It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Aspartame and Cellulite

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User
    Aspartame and Cellulite

Hi everyone..

I know there have been countless debates about aspartame and it's many dangers. I've heard most of them and they seem logical, but recently I was reading about diet pop and how it causes cellulite. Does anyone know how this is possible and if it is or is not true? I know that there are theories about aspartame causing weight gain (because of the body signals, eating more, etc), but aside from that, does it actually CAUSE cellulite?

Thanks,
    GG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
    zusanna
    (female)

zusanna HB User
    Re: Aspartame and Cellulite

I've heard the same thing numerous times but I'm not sure if it's something that's been proven or not. I recently completely cut aspartame or any other kind of artificial sweetener out of my diet. For one thing I heard it caused water retention and bloating (among the many other much more harmful things it causes) which I've been having alot of problems with and for the last week I have not had anything containing aspartame and my water retention and bloating has decreased tremendously! I would not doubt that it causes cellulite. But I'm not sure if that has been proven.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Cellulite is simply the way fat is arranged in the bodies of most women. If you lose weight in a healthy manner, so as to lose fat instead of muscle, then your cellulite will be less noticeable because you will have less fat. If you gain weight without working out, so as to gain fat instead of muscle, your fat will be added according to your own genetics, and for most of us women that means cellulite. Specific substances that we eat or don't eat have no bearing on how our bodies arrange the fat (that is, there is no magic pill to make it go away and no evil food to make it worse).

This is what I understand from reading years of nutritional and exercise information.

--Rheanna

Old 08-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Just an urban myth. Aspartame does not cause cellulite. In fact if it helps you lose weight it will improve the look of cellulite.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:44 AM   #5
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Thanks guys..although I know that aspartame isn't the best thing for you, having in moderately (ie/ not mch at ALL), I believe cannot hurt you THAT much. I just had read this little tidbit and wondered if it were true. It didn't seem to be logical that a food could actually CAUSE cellulite outside of gaining weight, so I just wanted to affirm my hunch. Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
    rach12
    Veteran

rach12 HB User

My opnion is that it is the caffine in diet soda can dehydrate you. When you are dehydrated what cellulite you have is more visible. That is all.

Closed Thread