It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Ensure or things like it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2001, 08:57 PM   #1
    cutenbrat
    Inactive

cutenbrat HB User
    Question Ensure or things like it

Okay maybe someone out there knows-I have problems at times with my eating(the whole nasty eating disorder thing) and am started to drink something like ensure, but a cheaper brand with the same things in it-my question is do these drinks really do what they are suppose to? Give you the vitmans and minerals you need? How many should one drink in a day? Can it give you the runs(dirhhia) Is there any danger in taking them?
    Thank you and God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2001, 01:14 PM   #2
    Starbuck

Starbuck HB User
    Talking

Hey Cutenbrat,

I just finished a Boost Plus shake myself. They're great for what they're intended for, and that's to replace a snack with something decently healthy. Always make sure the brand your drinking has at least 12-15gm of protein in it. Slim Fast sucks.
    Go for:
    Boost High Protein
    Boost Plus
    Advantedge

If you want to replace a meal with one, then you should hit your local nutrition store and pick up any meal replacement such as Myoplex, Lean Body, Nutrimet, Met-Rx, etc. etc. These are great if you mix them right. My friend owns a Smoothie Factory here in Dallas. He blends them with Rice Milk, Turbinado (raw sugar), crushed ice, two fruits, and some purified water. They rock!

Most people that buy them put water in them and blend, and they end up tasting like Chocolate Sand.

Take care

Old 03-03-2001, 10:33 PM   #3
    cutenbrat
    Inactive

cutenbrat HB User
    Here it goes Starbuck and anyone else out there that can help. The can is 8fl oz. It has
    Calories-250
    Fat-50
    Total fat 6g 9%
    Total Carb. 40g 13%
    Cholest <5mg <2%
    Sugars 18g
    Sodium 200mg
    Protein 9g
    Pottassium 410mg 12%
    Vitamin A 25% ; Vit. C 50%; Calcium 30%; Iron 25% Vit. D 25%; Vit. E 25%; Vit. K 25%; Thiaman 25%; Riboflavin 25%; Niacin 25%; Vit. B6 25%; Folate 25%; Vit. B12 25%; Biotin 25%; Pantothenic Acid 25%; Phosphorus 30%; Iodine 25%; Magnesium 25%; Zinc 25%; Selenium 25%; Copper 25%; Manganese 60% Chromium 25%; Molybdenum 50% Chloride 10%;

Please tell me if this is good or not.
    God Bless.

Old 03-05-2001, 01:57 PM   #4
    Starbuck

Starbuck HB User
    Exclamation

Absolutely Not!

Unless you are working out hard, or do a lot of cardio exercise, then this product will help you put on body fat.

The Carbohydrate/Protein ratio is too high in carbs. Pick up some Boost High Protein shakes from the grocery store. Or some EAS Myoplex pre-made shakes from the nutrition stores. If you're going to spend the money, you might as well spend it on something decent.

Take care.

El Capitan Starbuck

Old 03-05-2001, 06:44 PM   #5
    cutenbrat
    Inactive

cutenbrat HB User
    I fight with an eating disorder and am trying to find things to supplement you could say instead of food all the time; will boost still be the best? I dont' want the body fat, but I need something for nutertion while not eating healthy.
    God Bless.

Old 03-05-2001, 08:48 PM   #6
    Starbuck

Starbuck HB User
    There are many low-carb meal replacement shakes. EAS has a whole new line of them. Lean Body for women by Labrada, etc. These are found at nutrition stores. They supply many vitamins and minerals, as well as plenty of protein.

You could always buy a container of decent whey protein, (strawberry) and make your own protein shakes with fruit, milk, etc.

That's what I do. You can have more variety.

Old 03-07-2001, 01:45 PM   #7
    cutenbrat
    Inactive

cutenbrat HB User
    Thank you hon-I appreciate you taking the time to help me out It means a lot to me.
    God Bless.

Old 03-14-2001, 11:38 AM   #8
    GUY22222

GUY22222 HB User
    i think you should stay away from all these so called "nutrition shakes" that are sold in supermarkets and stuff,most ,if not all of them are nothing but sugar filled and have an array of carbs.carbs are high,protein is low and low in value.if you are going to use a shake then choose meal replacements like myoplex lite,or lean body low carb,.stay away from those shakes like nutriment,ensure and whatnot.they might actually be making you fat.sure they have vitamins and minerals ,but mostly all food does,and taking in the wrong foods,then wats the point in taking vitamins if they are loeaded with sugar and empty calories.use a quality shake like the ones i mentioned that have the vitamins and minerals without those empty calories.thats wat marketers do,the say"essential vitamins and minerals included" wat they dont say is"filled with empty calories and sugar and very low protein",i think u should leave these alone

Old 05-25-2001, 01:10 AM   #9
    annabo

annabo HB User
    I hate to sound like i know more about this then everyone else, but heres my story! 2 years ago i was involved in an accident and had to get my jaw wired shut. It was shut for 7 1/2 weeks, allowing mothing but thin liquids to pass into my mouth. The doctors assured me that if i only drank these ensure can's and boost, and all the rest, that i would drastically lose weight. the first week of this little obstacle of mine i lost almost 8 lbs. knowing how drastic this was i was told to make my own lil calorie and protien soups (that of course i had to blend) but i still continued to deprive myself of valuable nutrients. along with a high caloric diet and added liquid vitamin's i started to stabalize my weight. but eating,(actually drinking) only ensure, it just was not enough. i hope that this lil problem with eating you have is something you can overcome, i wish you luck and lifelong health!

Closed Thread