It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Why I don't drink milk

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2005, 10:25 AM   #46
    hillaryb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hillaryb HB User
    Re: Why I don't drink milk

Ahhh, Kerry, I think I remember reading that info from you a while ago. This debate is nothing new. As for the whole "threshold" idea, I read about this years ago, but they compared the reaction to a bathtub that after so much water (irritants) is added, it overflows. I think anyone who wants to drink milk should. I DO find it scary that the same government that says lunches can consist of cheeseburgers, french fries, chicken nuggets, and pizza is requiring my preschool-age child to drink a full serving of milk with that meal. I dont really blame milk for this, but America has soooo many obese children, it frightens me. I love it when I take my daughters to a fast-food restaraunt (like once in a blue moon) and someone says "you can't play until you finish you cheeseburger and fries". haha. Hilarious!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #47
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

I get what you are saying kerry1, but in effect it makes me feel we need to also eat raw meat then...cooking is also a form of "processing" to kill bacteria. But raw meat isn't so easy to eat and digest and could be dangerous with bacteria.

So the question is, is raw always better?

For example, for years we heard that raw vegetables were best; then one day I hear that the body can digest cooked(not overcooked) ones better thus better absorbtion of the nutrients! Then later on, it was back to the raw being better.

The food bashing theory might just be what's going on. It's a business I suppose like everything else.

Hey there, I'm not meaning to sound argumentative here....I myself sometimes have a hard time sorting it all out too. The information over the years is so conflicting it makes your head spin. I mean, seriously, you can find fault with just about every food....fat and chlosteral in meat and dairy, mercury in fish; salmonella in chicken, eggs and turkey; gluten/carbs in bread and pasta; and even things like insecticide use with fruit and vegetables!

Now I've read even supplements, if they are not from food sources, can create deficiencies for lack of proper co-factors like enzyemes and whatnot.

What is a person to do?

I guess we just do our best. Personally, I am a fan of Organic whenever I can find it with dairy and produce. I try to limit amounts of boxed/processed foods and fast foods. I buy Twinlabs Food Based Vitamins and Cod liver Oil. Eat more chicken, fish, turkey.

Try to eat as natural as I can but of course I have weaknesses too (cola and chocolate candy to the point of needing an intervention).

I guess though, if one really hates milk or doesn't think it's good for them perhaps there are other alternatives to get the proteins and calcium so that's ok too.

But maybe we all should take the hype and food bashing with a grain of salt?

Oh, wait, salt isn't supposed to be good for you either, right? Oh, I take that back. It is good for you, because it has an important mineral, iodine, (that is if you buy iodinized salt or natural sea salt).

But then again, it does have sodium and too much of that isn't good, right? UGGHHHHHHHH....

Old 06-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #48
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillaryb
    Ahhh, Kerry, I think I remember reading that info from you a while ago. This debate is nothing new. As for the whole "threshold" idea, I read about this years ago, but they compared the reaction to a bathtub that after so much water (irritants) is added, it overflows. I think anyone who wants to drink milk should. I DO find it scary that the same government that says lunches can consist of cheeseburgers, french fries, chicken nuggets, and pizza is requiring my preschool-age child to drink a full serving of milk with that meal. I dont really blame milk for this, but America has soooo many obese children, it frightens me. I love it when I take my daughters to a fast-food restaraunt (like once in a blue moon) and someone says "you can't play until you finish you cheeseburger and fries". haha. Hilarious!
    I believe this a big part of what's wrong! NOt only is the quality of the food not good in fast food, but the fact is sometimes the quantity is too big. Taking in too many calories than one burns up is the direct link to obesity. That's why I spilt with people when I go out; if I can't do that, I box what I can't eat comfortably up for either a snack the next or as a treat for my doggies.

Cleaning your plate should become obsolete IMHO> Smaller portions seem to be the well-kept secret of many other countries as we've seen on nutritional programs on obesity that our average take out American muffins outweigh and dwarf the ones they serve in Europe and other places.

But yeah, easier said than done especially when the food tastes soooo good and you are hungry, not to mention the prices and if you are not able to go directly home with the unfinished food, well, it's hard to leave it as well.

But I think it has to be done!

My in-laws make their kids finish every bite too even if they are at home, though, and their kids are getting a bit chunky lately....so hilliaryb, you bring up a very good point it seems today this is the trend and childhood obesity is the result!

