It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Rice or Noodles?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
    Peacehealth

Peacehealth HB User
    Post Rice or Noodles?

Is it better to eat white rice or noodles?Which is more mucus causing? which is easier to digest?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2002, 04:29 AM   #2
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
    There isn't much difference in the digestive process when eating rice or noodles. They are both easy on the digestive system.

Mucous production is a normal biological process. It's not usually related to any single food. If you have EXCESS mucous production in your bowel movement along with other bowel problems you should see a doctor.

Old 05-20-2002, 07:02 AM   #3
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Are the noodles your standard egg noodles made out of wheat flour? Then I would go with the rice.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:53 AM   #4
    Peacehealth

Peacehealth HB User
    What is the differences? I mean those noodles that are yellow in colour.There are also those in whilte colour.
    So u mean white rice is better than these noodles?

Old 05-20-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, All noodles have eggs, unless noted on the package or they are Asian noodles. Some Asian noodle have eggs and some don't. You really have to read the package. Pasta is another choice, which doesn't have eggs. (Still read the package to make sure.) The only reason you would worry about eggs is if you are allergic to them or you're watching your cholesterol. Pasta has a high digestion coefficient, which means that it is very easy to digest. I don't know about rice's coefficient. It really depends on why you're looking for easy to digest foods. Rice and pasta or noodles are given to people with colds with the idea that they are easier on the stomach. Rice is a big no,no for someone with a hyatal (Spelling is probably wrong.) hernia, because rice clumps. Rice is not good for birds, because they can't digest it and it explodes in their stomach. Rice is good for when you have diahrrea and helps the poop clump. Pasta is used for robins that have migrated to the north too early and are having trouble finding worms in the snow.

What does my mother-in-law do? She eats rice everyday, but it's Chinese rice. (It's sticky and mushy.) When she's sick, she eats ramon noodles. When she's feeling better, she makes plain rice porage and eats something salty with it.

I eat popcorn or noodles when I'm sick. The popcorn seem to absorb my stomach acid. I hate mush.

As for mucus...I was always told dairy products can cause more mucus, but now the dairy people are saying they have a study to contest that myth. Food allergies can cause mucus. Are you allergic to anything or just have a cold? I hope you find your answers.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 05-20-2002, 10:51 AM   #6
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    It is just that I read more about people having problems with wheat than rice, and personally I notice I feel worse after eating wheat-based products.

But also I avoid refined carbohydrates as much as possible.

Old 05-20-2002, 12:48 PM   #7
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Unhappy

Hello, Then you might have an allergy to wheat. If I remember correctly, rice cereal was the first solid food I was told to start my son with when he was a baby. If you're allergic to wheat then you might not be able to have bread either. You might want to get it checked out. That's sad. I can't imagine life with out my wheat products. I guess I'm lucky.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 05-26-2002, 10:54 PM   #8
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    Rice is one of the easiest foods to digest, that is why baby's first food is rice cereal. Rice is also considered a perfect food, no fat, good carbs for energy and good nutrition. Brown rice is even better but it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I eat steamed rice every day in my evening meal and I never get tired of new ways to fix it or eat it.

Old 05-28-2002, 01:47 AM   #9
    Smoochy

Smoochy HB User
    Guys... aren't you overlooking something about rice... that it is a high glycemic food? Hello.. blood sugar raise, multiple hunger attacks, anyone?
    Better eat whole grains!

Old 05-29-2002, 09:07 AM   #10
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    The original question specified WHITE, so it is not that anybody overlooked anything. And as I recall, pasta is higher on the glycemic index than rice.

Old 05-29-2002, 01:23 PM   #11
    russ60
    (male)

russ60 HB User
    Rice is easy to digest and as Nancy said brown rice is better and a staple in many countries. I don't know where pasta is a staple not even Italy.

Closed Thread