It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Why I don't drink milk

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #61
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
    Re: Why I don't drink milk

I guess, but you're really smart and seem like you know your stuff so I think I should trust you lol. Erm I meant 100 grams lol... I don't know what a regular serving size is. To me it's 2 serving sizes and it comes down to 55 kcal. It's actually not entirely cottage cheese, but I don't think they have this in the USA. Ever heard of the smoother version of cottage cheese, kind of like yogurt but thicker. Healthier, too.

Last edited by justme_; 06-27-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 09:17 AM   #62
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justme_
    I guess, but you're really smart and seem like you know your stuff so I think I should trust you lol. Erm I meant 100 grams lol... I don't know what a regular serving size is. To me it's 2 serving sizes and it comes down to 55 kcal. It's actually not entirely cottage cheese, but I don't think they have this in the USA. Ever heard of the smoother version of cottage cheese, kind of like yogurt but thicker. Healthier, too.
    Thanks, i'm smart, lol...I need to be SMARTER in this crazy world. What's Erm???? Never heard of the smoother version because I've been eating the horizen kind now for a while(except for the past 2 weeks or so). I tried light and lively and threw it away, i can't eat any other kind but horizen.lol But i never heard of anything that's not ENTIRELY cottage cheese...hmmm. How old are you?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #63
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Erm is like ummm...

haha Nevermind. I'm 17. The stuff that I'm talkin about is called 'kwark' in Dutch.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #64
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

A Note to Dairy Consumers:
    Sub-clinical symptoms may be the norm for most adult dairy consumers. Why not go dairy free for say,2-3 weeks and make a Mood/Food diary and see what happens. My guess is something like 3/5 of people will find themselves in better shape physically and mentally. Such an experiment is really not much of a hardship and the resulting information might greatly enhance your life. I would be v. interested in any doing this to post there results here for all of us to see the results.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #65
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by racehorse
    Why not go dairy free for say,2-3 weeks and make a Mood/Food diary and see what happens.
    Yeah, then after that, do the same thing with wheat!

Last edited by auntjudyg; 06-27-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #66
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

lol.. im with you guys, im with you guys.. but, note that if you do go DF/WF it must be for life..to really see true results.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #67
    justme_
    Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    lol.. im with you guys, im with you guys.. but, note that if you do go DF/WF it must be for life..to really see true results.
    Yeah right. I can't do that. It's hard enough to stay off obvious unhealthy things such as chocolate, mcdonalds, flour, white rice etc.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #68
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    Although, when you slip up, that's when you really learn you need to avoid whatever it is. I've slip on wheat a number of times when visiting/traveling and boy oh boy after I do there is NO doubt in my mind that wheat is best avoided!!!

Old 06-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #69
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by racehorse
    A Note to Dairy Consumers:
    Sub-clinical symptoms may be the norm for most adult dairy consumers. Why not go dairy free for say,2-3 weeks and make a Mood/Food diary and see what happens. My guess is something like 3/5 of people will find themselves in better shape physically and mentally. Such an experiment is really not much of a hardship and the resulting information might greatly enhance your life. I would be v. interested in any doing this to post there results here for all of us to see the results.
    Great idea! That's how I found out about dairy. When I went back on it I immediately felt sick, like within minutes.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:59 AM   #70
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Why I don't drink unfermented milk? Two words: LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.
    It's less now and I can get a LITTLE down. But I spent two decades where the only safe place I could drink a glass of milk was sitting on the toilet!

Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #71
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auntjudyg
    I'm not sure how you get to raw meat conclusion. Pasteurizing is not cooking. No one is saying not to have pudding or whatever now and then (which would contain cooked milk). Same with meat. [First, I don't agree that raw meat isn't so easy to eat and digest or that if properly raised has any great risk of dangerous bacteria. It has extra enzymes, too, that aid digestion.] It's not hard to find people who advocate eating at least some raw meat (personally, it's not my thing, but I see their point). But most of us like it cooked. Same with vegetables. Raw has extra vegetables, but most of like having some cooked.

Personally, I do think raw is almost always better. (I don't remember ever hearing the cooked veggies were better. When was that the vogue? The only thing along those lines I have heard it that cooked tomatoes allow better absorption.) But that doesn't stop me from cooking many foods.
    What I meant was, alot of things need "processing" of some sort; cooking is a form of processing too so I really meant was that everything we consume can't just be raw or in it's natural state all the time.

Supplements are a processed item as well. In fact, they are chemical isolates but many people here probably think they are just vitamins from natural sources and will down mega-doses since they feel the recommended 100% dosages are too low.

But the body deals with them like chemicals and proceeds to make efforts to wash them out (this is stressful on the liver and kidneys) so there is very little to gain and the incomplete isolates can cause deficiencies. Food-based will be the future vitamin I think as some already exist.

I know people who don't drink alot of milk or none at all who aren't so healthy or feel all that good so I'm not sure if it can all be pinned down to milk as far as feeling good/being healthy. I have been told by some doctors I'm healthy as a horse at 48 yrs. old and I drink usually 24 oz. of milk a day, give or take a day I might drink less. But I'll not give milk itself all the credit as I think it isn't the only factor either way.

The people who can't tolerate it or who are allergic probably should steer clear of it, though.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #72
    Smags
    (female)

Smags HB User

Cows milk is meant for their offspring...not for Human consumption (thats just common sense)...

That does make sense xis, but why did people start drinking other animals' milk in the first place then,we obviously need the nutrients from it.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #73
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Why I don't drink unfermented milk? Two words: LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.
    It's less now and I can get a LITTLE down. But I spent two decades where the only safe place I could drink a glass of milk was sitting on the toilet!
    I'm just curious, could you handle cottage cheese and yogurt?

Old 07-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #74
    racehorse
    Inactive
    (male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smags
    Cows milk is meant for their offspring...not for Human consumption (thats just common sense)...

That does make sense xis, but why did people start drinking other animals' milk in the first place then,we obviously need the nutrients from it.
    There is a lot involved, but the truth lies in the first statement. Dairy in not designed by evolution as a food for adult humans. The last part of your statement does not follow. Humans began agriculture and domestication of animals for varied and complex reasons. People began to use dairy because they could. Humans are vary adaptable but there is a price. Agricultural products (primarily grains) and dairy have produced the diseases of civilization. Remember it is well established that before agriculture 10,000 years ago there was essentially no CHD, diabetes, hypertension, obestiy, etc. So while some may be able to tolerate these new foods, most will pay some price for a lifetime of their use. MOST people have antibody reactions to dairy (subclinical) as they do for gluten (and other) grains. Modern dairy is an industrial pursuit that is highly contaminated by hormones, feed, and santitation issues. People should understand the risks before making a decision on whether to eat dairy products.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #75
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey racehorse, what do you think about goatmilk..?? lol.. and, are you allergic to milk aswell..?? and, how long have you been allergic to milk, was it from the beginning.. do you get heartburn somtimes..?? bye

Closed Thread