It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Fasting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2005, 09:08 AM   #31
    jade112
    (female)

jade112 HB User
    Re: Fasting

I thought a fast was when you have NOTHING except room tempature water?

How is drinking all that juice still a fast?

Thx
    Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #32
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Jade: I completely agree with you. A fast is drinking nothing but room temperature water. That's what I did.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #33
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

Xismybaby... I don't have the definate answer, but my guess is your body is ridding itself of all its toxins, or atleast preparing itself to do so. Fasts are known to have certain side effects of some sort which indicate your body is pushing things out of itself, such as; headaches, pimples, smelling, and a white glaze over your tongue. Throwing up the apple could be caused by the fact that you took it at night, when the body can't really digest things as well... and your body was probably already trying to work on cleansing and replenishing itself (since that's what your body strives for during your sleep). By introducing an apple, after a day of not eating, your body may not have been ready to accept and digest it. This is just my opinion... I wouldn't depend on it Please keep us posted on your progress!

By the way people... a one day fast really does nothing but aggravate the body...

Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #34
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jade112
    I thought a fast was when you have NOTHING except room tempature water?

How is drinking all that juice still a fast?

Thx
    Jade
    Nope, there are juice fasts and water fasts.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #35
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael01
    Jade: I completely agree with you. A fast is drinking nothing but room temperature water. That's what I did.
    Do a search on the net. You will see juice fasts and water fasts.

Some people believe including water isn't fasting. They say fasting is NO food and NO liquid. Everyone has different beliefs.

I have been doing a lot of reading on fasting and have found that there are different kinds of fasts. It all depends on the person and why they are doing the fast.

Some religious people will say they are fasting, when they are only taking meat or fish out of their diet.

Last edited by SushiGirl; 08-19-2005 at 08:07 AM.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #36
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by goldenseal
    Xismybaby... I don't have the definate answer, but my guess is your body is ridding itself of all its toxins, or atleast preparing itself to do so. Fasts are known to have certain side effects of some sort which indicate your body is pushing things out of itself, such as; headaches, pimples, smelling, and a white glaze over your tongue. Throwing up the apple could be caused by the fact that you took it at night, when the body can't really digest things as well... and your body was probably already trying to work on cleansing and replenishing itself (since that's what your body strives for during your sleep). By introducing an apple, after a day of not eating, your body may not have been ready to accept and digest it. This is just my opinion... I wouldn't depend on it Please keep us posted on your progress!

By the way people... a one day fast really does nothing but aggravate the body...
    Well I ate the apple in the morning because I just felt extremely sick.

I bet you're right about the one day fast not doing anything. But i just cant do a full fast (however long it may be)...If I would have gone another day without eating, I would have passed out (i also work in a vets office so that entails lifting animals, cleaning constantly and walking dogs....I would have DIED without food for energy).

Oh well, I hope other people have success with fasts but I just cant do it

I would love to cleanse my body but i just dont think i can.

Thanks for the reply

Old 08-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #37
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Unless you're being medically supervised, no matter what kind of fast you do, you shouldn't do it. It's potentially dangerous and unhealthy, and for all you dieters that hope for a quick loss, it probably slows your metabolism in the long run (even if you have juice!). Talk to your doctor before attemptiing ANY fast, for ANY length of time.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #38
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

I think I'm going have to hold off on the fasting thing until I'm older. I'm about to turn 17, and my metabolism is still really fast. Oh well..

Old 08-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #39
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlygirl11
    Unless you're being medically supervised, no matter what kind of fast you do, you shouldn't do it. It's potentially dangerous and unhealthy, and for all you dieters that hope for a quick loss, it probably slows your metabolism in the long run (even if you have juice!). Talk to your doctor before attemptiing ANY fast, for ANY length of time.

I have been doing a lot of reading about fasting. Everything I have read so far says how healthy it is and how helpful it can be to prevent certain illnesses. I've had many friends go on fasts and I've never seen any of them sick or unhealthy looking. It's been the complete opposite. One of my friends is a nutritionist and she recommends people try it at least once. My doctor has told me there is no need to be medically supervised as long as the person doesn't take the fasting overboard.