Old 06-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #49
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Jennita, I'm not saying we should eat raw meat. I certainly have no desire to.

But as someone who's battled health problems my whole life, I'm pretty angry when I find out that something that's "supposed to be" healthy is actually doing me a lot of harm. It's not as harmful to everyone, of course, but nobody EVER suggested to me that I might possibly improve my health by eliminating milk. I found this out all by myself after taking lots of antibiotics, cortisone, spending lots of money on doctors, not getting any questions answered, and fearing for my life. Yes, I'm BITTER about it.

I did a bunch of online research about it AFTER accidentally finding out that milk was making me sick, and that extra Vitamin C decreased my symptoms. Lord only knows what all the cortisone and antibiotics did to my immune system. And they call this "health care".

Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 AM   #50
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

is non-fat milk bad too? cos i eat it with my oatmeal purridge.

how bout yogurt and cottage cheese then?

Last edited by justme_; 06-27-2005 at 04:23 AM.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #51
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kari7171
    I just wanted to say I love milk and I drink it every day cows milk from the grocery store. I have never had any problems from it and no one I know has either. It seems that people who hate milk like to try to dis it and people who have an intoleranced to it. Like they are trying to look for a reasoning or defense that they don't drink it and want to defend there decision to others.
    Certainly this does happen in discussions such as these, but that's not all of it. There are many food products that people have eaten all their lives and will insist they cause no problems at all. But, the negative effects SOME foods have on SOME people builds up over time. I would wager a LOT of money that there are many people out there would be very surprised at how much better they feel if they eliminated most pasteurized, homogenized milk products from their diets. (Ditto wheat, BTW - it's not just milk as someone pointed out fructose - it's just that this thread started about milk.) And just because someone has no ill effect from something, doesn't mean there is not something better for them. The internet is a great place to learn about things like raw milk. Reading about it might spur some to action to join campaigns to get it more widely available.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:49 AM   #52
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justme_
    is non-fat milk bad too? cos i eat it with my oatmeal purridge.

how bout yogurt and cottage cheese then?
    If you don't suffer from any problems like sinus infections, constipation, diarrhea, or the like then NO it's not bad....well the non organic kind is bad with all of the hormones in it.(i think). Organic milk is like a dollar more. So if you feel good, and eat a well balanced diet, then I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a good source of calcium and protein, b vitamins, phosphorus etc. Just make sure that your getting magnesium (green leafy veggies, nuts, whole grains) so that the calcium is properly assimilated. People have been drinking milk for MANY years, and some can handle it and some can't. That's my advice.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-27-2005 at 06:58 AM.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:52 AM   #53
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    I get what you are saying kerry1, but in effect it makes me feel we need to also eat raw meat then...cooking is also a form of "processing" to kill bacteria. But raw meat isn't so easy to eat and digest and could be dangerous with bacteria.

So the question is, is raw always better?
    I'm not sure how you get to raw meat conclusion. Pasteurizing is not cooking. No one is saying not to have pudding or whatever now and then (which would contain cooked milk). Same with meat. [First, I don't agree that raw meat isn't so easy to eat and digest or that if properly raised has any great risk of dangerous bacteria. It has extra enzymes, too, that aid digestion.] It's not hard to find people who advocate eating at least some raw meat (personally, it's not my thing, but I see their point). But most of us like it cooked. Same with vegetables. Raw has extra vegetables, but most of like having some cooked.

Personally, I do think raw is almost always better. (I don't remember ever hearing the cooked veggies were better. When was that the vogue? The only thing along those lines I have heard it that cooked tomatoes allow better absorption.) But that doesn't stop me from cooking many foods.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:22 AM   #54
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicca
    If you don't suffer from any problems like sinus infections, constipation, diarrhea, or the like then NO it's not bad....well the non organic kind is bad with all of the hormones in it.(i think). Organic milk is like a dollar more. So if you feel good, and eat a well balanced diet, then I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a good source of calcium and protein, b vitamins, phosphorus etc. Just make sure that your getting magnesium (green leafy veggies, nuts, whole grains) so that the calcium is properly assimilated. People have been drinking milk for MANY years, and some can handle it and some can't. That's my advice.
    Thanks. Are yogurt and cottage cheese better though? I haven't ever been aware of any problems caused for me by milk consumation. But I'm half chinese and half east-european, so I think it's not as good for me? Is the organic milk really better than the non-organic one? I thought they were for animal-lovers, not health-freaks.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #55
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Thanks. Are yogurt and cottage cheese better though? I haven't ever been aware of any problems caused for me by milk consumation. But I'm half chinese and half east-european, so I think it's not as good for me? Is the organic milk really better than the non-organic one? I thought they were for animal-lovers, not health-freaks.
    Oh no no, organic milk is for health freaks who don't want to drink hormones and antibiotics that the cows are getting injected with for growth, plus the antibiotics are for the SICK cows! Although the FDA does have standards, but I personally don't trust it!! It's worth the extra buck! I would say DEFINITELY organic! Cottage cheese and yogurt have less lactose in it and has the "healthy bacteria" in it that's good for inestinal health. Well I dunno about the non organic cottage cheese, but organic cottage cheese (horizon) has the good bacteria in it. BOth organic and non organic yogurt has the good bacteria. I don't know about the concept that different ethnic backrounds pose different concerns about milk except the fact that many african americans, and asian people lack the enzyme called "lactase" that is responsible for properly digesting milk. I don't know about any other "ethnic" backrounds. Do you suffer from any problems?

