It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Only Whole Wheat???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
    jade112
    (female)

jade112 HB User
    Only Whole Wheat???

OK so I know white bread is NO GOOD and whole wheat/grain is the healthier way to go so my question is what about other breads like Seeded Rye or Pumpernickle(sp?) How are they?

I do like Whole Wheat but I love love rye bread and I just wanted to see if it was any better for me than plain old white bread.....

Thanks-a-mucho!!!
    Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User
    Re: Only Whole Wheat???

Most of those breads are whole grain, as well as having individual benefits, so they're good for you too! Even white bread isn't the DEVIL, it's just not optimal if you're looking to have bread that's nutrient rich..

Old 08-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

before selecting a healthful bread, you should read the book dangerous grains..

Old 08-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Jade,

The package should say something like "100% whole grains". Read the list of ingredients. It should say whole grain everything (whole rye, whole wheat), and not "wheat flour", which is really white flour. Many breads have wheat flour (white) in them because it makes for a more tender bread.

--Rheanna

Old 08-24-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Jade,
    Yes, whole grain IS better, however, if you suffer from ANY adverse conditions such as GI upset etc, then I would try to avoid wheat since wheat causes many problems for some people. Plus, I wouldn't OVERDUE wheat products.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

actually whole wheat is still wheat. Wheat is not good for people in general, mainly because it contains GLUTEN (something very hard to digest). Many people are allergic to wheat and/or gluten and they dont even know it! It's a very common allergen. Rye and spelt also contain gluten, though I find I can get away w/ eating them w/o a stomach ache most of the time, so they must be alot less harsher then wheat. Some wonderful whole grains which are gluten free include: Oats (oat bread is delicious... but check the ingredients, because many oat breads include wheat), millet (which can be prepared like rice.. i love it!), brown rice, wild rice, amaranth, and quinoah. Hope that helps!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #7
    goldenseal
    (female)

goldenseal HB User

I'd actually like to add/correct that NOBODY's body agrees with wheat. Some people may be able to tolerate gluten, but everyone's body is opposed to wheat (though some may handle it better than others). I get a stomach ache from wheat, my friend breaks out, my mother gets tired... I recently met someone who gets a headache from it. Anyone, I think you get the point

Old 08-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
    tdot
    (female)

tdot HB User

That's silly! There are lots of people who tolerate wheat perfectly well! For example me!!!

I never ever have stomach problems, don't get headaches, am not fatigued, have lots of energy, maintain a healthy weight, my blood work is all perfect, I don't have acne, actually I have perfect skin. I'm perfectly happy, healthy and energetic and I eat wheat.

There is absolutely no proof that "everyone is intolerant to wheat". Yes, I agree there are individuals who are intolerant to wheat - those with celiac disease - but otherwise, please do not say that "everyone is intolerant to wheat" when it's just absolutely NOT true!

Last edited by tdot; 08-24-2005 at 08:51 AM.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
    jade112
    (female)

jade112 HB User

WOW!! Thanks everyone for all the replies. You all have given me great, very different, but all very interesting points!
    Personally I have not noticed myself having difficulties digesting wheat, its just not my favorite kind of bread. I am glad to know I have A TON of different healthy options to try. (100% whole grain options )
    Goldenseal- I am going to try your suggestions for sure, I have not even heard of some of them so this will be great!!!

Thanks again
    Jade

Old 08-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

tdot i can remeber you saying you studied nutriton, you should get the book dangerous grains and, read it.. you will freak out.. Im saying this like for example, lots of people smoke and, feel fine with it but, we all know how bad smoking can be.. just like the gluten. ..

Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

Amen Losec,

TDOT, I was fine and healthy eating wheat till i started having adrenal/thyroid issues. Gluten will catch up with you eventually, whether it's cancer, heart disease, depression, autoimmune. It's poison for at least half of the United States. If you're irish, dutch, swedish, scandinavian, english, by all means stay away from it, it's a silent killer really!!

Old 08-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

I kind of sensed you coming in here thomas.. smart man.. keep going up hill.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:50 AM   #13
    tdot
    (female)

tdot HB User

I actually have Addison's disease, but there is absolutely no proof that it is caused by eating wheat. If you said that to an endocrinologist, they would laugh. If wheat causes "adrenal issues", then why is primary Addison's disease so rare? And just to note, even though I have Addison's disease, I'm the picture of health. Most Addisonians are fatigued, often sick, etc - but not me. I work full-time in a very high-paced job, I coach soccer, play soccer, beach volleyball, work-out 2-3 times a week, and actually did a triathlon last winter. I'm never fatigued, always full of energy and feel vital and healthy.

Losec, I know you and I have talked about this before. Thanks for the book recommendation, but it's all about reference. There are books that say grains are bad and there are books that say grains are good. There are books that say milk is bad, there are books that say milk is good. There are two sides to every story and personally I'm not willing to put all my faith in some author who uses testimonials as research. I'm a scientist at heart, when I believe something, it's because of scientific research.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:06 AM   #14
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

If someone has been eating wheat all their lives, and says, oh, I'm fine eating wheat . . . it really doesn't finalize the matter. A better test would be to cut out wheat for a couple of weeks (at least two, but three would be better). Then introduce wheat back into your diet and see how you feel.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 AM   #15
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

tdot.. a person smoking a pack of cigarettes everyday, is like a person eating a loaf a wheat bread eveyday. They feel perfectly fine.. but in reality they are not.. what im saying is that, its the overdose thats the problem in todays society.. Now since gluten is added into just about everything your eyes set on, it becomes very scary.. I mean, there is gluten in lipstick.. my girlfriend cant wear lipstcik,,or i cant kiss her..

Closed Thread