I'm on my second day of my juice fast and I feel great, better then I ever have. I'm doing it for health reasons, but I have seen people lose weight on fasts and they have kept it off. But it's NOT for everyone. It can be dangerous if someone is doing it ONLY for weightloss and goes to far with it.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #40
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

Thats great SushiGirl!!!

Let me know if it effects your skin in anyway (either good or bad)...Maybe i could handle a juice fast, just not a fast drinking only water.

Good luck with the fast

Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 AM   #41
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xismybaby
    Thats great SushiGirl!!!

Let me know if it effects your skin in anyway (either good or bad)...Maybe i could handle a juice fast, just not a fast drinking only water.

Good luck with the fast
    The only thing I've noticed so far is that my tongue turned white. Well actually my boyfriend noticed it when I stuck my tongue out at him.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #42
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Just wanted to but in here and say that I think doing a fast would be a great idea, but unfortunately, I don't have the "willpower" to do it.
    When I don't eat for periods of time, I feel real weak and dizzy. I think it would have to be a time where i'm not doing ANYTHING, like no kids, no work, just meditating and fasting or something, lol.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #43
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

Hey, I have a wonderful health book with over 600 pages of everything you need to know to live a healthy lifestyle. Well, there's a section on fasting, so I though I'd post a few things they recommend:

"Prodedure: To prepare for the fast, eat onlyh raw vegetables and fruites for two days. This will make the fast less of a shock to the system.
    While on the fast, consume atleast eight 8-ounce glasses of steam-distilled water a day, plus pure juices and up to 2 cups of herbal tea a day. Dilute all juices with the water, adding about 1 part water to 3 parts juice. Do not drink orange or tomato juice, and avoid all juices made with sweetners or additives. The best juice to use during your fast is fresh lemon juice. Add the juice of one lemon to a cup of warm w3ater.
    Follow the juice-water-and-tea fast with a two-day diet of raw fruits and vegetables. The desired effects of the fast can be ruined by eating cooked foods immediately afterward. Because both the size of the stomach and the amount of secreted digestive juices may decrease during fasting, the first meals after a fast should be frequent and small. Wait 2 or 3 days before returning to your regular diet; slowly introducing cooked foods into your diet day by day.
    Use slippery elm tea for inflammation of the colon.
    Use peppermint tea for its calmin and strengthening effect on the nerves, and for indigestion, nausea, and flatulance.
    Take 2 capsules of garlic twice a day. If you prefer a liquid supplement, add the garlic oil to a cup of water. Garlic supplements may be taken on a dailly basis before, during and after a fast to promote overall health, aid in the healing process, and rid the colon of many types of parasites.
    Take a fiber supplement on a dailyl basis before and after your fast, but not during the fast.
    Do not chew gum while on the fast. The digestive process starts when chewing prompts the body to secrete enzymes into the gastrointestinal tract. If there is no food in the somtach for the enzymes to digest, touble occurs.
    During a fast, as toxins are released from your body, you may experience fatigue, body odor; dry, scaly skin; skin eruptions; nausea; coughing; diarrhea; dark urine; dark, foul smelling stools; body aches; insomnie; sinus and bronchial mucus discharge; and /or visual or hearing problems. These symptoms are NOT serious, and will quickly pass.
    During a fast, as toxins are releashed from your body, you will probably experience a coated tongue and an unpleasant taste in your mou8th, To relieve this problem, try rinsing your mouth w/ fresh lemon juice."

Well, they also mentioned that you should continue to exercise, but only moderately. Naps are also recommended, and PLENTY OF SLEEP [and water].
    I hope that may have helped some...

Old 08-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #44
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Alex,

It is inevitable that there will be some lean body-mass loss during fasting because that is the only practical source of glucose after the glycogen is gone in 2 or 3 days and glucose is brain's food...it will get it.
    Fat can be squeezed to yield only 10% of it's calories as glucose but protein yields 40% glucose.
    Fasting is probably not a good idea for bodybuilders.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-21-2005 at 04:39 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #45
    SammyT
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SammyT HB User

i dont beleive in fasting...i think its just wrong

Closed Thread