It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Fasting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #16
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User
    Re: Fasting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael01
    After the 7 day fast my skin and completion looked better than it had ever looked. A very well known Doctor on TV mentioned that the cheapest and best way to have that radiant healthy looking completion is drinking lots and lots of water. I was drinking a gallon a day. I was quickly removing the poisons and toxins by taking many showers daily. Good luck with your internal cleanse. The only way I was able to go on the 7 day fast was at a Health Spa where I was fasting with many others. We supported one another. I could never do it at home. I also got through it with lots and lots of sleeping and naps. One last note: I once remember reading a story of a small plane crash somewhere in South America on a mountain. All the survivors had was water but no food. They were rescued weeks later and everyone of them were in far better health than prior to the crash. They drank lots of water and nothing else. Interesting.
    But during the fast did your skin break out?

I drink tons and tons of water (i heard distilled is the best to clear your skin) but I still break-out

I would love to go to a health spa!! That would probably be the only way I could do the fast also.

that is interesting about the survivors of the plain crash. I really wish I had the will power to do a real fast, but sadly I don't think that will ever happen.

Thanks for the reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #17
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

NO to your question. Skin was fine throughout the fast.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #18
    cka2525
    (female)

cka2525 HB User

I went on a fast for about 5 days. I ate only 400 calories a day and drank tons of water. Its great for you too. I ended up looseing 4-5 lbs and didnt put them back on!!!

Old 08-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #19
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

You ate only 400 calories a day? A fast means no eating. You were not on a fast.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:56 AM   #20
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Again I repeat, let your BODY take care of your needs during fasting. If you eat ANYTHING except water, you will fight the mechanism that MILLIONS of years of evolution has given man to survive the lack of food.
    To get the experience of fasting, really one must eat NO food.

I am afirm believer that the body deals with lots of toxins and poison by encapsulating then, burying them if you will, in it's depot fat. When you are on a NO FOOD fast, the body will use fat as it's primary fuel and get and and dump many of these stored wastes.

If only I weren't so frightened of resettting my MAINTENANCE CALORIES to some very low level, and those devilish headaches, I'd like to try a 10 or 14 day fast. Maybe someday: my weight is pretty good now and my metabolism somewhere around 2200-2500 calories.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-16-2005 at 05:57 AM.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #21
    taylor56
    (female)

taylor56 HB User

how much weight did you lose on a 3 day fast?

Old 08-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #22
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Taylor 56: Are you a male or a female? Do you weight 125 pounds or 300 pounds? What is your age? Fasting is not about losing weight but about improving one's health. I suggest you not do fast if your goal is weight loss. Yes, fasting will bring weight reduction but it's mostly water. You will quickly regain this weight.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #23
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

Alright... so I've scheduled to do a fast before school starts. I have an alternative medicine book and they have some wonderful tips for fasts, as well as supplements/teas you should take while fasting. If I had the book here with me, I would post them for you all... Anyway,... I have a question; during my fast I would like to take psyllium husks (which are gels that act as a sponge in the intestinal tract, which ultimately helps to remove toxins from the colon) and milk thistle (which helps to purify and support the liver)... I'm not concerned about taking the milk thistle, but I'm wondering if it'd be alright to take the psyllium husks during the fast, and if it would further enhance the fast? I'm only doing a 3 day fast, but I plan to prepare by juicing before and after... and, since some consider juice fasts credible.. it'd technically be like a 5 day fast. Should I be taking supplements at all?

Also, I'm 5'10" and 125 lbs. I have a super fast metabolism, and need to eat about every 3 hours, or else I get faint, dizzy, and my stomach won't leave me alone. I'm slightly scared how my body will react after 3 days of not eating... I'm even more scared that I might actually faint (this has never happened before, although after 3 days of not eating.. I wouldn't be surprised). Do any of you have any comments or suggestions?

