It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Am I too thin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #16
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
    Re: Am I too thin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magnolia29
    I just turned 18
    What do you think about not having your period? You don't want to be "infertile" do you? You said that you thought it was because your body needed to "adjust" to the new weight....well it very well could be but in all likelyhood, I think it's your body telling you something. Your period will probably return when you gain weight. How long have you been at this weight??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #17
    Magnolia29
    (female)

Magnolia29 HB User

I have been at this weight for three months.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #18
    Magnolia29
    (female)

Magnolia29 HB User

Jess, I do eat 1800-2000 calories a day though. I eat very healthy, what I eat is good for me though, I dont understand how this can be unhealthy, I know not having a period for 6 months isnt good, but I feel great mentally and physically, and before I was so insecure, if anything I think I am better than I was before. I'm afraid If I get to 120, I'll start to feel insecure again, idk.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #19
    zusanna
    (female)

zusanna HB User

I too feel good at my weight but I'm not having periods either. My doctor told me I needed to gain some more weight to get it back. So I'm going to. I just want to be healthy and not focus so much on being "thin". Don't get me wrong I still want to look good but I want to be healthy too which right now I'm not. If you're not having periods then your body is telling you something is wrong...meaning you ARE too thin. My doctor told me body fat actually plays a big role in regulating your periods and if you don't have enough of it then your periods will stop. So my advice would be to try and gain a little more weight because not having your period for an extended amount of time is really unhealthy.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #20
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Jess, I do eat 1800-2000 calories a day though. I eat very healthy, what I eat is good for me though, I dont understand how this can be unhealthy, I know not having a period for 6 months isnt good, but I feel great mentally and physically, and before I was so insecure, if anything I think I am better than I was before. I'm afraid If I get to 120, I'll start to feel insecure again, idk.
    Do you REALLY eat that much for you weight? Maybe you should get yourself checked for hyperthyroid or something. I don't know if losing your period is related to your thyroid but it's worth a thought? Maybe a try?

Last edited by Jess75; 06-28-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:46 AM   #21
    Magnolia29
    (female)

Magnolia29 HB User

Yeah, Jess, I really do eat 1800-2000 a day, I have been going over 2000 calories the past few days. I looked up effects of missed periods, and it said stress and weight loss could contribute, obviously it might be due to the weight loss, but I have been really stressed lately also, because my father died a month ago. I actually had a doctor appointment for a checkup back in May, but had to cancel it because I lost my father unexpectedly, I think I rescheduled it for sometime in late july, so I will talk to him about it then, if I don't get it by then. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:23 AM   #22
    amaranthine

amaranthine HB User

Magnolia,
    I calculated your BMI with an online tool. You are at 18.9, which is very close to being underweight (<18.5 is underweight). Stress may be the cause of your lack of periods. (My dad died suddenly and I didn't have a period for months, either). I would definitely recommend NOT losing any more weight though.

Last edited by amaranthine; 06-29-2005 at 07:36 AM.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:15 AM   #23
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Yeah, Jess, I really do eat 1800-2000 a day, I have been going over 2000 calories the past few days. I looked up effects of missed periods, and it said stress and weight loss could contribute, obviously it might be due to the weight loss, but I have been really stressed lately also, because my father died a month ago. I actually had a doctor appointment for a checkup back in May, but had to cancel it because I lost my father unexpectedly, I think I rescheduled it for sometime in late july, so I will talk to him about it then, if I don't get it by then. Thanks for your help.
    Sorry to hear about your father, the same thing happened to me unexpectedly and I was REALLY depressed and stressed.(didin't lose my period, but weight) So, take care of yourself, keep eating, and perhaps see a doctor.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #24
    Magnolia29
    (female)

Magnolia29 HB User

I actually just told my mom about my missed periods, and she called my doctor up, who said it would be best for me to see a gynecologist, so my mom is making me an appt for one as soon as possible.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #25
    jade112
    (female)

jade112 HB User

Good Job telling your mom and good luck with the doctor, I think that is the best option for you.
    Also I am very sorry to hear about your father (Jess and amaranthine as well, so so tragic.)
    I too lost my father to a car accident & I can understand how hard it can be.

God bless
    -Jade

Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 PM   #26
    fawn512
    (female)

fawn512 HB User

Magnolia29 keep us posted on your ob-gyne visit...

Old 06-30-2005, 10:22 PM   #27
    JustErin
    (female)

JustErin HB User

hi everyone, i'm new here and i just had to throw my 2 cents in. if you are eating 1800-2000 calories a day and you're very active, you may not be eating enough. what exactly are you eating? protein vs carbs? i know this all sounds redundant, but i'm 5'4" 120 lbs and i can eat as many as 3200 cal/day to maintain. i always get raised eyebrows when i tell people how much i eat...don't get me wrong, i definetly don't eat 3200 cal from fat and junk food. i hope this helps.....or i can help!

Old 07-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #28
    Magnolia29
    (female)

Magnolia29 HB User

I eat a balance of protein fats and carbs

I went to the ob/gyn yesterday and they took bloodwork to see why i havent gotten my period

I will try to gain a little weight, maybe to 118, possibly to 120, but I am afraid if I do, people will be like... oh she's gained blah blah

Old 07-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #29
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I eat a balance of protein fats and carbs

I went to the ob/gyn yesterday and they took bloodwork to see why i havent gotten my period

I will try to gain a little weight, maybe to 118, possibly to 120, but I am afraid if I do, people will be like... oh she's gained blah blah
    Oh my goodness,lol, at your height, you will look healthy and FEEL(because i see you eat healthy, but not enough) healthy at that weight. AND, having your period is a good indicator of knowing your on the right track. Believe me, why do you want to look SO thin? Well I think the media portrays a very negative message about it, but it's not healthy and it's not REAL. I know what it's like to get caught up in that hype, although I never would go under 123 pounds which is still not underweight(I'm 5f6.5) but that's just me. Well, I did when I was younger but as soon as my friends were telling me that I look to thin, I gained my weight right back, it scared me! Fat is an essential part of what your body needs, for your organs, skin, brain, etc. FAT is NOT the enemy unless your overweight but that's not our problem here. Being 5ft5 and 118-120 pounds would be a perfect idea, good luck.

Last edited by Jess75; 07-01-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #30
    Magnolia29
    (female)

Magnolia29 HB User

Thanks Jess!
    I have started to eat more, and not count calories, and I have been feeling marvelous the past few days! I never thought I would say this, but I have never been so excited to see my love handles start to come back, or my thighs, hoping they get fuller because they dont even touch now! 118-120 is my goal, and I will start doing more strength training soon.

Closed Thread