HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   NEED to gain weight. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/296235-need-gain-weight.html)

Ngfan4lyfe 06-19-2005 08:18 PM

NEED to gain weight.

I feel like I'm too skinny, I really need to gain 10-15 pounds. I have no eating disorders, it's just that I grew really fast and have always had a high metabolism. I'm like 6 feet tall and weigh a 130 pounds. It's really not good, but I keep trying to gain weight and it's not working. Any tips. I'd love to turn it into muscle and just have a little more meat on me.

Rohit77 06-19-2005 08:28 PM

Re: NEED to gain weight.

I dont have an answer for you as i'm in the same boat. But your not the only one :) I'm 5'10, male and only weigh 115pounds. I gotta admit that its so annoying having to hear comments about being so thin. So much so, that i get self-conscious about wearing shorts and t-shirts... urgh eh?

Dexter77 06-20-2005 04:12 AM

A proper diet and exercising will help you.

I don't know how old you are, what you eat on an average day, or if you do any sport, but eating more, and more quality foods (lean protein, non-sugar carbs, healthy fats) and some weight training can help you gain weight, i.e. muscle.

girlygirl11 06-20-2005 06:04 AM

I semi agree with Dexter.. why don't you post what you ate like today or yesterday for example, and write how much exercise (or even activity..like grocery shopping etc) you got. That will help us to have an idea of where your diet and exercise can be improved, if needed.

Lenin 06-20-2005 06:33 AM

Ngfan and Rohit,

I agree with you that the BEST way to gain is by adding mostly muscle. There is only ONE (legal) way to add muscle and that's hard work.
Adding calories to your diet will gain numbers on the scale but it will be a soft ugly fat gain that you will not like for very long.

It's slow going but the best way to start is to join a gym and walk to the Equipment Room...TODAY!

SammyT 06-20-2005 06:34 AM

eat peanut butter ;)
Nuts
dried fruit
lots of milk
whole wheat breads (try to get high cals types..with like 12 grain or something)
Bagels
Brown rice, pasta
Veggies/fruit
Lean meats, chicken, fish
yogurt (not the low fat kind)

did i mention peanut butter?? Mmmm...o and make shure to treat urself to candy and treats every once in a while!!:)

Ngfan4lyfe 06-20-2005 04:15 PM

I eat all of those things, it's like I can't gain weight. I'm under 18, not too much, but over 15. Since you can't give the exact age. This place is way too strict with things. Anyway, today I eat for lunch a piece of cake, and two tuna fish sandwhiches.

2 pieces of chicken, some french fries and brocoli for dinner.

I just don't know what to do anymore. If I exercise I lift weights with my arms and do 300 sit ups a day. I stopped running on the treadmill, because I felt it was making me loose more weight.

SammyT 06-20-2005 04:48 PM

yah, cardio burns fat...well maybe do what bodybuilders do...they go into a bulk up stage...when they do no cardio, strength training and eat a sh** load of food. lol

Ngfan4lyfe 06-20-2005 07:51 PM

What should I eat though... Ahh :( bulking up sounds good. I wanna gain like 10-15 pounds. haha

SammyT 06-20-2005 08:07 PM

o a lot of food. increase ur calorie intake by 500 daily unti u notice weight gains.im no expert, but it u look up "body building" on google, ull find soemthing...trust me. find somethin with Lee Hayward...he knows his sh**.

Jess75 06-20-2005 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=SammyT]o a lot of food. increase ur calorie intake by 500 daily unti u notice weight gains.im no expert, but it u look up "body building" on google, ull find soemthing...trust me. find somethin with Lee Hayward...he knows his sh**.[/QUOTE]
LOL, too funny. ;)

Ngfan4lyfe 06-20-2005 10:07 PM

okay thanks.. Loving the help. I'm just looking to gain like 10-15 pounds. :) I highly doubt it's possible, but I can hope, can't I?

Dexter77 06-20-2005 11:50 PM

Why would 10-15 pounds be impossible? I gained more than 30 lbs in less than a year when I started training and eating properly. It's a hard work, and you need to be motivated.

SammyT 06-21-2005 06:29 AM

yah its possible, dont u worry!:)

Jess75 06-21-2005 07:29 AM

SOmetimes people are "hyperthyroid" which means their metabolism is so fast that they burn off almost everything that they eat.(lucky fellas)hehe
No, it may be a rough ride for them though.