I'd greatly appreciate all your feed back.. and thank you all for sharing your information and experiences so far!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #24
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by goldenseal
    Alright... so I've scheduled to do a fast before school starts. I have an alternative medicine book and they have some wonderful tips for fasts, as well as supplements/teas you should take while fasting. If I had the book here with me, I would post them for you all... Anyway,... I have a question; during my fast I would like to take psyllium husks (which are gels that act as a sponge in the intestinal tract, which ultimately helps to remove toxins from the colon) and milk thistle (which helps to purify and support the liver)... I'm not concerned about taking the milk thistle, but I'm wondering if it'd be alright to take the psyllium husks during the fast, and if it would further enhance the fast? I'm only doing a 3 day fast, but I plan to prepare by juicing before and after... and, since some consider juice fasts credible.. it'd technically be like a 5 day fast. Should I be taking supplements at all?

Also, I'm 5'10" and 125 lbs. I have a super fast metabolism, and need to eat about every 3 hours, or else I get faint, dizzy, and my stomach won't leave me alone. I'm slightly scared how my body will react after 3 days of not eating... I'm even more scared that I might actually faint (this has never happened before, although after 3 days of not eating.. I wouldn't be surprised). Do any of you have any comments or suggestions?

I'd greatly appreciate all your feed back.. and thank you all for sharing your information and experiences so far!

I'm doing my 1 day fast today (i know 1 day...not that big of a deal..lol) but I am going to take Activated Charcoal and Psyllium Husks. I'm taking these supplements to help my skin. There is a thread in the Acne Forum about these supplements and the original poster recommends a 24-hour fast with these supplements. The thread is called "Digestive System Cleanse to eliminate acne".

I don't know how to answer all of your questions but just wanted to say that I am going to be taking the psyllium husks as well

Old 08-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #25
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

well i'm doing my 1 day fast and its soooo hard. I'm HUNGRY! But I wont give in...I can't even imagine going 7 days without food.

I'm just taking supplements and drinking water (i hope im doing this right.. )

Old 08-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #26
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

Oooh do let me know how both the fast and the supplements go for you! I actually saw that acne thread... are you taking the yakult? I'm so apprehensive about the supplements because tons of people complained about constipation, nausea and abdominal pains just from taking the supps! hope things go better for you.. do keep me posted!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:01 AM   #27
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Personallly, I wouldn't take any supplements or psyllium during a short fast (a week or less)...you won't die of vitamin deficiency in that time. For a longer fast, I think a multivitamin is a good idea.
    Main problem with a one or two day fast is that it's not enough time for HUNGER to abate...it's gone by the third day. So anyone who does lots of one day fasts had better be prepared to think about FOOD 24/7.
    Psyllium probably contains some absorbable nutrients and thus I would avoid it for a 3 day fast although for longer fasts it might help clean the intestines. Maybe a better idea would be to use psyllium before and after because at the point where hunger stops, the entire digestive system pretty much shuts down and a glob of psyllium just sitting there might be more of a problem than an asset

Last edited by Lenin; 08-18-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:25 AM   #28
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

well I did my 1 day fast and it was terrible...

The day went fine but at night I kept waking up because I was very hungry and I didnt feel that great.

I woke up at 7:30 because I felt sick from not eating anything so I ate an apple and drank water. About 1 hour and 1/2 later I woke up again feeling so sick. I just threw up the apple I had eaten and now I feel horrible.

Maybe I shouldnt have taken those supplements? I just don't know why I am sick? I didn't have a bowel movement yet.

I don't know if I should eat anything or what I should eat.

Someone please give me some advice to why this happened and if I should eat and what to eat...

Thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 AM   #29
    ratboy83
    Inactive
    (male)

ratboy83 HB User
    Question Re: Fasting

just a quick question. someone said that most of the weight loss is water and fat. is there any loss of muscle tone/ density? i like the ides of fasting but am trying to gradually bulk myself up a bit so don't want a fast to undo loads of the good work i've put in.

alex.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #30
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

I started my first fast this morning. I'm doing a 3 day detoxification fast. 8:00a.m I drink an 8 ounces glass of prune juice
    8:30a.m I drink another 8 ounces glass of prune juice
    The rest of the day I drink as much apple juice as I want to, diluted 50/50 with distilled water, until 6:00p.m
    I have nothing from 6:00p.m to 9:00p.m
    At 9:00p.m I make the following mixture: juice of 2 oranges, juice of 1 lemon, 5-10 tablespoons olive oil, shake well and drink.
    Nothing else until 8:00a.m the next morning, then I repeat the above.

Closed Thread