It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Fasting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #61
    mellowfish
    Veteran
    (female)

mellowfish HB User
    Re: Fasting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SushiGirl
    I started my first fast this morning. I'm doing a 3 day detoxification fast. 8:00a.m I drink an 8 ounces glass of prune juice
    8:30a.m I drink another 8 ounces glass of prune juice
    The rest of the day I drink as much apple juice as I want to, diluted 50/50 with distilled water, until 6:00p.m
    I have nothing from 6:00p.m to 9:00p.m
    At 9:00p.m I make the following mixture: juice of 2 oranges, juice of 1 lemon, 5-10 tablespoons olive oil, shake well and drink.
    Nothing else until 8:00a.m the next morning, then I repeat the above.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jade112
    I thought a fast was when you have NOTHING except room tempature water?

How is drinking all that juice still a fast?

Thx
    Jade
    If I may add my $0.02 while this thread is still going: There are MANY ways to fast. The above is somewhat of a "fast" that specifically targets the dumping of liver toxins. It is still a bit of a mystery how it works, but prune juice does a pretty good job clearing the bowels. The juice/oil mixture taken before bed stimulates the gallbladder/liver to dump all their bile, and the malic acid (found naturally in apples) serves the purpose to break down any potential gallstones before they may be ejected or get stuck in the bile duct, causing discomfort.

Ideally, a liver cleanse would be preceded by a medium length fast, this would leave the bowels most efficient for evacuating the waste created by the liver cleanse. Apple (fresh extracted juice/organic cider vineger) should be followed for a few days to be effective.

There are many, many ways to fast, and for a fast to be effective, it is necessary to understand why you are fasting and what is going on in your body during and after. For as many ways that exist to have a successful fast there are just as many "wrong" ways to do it. You must know the desired effect you are trying to create in your body and fast accordingly. Do the wrong kind of fast, and it is probable that you will feel worse than before, and may never want to try again.

The biggest mistake people make when they first start out is by trying to do too much, or not preparing their body before hand. If you regularly eat meat you may want to try to eat only raw fruits and vegetables fow a few days. Juice fasting is highly recommended if you are fasting on your own for the first time, and it is perfectly acceptable to have a very short first few fasts.

FASTING IS NOT A PANACEA for all ills, but can be used to greatly enhance an already healthy lifestyle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #62
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

girlygirl11... that was before i realized my body might let me do a juice fast I think a juice fast would be alright... and a little less shocking to my food craving body. Ofcourse... I'm not sure yet, I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before I make my decision.

What do I consider success? Anything positive that has come out of the fast, whether internal or external... or possibly mental. I'm sure there are many positive results after a 7 day fast, I'm wondering if there may be any noticible results after a 3 or 5 day fast?

Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #63
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

What kind of results do you expect to see lol.. most people don't go into a fast hoping for something-anything- to happen. You need to have a goal and then try to reach it through various methods. A juice fast may be better for a starter, but that doesn't mean you still shouldn't see a doctor or some sort of professional about it (especially since you're very unsure as to what to do/expect and what you really want out of it).

Old 08-26-2005, 08:51 AM   #64
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

Thanks girlygirl11... I don't really believe in doctors, and I don't have one I believe in homeopathic doctors, who I'm sure would know more about a fast than the average doctor, but nevertheless... I don't have a homeopathic doctor anyway. Oh well

Old 08-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #65
    no_storybook
    (female)

no_storybook HB User

I too am interested in doing a fast but i am anemic and i have read that if you are then you should not attempt a fast. i know that right now is a very bad time for me (just started school and new job eck!) but i would appriciate some input on how to go about doing one in the future. i get very dizzy and cranky when i don't eat but i feel like i have candida and fasting seems like a good way to get rid of it. err. so confusing. also i have to take heart medication every day. how does that effect a fast?
    thanks again!

Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 PM   #66
    mellowfish
    Veteran
    (female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by no_storybook
    I too am interested in doing a fast but i am anemic and i have read that if you are then you should not attempt a fast. i know that right now is a very bad time for me (just started school and new job eck!) but i would appriciate some input on how to go about doing one in the future. i get very dizzy and cranky when i don't eat but i feel like i have candida and fasting seems like a good way to get rid of it. err. so confusing. also i have to take heart medication every day. how does that effect a fast?
    thanks again!
    Any person who takes any kind of med should NEVER fast unless under the strict supervision of a doctor who has experience with fasting. Fasting temporarily alters the metabolism (among other things) and can greatly affect the amount of medicine that is in the bloodstream.

The effects of a fast can also change the need for med dosage -this is one way fasting can used under the direct supervision of a medical practioner as a way to enhance the body's response to a disease process.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 AM   #67
    no_storybook
    (female)

no_storybook HB User

thank you so much. i appriciate it.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #68
    .Dot
    (female)

.Dot HB User

no_storybook, perhaps you could try a colon cleanse instead? That way, you don't have to worry about fasting.. which could interfere w/ your meds and such.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #69
    sinnister81
    Inactive
    (male)

sinnister81 HB User

K everyone, I have ocd depression and anxiety, I have tried everything and have been reading studies about how fasting can seriously benefit health and its something I have yet to try. Also in the bble it said "certain demons can only be overcome thru prayer and fasting. Im willing to give it a try and am gonna do frozen fruit for 2 days to prepare my body along with lots of water with lemon juice. I have been using loads of prescription drugs within the last couple of years and as of now am taking 5htp and ltyrosine and st johns wort as an amino acid appraoch to repleting neurotransmitters. I read a post above where somene wrote about fasting sending them out of whack. I am hoping anyone with any suggestions can help. As far as supervision, my mother is well versed in medicine, shes a nurse working on surgetech, and also inputs medical journals for nih so shell be doing the supervising. Hope u guys can offer some tips to make it easier. And most important does anyone think its dangerous for me?

Closed Thread