Old 06-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #56
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

I'm a bit asian, but I don't think I suffer from those things. Do you think I would have noticed it? Or is it just something you don't notice directly. I used to drink one glass of half-full milk when I was younger. And now I usually eat it with my oatmeal purridge. So I think it would be better to eat cottage cheese, though?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #57
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I'm a bit asian, but I don't think I suffer from those things. Do you think I would have noticed it? Or is it just something you don't notice directly. I used to drink one glass of half-full milk when I was younger. And now I usually eat it with my oatmeal purridge. So I think it would be better to eat cottage cheese, though?
    Here's what else that i forgot to mention. Many of us(I think past the age of 20) start to lose the ability to digest milk(i.e. the enzyme lactase). Not all though. I do believe that kids should be drinking milk(teens too) in conjunction with a healthy diet as well. Of course, like I said, the organic kind. And yes, you would recognize being lactose intolorant. I just wouldn't OVERDO the dairy. Dairy isn't the only source necessary to obtain calcium. Foods like greens, nuts, and fortified o.j is good etc. But, like I said, (in my opinion) enjoy your milk with your oatmeal(by the way, those who are lactose intolorant are able to digest dairy when it is combined with something, just like brocolli for me....i can't eat it unless it's cooked and mixed with something). I love cottage cheese, and I personally think it's a very good source of protein(with all of the amino acids). But, lately, i've been cutting out dairy(except for yogurt) and wheat to see if my constipation symptoms go away. Except yesterday, I did have ice cream and not that I think about it, i didn't feel all that great after I ate it....but i'm so used to feeling like that here and there that sometimes I don't even realise it.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #58
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Here's what else that i forgot to mention. Many of us(I think past the age of 20) start to lose the ability to digest milk(i.e. the enzyme lactase). Not all though. I do believe that kids should be drinking milk(teens too) in conjunction with a healthy diet as well. Of course, like I said, the organic kind. And yes, you would recognize being lactose intolorant. I just wouldn't OVERDO the dairy. Dairy isn't the only source necessary to obtain calcium. Foods like greens, nuts, and fortified o.j is good etc. But, like I said, (in my opinion) enjoy your milk with your oatmeal or plain(by the way, those who are lactose intolorant are able to digest dairy when it is combined with something, just like brocolli for me....i can't eat it unless it's cooked and mixed with something). I love cottage cheese, and I personally think it's a very good source of protein(with all of the amino acids). But, lately, i've been cutting out dairy(except for yogurt) and wheat to see if my constipation symptoms go away. Except yesterday, I did have ice cream and now that I think about it, i didn't feel all that great after I ate it....but i'm so used to feeling like that here and there that sometimes I don't even realise it.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-27-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #59
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Oh alright. Thanks. I usually eat like 200 grams of cottage cheese a day... is that bad? Because I thought it's really healthy. And about 80 ml of milk, but I'm getting kind of sick of purridge.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #60
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Oh alright. Thanks. I usually eat like 200 grams of cottage cheese a day... is that bad? Because I thought it's really healthy. And about 80 ml of milk, but I'm getting kind of sick of purridge.
    I don't know how many servings 200 grams is? And remember, everything that I told you is just MY opinion...as you see, there is so much conflicting anecdotal evidence out there but it's best to evaluate and research the topic yourself, and come to your own conclusion. WHat I said, is my conclusion.

Closed Thread