It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• I'm a 17 year old, 190 pound...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2002, 08:17 AM   #1
    Tanker
    (male)

Tanker HB User
    Post I'm a 17 year old, 190 pound...

I'm a 17 year old, 190 pound, 5'9 male in high school. I would like to lose maybe 20 pounds in maybe 7 months. I already eliminated some foods from my diet such as fast food, sweets, and snacks and have also stopped drinking fluids other than mineral/spring water and orange juice in the morning. Combined with a 15 minute cardio session 5 times a week, about how much calories should I be consuming a day to see quick results?

Thanks
    -CJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2002, 01:03 PM   #2
    Chelle1977
    Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
    At 5'9" and 190 lbs, I cannot imagine why you want to lose weight? That actually sounds pretty reasonable to me?

The first thing I would recommend is speaking with a doctor to make sure that weight loss is right for you.

Secondly, you do not want to see "quick results". Weight loss is not a race and you should never lose more than 1-2lbs/week. If you lose weight faster than that, its not fat. Instead, its water, muscle and in extremem cases, bone mass. These are all important and you do not want to sacrifice them just to weigh less on the scale.

Rather than lowering your calories, you should increase your exercise. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio 4-6 days a week and 20 minutes of weight training 2 days a week. Mix your cardio up so you aren't doing the same thing every day.

As far as calories go .. at 190 lbs you should NEVER go below 1900 calories each day. And that is low. I would recommend between 2000-2100.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:01 PM   #3
    SteveF
    (male)

SteveF HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Chelle1977:
    At 5'9" and 190 lbs, I cannot imagine why you want to lose weight? That actually sounds pretty reasonable to me?
    The ideal weight for a male of that height is 156lb. 190lb would be considered overweight.

20lb in 7 months shouldn't be too difficult though - that's less than a pound per week.

[This message has been edited by SteveF (edited 08-26-2002).]

Old 08-27-2002, 07:58 AM   #4
    Chelle1977
    Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
    I'm not familiar with the weight charts for men ...

My hubby is 6'4" and his supposedly ideal weight is 200lbs. Problem is, he'd look like a stick at that weight ....

Depending on your body composition, 190 might actually be closer to reasonable that you'd think. I mean, as a woman at 5'4", my "healthy weight range" goes up to 145 lbs! I would think that 5" and being a man would give you more leeway than 11lbs.

Go see a doctor.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:51 AM   #5
    SteveF
    (male)

SteveF HB User
    Cool

Maybe. I'm not too convinced of this ideal weight stuff myself actually. I'm 5'11" and weigh 164lb which apparently is the right weight, but I sure ain't the right shape. My belly is too big but my arms and upper body are too skinny, so i suppose my weight just needs to be distributed more evenly . I'm trying to eat healthier (less pizzas and more fruit & veg) and I joined a gym a couple of weeks ago.

There is something I'd like to know though. Would it be better to build up more muscle first by lifting weights, or should I start with lots of cardio then gain strength afterwards? I've started off with weight training because I thought that more muscle would help burn off the weight later on. Any suggestions anybody?

Old 08-27-2002, 09:00 AM   #6
    Chelle1977
    Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
    If you can only do one or the other, then weights. If you have time, do a mix of both! And don't forget to stretch!

Building muscle does increase your metabolism making it more likely that you'll lose fat later. And actually, you can't really expect your body to build muscle while you're losing fat, but by lifting weights while you're doing cardio, you'll be less likely to lose muscle mass and more likely to lose fat.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:32 AM   #7
    Tanker
    (male)

Tanker HB User
    Although I weigh 190 pounds and am 5'9, the only reason I want to lose weight is because of I've gotten a little big around the torso, mainly on my sides and my lower abs. When I am wearing clothes, I do not look that overweight but when I go to the beach to go surfing, I feel a little embarassed of my physique. Other than those places, I am comfortable with myself. I have finally decided to split 10 minutes of cardio between rowing and either jump roping or running.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:57 AM   #8
    Chelle1977
    Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
    Tanker

In that case, I sincerely doubt that you have 20lbs to lose. More like 10 probably. Don't forget to work those areas (crunches, etc) to make the muscles underneath firm.

You men have it easy .. girls think stuff like that is cute ;-D

Old 08-27-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
    Tanker
    (male)

Tanker HB User
    YOu really think I only need to 10 pounds? That sounds even better to me! I used to do alot of abdominal exercises until I realized that I should do more cardio to lose the weight which is more important. Oh yeah, and I have one think to ask: if I lose 10 pounds and I end up weighing 170 pounds, I'm still overweight so is it still healthy to be over the weight I am "supposed" to be at?

Old 08-28-2002, 02:48 PM   #10
    Chelle1977
    Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
    Go see your doctor .. have him give you a physical and check your numbers (blood pressure, etc) and see if you're healthy or not. The weight charts are based on old figures and I don't think they're all that accurate for men.

If you look great in clothes, but a little flabby in a suit, I'm sure you don't have a great deal of fat to lose. You should do both cardio AND crunches.

Closed Thread