It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Only Whole Wheat???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #31
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User
    Re: Only Whole Wheat???

I still say its not that healthy.. and, shouldnt be on that pyramid as 'The Grain'.. their should be a whole variety of grains on that pyramid, then people would have a real variety.. not just wheat.. the gluey stuff ya know.. Think about it..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 10:30 PM   #32
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

It is on there as you say it should be with all of the grains. Whole wheat included. Whole wheat seems to be stressed more then the others though.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:10 AM   #33
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes cuz its less expensive.. people dont wanna pay 6.00$ for a healthy bread, they rather buy an expensive pair of jeans. You should think about that one to. I just purchased 2 loaves of Quinoa and, millet bread today for 6.00$ each.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:44 AM   #34
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Wheat, and corn, and rice will always be stressed by a nation that produces excess wheat, corn, and rice.
    Weathy farm conglomerates can buy lots of politicians.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #35
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kari7171
    I was under the impression that a person should eat whole wheat for there health. If someone cuts out wheat what can they eat to still have a nutritionally sound diet?
    Plenty of people do very well without it or with very little of it. As already pointed out, there are plenty of other grains. Plus, IMHO, the emphasis on grains in the USDA food pyramid is not warranted. I think they have admitted that themselves with this new revision that recommends approximately 3 servings of whole grains a day. That leaves the rest that can be filled with refined products. Nobody can convince me that refined grain products are necessary for health.

Quote:
    Avoiding grains like that sounds like the Adkins diet which has been proven to be unhealthy. I don't believe in cutting out any food group.
    This is a very common confusion but I don't know why. The reasons many recommend cutting down on or eliminating wheat have absolutely nothing to do with Dr. Atkins' plan . . . and absolutely nothing to do with carbs. And nobody is recommending cutting out any food group . . . not even Dr. Atkins, no matter what the anti-Atkins sites say . . . read his books.

Quote:
    Everything in moderation.
    Indeed, including wheat if one chooses the eat it. Not the 3 and more servings a day I would estimate the majority of Americans eat.

Quote:
    I don't know who's eating that much wheat. I have a hard time getting my family to eat whole wheat. They would rather have white pasta which is bad.
    Check that label . . . the pasta is wheat. Check all your labels. That's what we're talking about. Wheat is everywhere, not just whole wheat.

Yes, the processed stuff is worse, but whole wheat has its problems, too. No, there is not the scientific evidence that tdot would like (in fact financial interests will probably prevent that for a long time to come). But it is amazing how many people, from different angles, for different reasons, for different health reasons have concluded that wheat is not all it's cracked up to be. Just keep it in the back of your mind. One day if you wake up and realize you have been suffering some vague complaint and the doctors find no answers or some more concrete complaints, think about cutting out wheat.

Last edited by auntjudyg; 08-26-2005 at 07:21 AM.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #36
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

Good post Auntjudy!

Old 08-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #37
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

"That leaves the rest that can be filled with refined products. Nobody can convince me that refined grain products are necessary for health."

Actually the rest is filled with 2.5 cups veggies, 2 cups fruit, 3 cups milk or dairy, 5.5 oz meat/beans. Those were the recommendations for someone my age. They say no refined food at all. Americans will not stay away from that though. Most don't care about nutrition or know anything about it.

Last edited by Kari7171; 08-26-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #38
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    "That leaves the rest that can be filled with refined products. Nobody can convince me that refined grain products are necessary for health."

Actually the rest is filled with 2.5 cups veggies, 2 cups fruit, 3 cups milk or dairy, 5.5 oz meat/beans. Those were the recommendations for someone my age. They say no refined food at all. Americans will not stay away from that though. Most don't care about nutrition or know anything about it.
    The rest of the grain group.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #39
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomas3000
    Good post Auntjudy!
    Muchas gracias! But, boy oh boy, wheat is one of my pet peeves. As I've said before here and elsewhere, I'd love to see how many people's IBS/IBD/Crohn's/whatever symptoms would improve or disappear and how many people would get off SSRIs if they gave up wheat. Such a simple thing, but where would you hear about it in the mainstream media?

Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #40
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

LOLLL aunty, for some wheat is like heroin..

Old 08-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #41
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I base my decisions on scientific fact. If someone can give me scientific fact that whole wheat is really bad for us then fine. So far all I am seeing is hype. The heroin comment is pretty rude I think. I think i'll bow out of this conversation if it's going to be all about hype and and people making rude comments.

Last edited by Kari7171; 08-26-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #42
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    LOLLL aunty, for some wheat is like heroin..
    And people get so defensive about their wheat. It is just beyond belief!!!

Old 08-26-2005, 12:12 PM   #43
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

kari start reading books and, you' ll see the experinces that people lived across the world and, how wrong they felt about their health when they where consuming wheat.. this is no hype.. trust me

Old 08-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #44
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It has some healthy roots:
    "Give us this day our daily bread"
    "the staff of life"
    "manna from Heaven"
    All wheat!

Without wheat there would be no civilization, certainly nothing of the size mankind has grown to: man being able to develop wheat from the humble grasses allowed for the feeding of an otherwise untenable population.
    Wheat and it's sister grain, rice, probably account for over half of all the food eaten (calories) on the planet.

It's gotten a bad rap by the meat and dairy sellers who would rather sell second-hand wheat...the meat, milk, cheese and butter made from wheat and costing 20 times as much.

If the population keeps growing at the same rate, we (or our ancestors) can look forward to eating LOTS more wheat directly; it will be too valuable to feed to animals except to feed the mega-rich.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:30 AM   #45
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

I have scientific proof that wheat kills people, yes I said it kills. It causes cancer, cardiovascular disease, depression, autoimmune disease(lupus, hashimoto's thyroid, adrenal malfunction, and a host of others). The heroin comment is dead on. It is like a drug. It gives lots of pleasure until your neurotransmitters are depleted and then the chronic health probles arise. Nobody digests it fully. I know a woman with breast cancer that went of off gluten and cancer went away. What does that tell you? It's a silent killer and I have the scientific proof to back it up..

Last edited by thomas3000; 08-27-2005 at 05:31 AM.

Closed Thread