It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Chances Of Getting Cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
    mary777
    (female)

mary777 HB User
    Chances Of Getting Cancer

I'm a 24 y/o female and I was just wondering if because of my bad eating habits I can still get cancer. What can I do to prevent cancer. I'm very skinny. 5 ft 3 in, weighing about 94 lbs. If I keep eating like this can I get something else rather than cancer.

Last edited by mary777; 08-10-2005 at 12:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User
    Re: Chances Of Getting Cancer

Many, many people have bad eating habits and they DON'T get cancer. My mother always eats very healthy and very rarely eats unhealthy food. She just finished treatment for breast cancer. Talk to your family members and find out if you even have cancer in your family. You're more likely to get cancer if you have someone in your family that has it or had it. Like me, I lost an Aunt to ovarian cancer and my mom had breast cancer.

I think you need to talk to your doctor about this. You really seem to worry to much about the possibility of having some illness. Worrying to much about things can cause many illnesses. Just take a step back and relax.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Actually, you can get cancer if you are underweight because, mainly, of your body's inability to function properly. If you are not getting your period, the lack of estrogen in your body, leading to the lack of buildup/shedding of the uterine lining (meaning you need to gain weight pronto) could cause osteoporosis, endometriosis and ovarian cancer (as well as other things). In addition, if you are severely underweight (such as yourself), there are other problems that could cause, if not a form of cancer, but other very serious diseases.

Why are you so underweight? Have you always been like this or is this a recent thing? You should talk to your doctor immediately and begin a diet/exercise program to start gaining weight slowly and healthfully, in order to live a long, healthy life and prevent any possible cancers or other diseases that could afflict you.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlygirl11
    Actually, you can get cancer if you are underweight because, mainly, of your body's inability to function properly. If you are not getting your period, the lack of estrogen in your body, leading to the lack of buildup/shedding of the uterine lining (meaning you need to gain weight pronto) could cause osteoporosis, endometriosis and ovarian cancer (as well as other things). In addition, if you are severely underweight (such as yourself), there are other problems that could cause, if not a form of cancer, but other very serious diseases.
    You can also get cancer if you are normal weight or overweight. My mom is normal weight and got breast cancer.

If you're thin and your weight has fallen below your usual adult weight, it could indicate a problem.

Unintentional weight loss could be caused by:

Diseases: Many health problems impair how your body absorbs food and uses calories. Among the most common are cancer, inflammatory bowel disease and celiac disease. (does not mean ALL thin people will end up with cancer or any type of disease, could be any number of the following)

Medications: Drugs, including some antidepressants, blood pressure and osteoporosis medications, can cause decreased appetite. Aspirin and other nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory drugs can cause gastrointestinal side effects.

Psychological and social factors: Depression and anxiety can cause weight loss. Lack of transportation, limited finances or physical impairments can make it difficult to buy food and prepare it.

Mary777, how have you been feeling lately? There are many foods you can eat that will help prevent cancer. One I know of off the top of my head is red apples, redder the better. Something in the red skin is what helps. I saw this on a show about cancer after I found out my mother had breast cancer. I'm going to do a search to see what other foods work. I'll let you know what I find. Try not to worry so much and seriously talk to your doctor about how you are feeling.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

Here's what I found. Hope this helps you.

Cancer Fighting Foods

The National Cancer Institute estimates that roughly one-third of all cancer deaths may be diet related. What you eat can hurt you, but it can also help you. Many of the common foods found in grocery stores or organic markets contain cancer-fighting properties, from the antioxidants that neutralize the damage caused by free radicals to the powerful phytochemicals that scientists are just beginning to explore. There isn't a single element in a particular food that does all the work: The best thing to do is eat a variety of foods.

The following foods have the ability to help stave off cancer and some can even help inhibit cancer cell growth or reduce tumor size.

Avocados, Carrots, Chili peppers, and jalapenos
    Cruciferous vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage

Flax contains lignans, which may have an antioxidant effect and block or suppress cancerous changes. Flax is also high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are thought to protect against colon cancer and heart disease.

Garlic has immune-enhancing allium compounds (dialyl sultides) that appear to increase the activity of immune cells that fight cancer and indirectly help break down cancer causing substances.

Grapefruits, like oranges and other citrus fruits, contain monoterpenes, believed to help prevent cancer by sweeping carcinogens out of the body.

Grapes, red contain bioflavonoids, powerful antioxidants that work as cancer preventives.

Kale has indoles, nitrogen compounds which may help stop the conversion of certain lesions to cancerous cells in estrogen-sensitive tissues. In addition, isothiocyanates, phytochemicals found in kale, are thought to suppress tumor growth and block cancer-causing substances from reaching their targets.

Mushrooms - There are a number of mushrooms that appear to help the body fight cancer and build the immune system - Shiitake, maitake, reishi, Agaricus blazei Murill, and Coriolus Versicolor.

Oranges and lemons contain Iimonene which stimulates cancer-killing immune cells (lymphocytes, e.g.) that may also break down cancer-causing substances.

Papayas have vitamin C that works as an antioxidant and may also reduce absorption of cancer-causing nitrosamines from the soil or processed foods. Papaya contains folacin (also known as folic acid), which has been shown to minimize cervical dysplasia and certain cancers.

Raspberries contain many vitamins, minerals, plant compounds and antioxidants known as anthocyanins that may protect against cancer. Research reported in the journal Nutrition and Cancer in May 2002 shows black raspberries may also thwart colon cancer. Black raspberries are rich in antioxidants, thought to have even more cancer-preventing properties than blueberries and strawberries.

Sweet potatoes contain many anticancer properties, including beta-carotene, which may protect DNA in the cell nucleus from cancer-causing chemicals outside the nuclear membrane.

Tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant that attacks roaming oxygen molecules, known as free radicals, that are suspected of triggering cancer. They also have vitamin C, an antioxidant which can prevent cellular damage that leads to cancer. An increased intake of lycopene has already been linked to a reduced risk of breast, prostate, pancreas and colorectal cancer.

Consumption of fruits and vegetables has been associated with decreased risk of cancers of the colon and rectum.

If you have any questions about this you really should talk to your doctor. I know there are books available on the foods that fight cancer. You should be able to find some in your local library or book stores. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Best ways to eliminate cancer are to STOP MINING, stop smoking and to change PARENTS!

Little else works!

Old 08-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
    SushiGirl
    (female)

SushiGirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Best ways to eliminate cancer are to STOP MINING, stop smoking and to change PARENTS!

Little else works!
    um NO

Closed Thread