

THat's interesting about the study done regarding acidity though.....probably true.

Closed Thread