It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• NEED to gain weight.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #16
    Saphireteers

Saphireteers HB User
    Re: NEED to gain weight.

My husband wants to know how to gain weight on a "welfare" budget with 4 kids. He's 6'5 and weighs 169lbs and he's 32. He does weight lift, but he's taking it slow cause he just had kidney stone surgery. He needs a lot more calories per day, but we just don't have the finances for it, with 4 kids and one income, during the summer we've got 5 kids in our house, plus the two of us, there's just not enough groceries to go around.

It's become like a wolf pack, my oldest daughter seems to eat the most, more than any of the rest of us...and my husband seems to eat the least, we took his calories count for a couple days and it was under 2000, my daughter managed almost 3000 in a 24 hour period

how do you eat big on a welfare budget?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 05:08 PM   #17
    WOlfman67
    (male)

WOlfman67 HB User

I lost a lot of weight going through a stressful job situation. My doc says I should be at 136lbs. but instead I am at 123. Ick. I have had several blood tests and he says I'm within normal range on everything. But I am eatingand eating and I can't seem to gain anything back. I was at 145 before the job incident. I make Egg protein shakes in the morning loaded with soy milk, fresh blueberries, banana and etc.
    I have an appetite and I have strength to work out. Only months ago I had the worst GERD. I seem to have developed a gluten intolerance for breads. I stopped coffee, chocolate and went down to one beer a week...if that. What I am curious about is Esophagus cancer. I still look real thin in my face and along my ribcage. I need to get further testing I guess. Is ice cream good to put on pounds?

Old 06-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #18
    Ngfan4lyfe
    (male)

Ngfan4lyfe HB User

I always eat ice cream, it doesn't work... I joined a body builder forum in hopes of getting some good advice.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:47 AM   #19
    Dexter77
    (male)

Dexter77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ngfan4lyfe
    I always eat ice cream, it doesn't work... I joined a body builder forum in hopes of getting some good advice.
    They will tell you that you should increase your calorie intake by, for instance, consuming beef instead of chicken, or gradually increasing the amount of food you eat, and if you have 6-8 meals a day, you will eat much more. I don't think it's a rocket science. Hard training and proper nutrition are key.

Also you may be adviced to take certain drugs which can support muscle development. If I were you, I wouldn't risk my health because of quick muscle gains. You can do it slower but in a healthy way.

Last edited by Dexter77; 06-23-2005 at 01:49 AM.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:07 AM   #20
    WOlfman67
    (male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Thanks Dex.
    During this new job,I would always eat the wrong foods or not at all and I think the GERD caused me to lose weight and my stomach constricted. I dunno. Sounds crazy. I have real bad allergies to and everytime I took an acid reducer, I was having symptoms from that too. It had to be one of the strangest times of my life. Looking back it seems so surreal now. Well, I will soon be laid off from my job, so maybe this will give me an opportunity to put this weight back on and keep working out. lol...although, I don't wanna be without a job for too long either. The jobs in Pennsylvania are slim. I want to go back to school for something, just need to figure out...what. It seems that the only jobs that are in demand are in the health care field. Know any good message boards with "jobs" as a main topic??? I have been checking out that Craiglist and that seems pretty cool.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #21
    Ngfan4lyfe
    (male)

Ngfan4lyfe HB User

I'll figure it out, by eating more or trying to eat more. I just want to gain 10-15 pounds and work out to put on some muscle. I don't care for drugs.

Closed Thread