It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• What is the difference between lean protein and other protein?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
    bull69

bull69 HB User
    Post What is the difference between lean protein and other protein?

I was just wondering what exactly is lean protein and can you name what kind of foods we can get this lean protein from? Is the protein in eggs, tuna/salmon, chicken breast considered lean protein or regular protein?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2003, 05:25 AM   #2
    cross

cross HB User
    Yup... that stuff is lean. Chicken, fish, seafood... all lean. Trimmed (fat cut of) cuts of red meat can be lean, but probably not as lean as chicken or fish. The fatty meats are beef and pork, especially the ground stuff. Want an education is lean? Read the nutrition labels. Look at hamburger, hotdogs and sausage. The amount of fat that is ground into those foods is incredible! Then look at buffalo if you can find it. It's VERY lean.

Lean is low fat. "regular" as youy put it is probably meat in its natural state (like chicken with the skin on) Ground meats could be considered 'high fat'

Old 01-20-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Turkey is also lean.

In our area, ground meats are available with different percentages of fat, so there are leaner options there.

I don't know for sure, but I'm not sure salmon would qualify as "lean", though its oils are certainly worth adding to one's diet, IMHO. Tuna packed in oil also would not be lean.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:02 AM   #4
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, Eggs are not considered lean, unless you are eating just the egg whites. Then they are considered fat free. It has a lot to do with the portion size being compared with the amount of fat it contains. Skinless chicken is lean, but once it has the skin on or is deep fried it is no longer lean. Fish has always been considered lean, even the "fatty" fish like salmon, because it has less fat than regular beef. You can buy 95% and 98% lean beef and 96% lean turkey bacon. When buying red meat, the AHA suggest to look for the words loin or round since those are your leanest cuts of meat...but that doesn't mean you can over do the red meats. (I know, it's in the free pamplets I got from the AHA.) Chuck is considered extremely fatty and is a big no no in a low fat diet.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 01-20-2003, 07:02 AM   #5
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    p.s. Eggs are not lean, but again they have nutritional benefits that make them worth adding to most people's diets, IMHO.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:50 AM   #6
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello again, I forgot to mention that the dark meat in poultry is not considered lean, but the white meat is. Also duck is very fattening. Duck contains more fat than red meat. It's 28 g. of fat per serving.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 01-20-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
    chitrick

chitrick HB User
    Re: duck fat...isn't all of the fat in and around the skin? In fact, if you just remove the easily removable fat and skin from the duck (as you should also be doing with chicken), then the meat itself is quite lean. That's what I understand anyway.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #8
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    RE: Duck meat - Duck meat is dark meat and dark meat has more fat than light meat, so you might get less fat by not eating the skin, but still be eating just as much fat as regular beef. When they talk about chicken...it's always skinless chicken breast not the leg, because that's classified as dark meat too. Same goes for turkey as with chicken. You can get ground turkey meat that is ground white meat only. Duck is also different, because it's water fowl so it does contain more grease and fat than chicken. I'd just save the duck for special occations...and then I'd enough the crisp skin with it...just as long as the special occations aren't too close together.

------------------
    Magpie

Closed Thread