It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Only Whole Wheat???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #61
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User
    Re: Only Whole Wheat???

Answer one question.. What CAUSES addisons disease? Not how is it treated, but what causes it. That's the type of medicine I'm talking about here...Losec, you're right, I'm out to the golf course to enjoy the day...caio

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #62
    tdot
    (female)

tdot HB User

The cause of Addison's disease is idopathic, meaning the cause is unknown, meaning noone knows the cause.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #63
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Wheat Kills, Soy kills, artificial sweetners kill, SUGAR kills, dairy kills, meat kills, potatoes kill, tomatoes kill, starch kills...did I miss anything?

If all this internet silliness were true, mankind would have died out during the Paleolithic age.
    Humans were not eating much of that stuff in the Paleolithic . . . meat, yes, but not like the meat most of us eat today; same with dairy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    A good marketing trick to sell a particular food is to call all competing foods evil; too bad everyone can't see through this seemingly obvious ploy!
    Do you really believe that all the "anti-" talk is a good marketing trick? You don't believe some people have real problems with some of these foods?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #64
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdot
    I actually find it funny reading about all the horrible things wheat can do to your body. I was just walking through the hall at work wondering - if wheat is so bad, why is my grandfather so healthy at 90 years old? He ate wheat his WHOLE LIFE!
    Haven't you been saying that people react differently? It works both ways, you know.

So let's think about this a minute. Does EVERYONE live to be 90 years old and healthy? Some people live longer, healthily. Some people live a shorter amount of time and are unhealthy. It would seem there are other factors that contribute to such things.

So you think it is funny that some people have found a food that contributes negatively to their health and want to share that knowledge with others who might not otherwise think of it? Particularly in the face of others insisting it cannot be true; it is just a marketing ploy; just because it does not happen to them? Just because you are not the same?

Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #65
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

TDOT,

There is really no more to say on this subject. We've both had our opinions, but mine was based on science. Conventional medicine may know about addisons, hashimoto's, depression, anxiety, autoimmune, etc...but they don't know what causes it. As a matter of fact, they don't know what causes anything. That's where functional medicine comes in. Yes conventional medicine saves lives everyday, but they don't know how to treat disease...Simply giving a drug for symptoms or an illness is a crime against humanity in my opinion, because it doesn't address the root cause. Nutrition, exercise, stress management are keys to optimal health. Our own government is letting us kill ourselves and they make one hell of a profit on our illness. I have met MD's personally who are sick of just treating symptoms with drugs, they really want to find out causes of illnesses. It's a paradigm shift happening as we speak. I just hope the FDA and the AMA don't try to stop it from happening or else we'll keep dying and suffering needlessly....

Old 09-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #66
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

save your breath guys, we know what we know, leave the rest alone. They will learn as they live and, learn.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #67
    nubbin2
    (female)

nubbin2 HB User

WOW, what an interesting thread. I have enjoyed reading your discussions very much. Much information from both sides. I believe that I have a sensitivity to gluten. I have attempted to come of wheat products before and failed each time. I can't figure out how to do it. I have IBS, depression and I am overweight. I have always been healthy and fit. I am active for the most part, I live in the country and have animals to tend, a garden and I love yardwork. However, for the past 10 years my health has been going downhill and I have gained 40 pounds. I was never overweight before, always around 120 pounds. Now 160. People look at me and think I am healthy, but I have the problems mentioned above and I feel sluggish and puffy. What I want to know from you who do not eat wheat is; how can I do it? I need your advice. Also, I don't have access to specialty food stores. I work 40 hours per week and the specialty shops are at least 45 miles away.
    And...one more thing, I have a husband to cook for who will not give up wheat.

nubbin2

Last edited by nubbin2; 09-22-2005 at 02:06 PM. Reason: need to add somehing

Old 09-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #68
    YaYa04
    (female)

YaYa04 HB User

White bread is the only bread I eat. I've never had any problems eating it.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #69
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

like i said, Gluten is like cigarettes you can smoke for 40 years and, be ok and, then just get news you have lung cancer from all the smoking you did. If your fine with gluten, doesnt mean your body can tolerate it.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #70
    YaYa04
    (female)

YaYa04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    like i said, Gluten is like cigarettes you can smoke for 40 years and, be ok and, then just get news you have lung cancer from all the smoking you did. If your fine with gluten, doesnt mean your body can tolerate it.
    I've been eating white bread my whole life and I'm 37.
    My Grandmother has also been eating white bread for her whole life and she is the healthy woman I know. Everyone is different and different foods effects people in different ways.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 PM   #71
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

i ate white bread for 37 years too, now im 39 and, cant tolerate it. Your grandma is one of the few that made it.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #72
    YaYa04
    (female)

YaYa04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    i ate white bread for 37 years too, now im 39 and, cant tolerate it. Your grandma is one of the few that made it.
    Few? Many, many people eat white bread and never have any problems. You do realise that there is gluten-free white bread?

Old 09-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #73
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nubbin2
    WOW, what an interesting thread. I have enjoyed reading your discussions very much. Much information from both sides. I believe that I have a sensitivity to gluten. I have attempted to come of wheat products before and failed each time. I can't figure out how to do it. I have IBS, depression and I am overweight. I have always been healthy and fit. I am active for the most part, I live in the country and have animals to tend, a garden and I love yardwork. However, for the past 10 years my health has been going downhill and I have gained 40 pounds. I was never overweight before, always around 120 pounds. Now 160. People look at me and think I am healthy, but I have the problems mentioned above and I feel sluggish and puffy. What I want to know from you who do not eat wheat is; how can I do it? I need your advice. Also, I don't have access to specialty food stores. I work 40 hours per week and the specialty shops are at least 45 miles away.
    And...one more thing, I have a husband to cook for who will not give up wheat.

nubbin2
    nubbin2,

May I suggest that you start a thread labeled something like How Do I Change to Gluten-Free? or something so that the theme of that thread is to focus on useful suggestions. THIS thread is mostly arguments about how the rest of the world is dying from wheat and they just don't know it yet (zombies?).

You deserve a discussion and suggestions of your own. Also, on this Board (Diet and Nutrition) as well as on the Nutritional Disorders Board and the Digestive Disorders Board, there have been threads with lots of suggestions of what to eat. In each of these Boards you can do a search for "celiac" and get a bazillion threads that have discussed this theme. But I would love to make some practical suggestions just for your situation, and I'm sure there are lots of folks here who have some helpful things to say. But I'm not going to add anything more to this thread.

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 09-22-2005 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added something

Old 09-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #74
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

zombies!!...LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Closed Thread