It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• considering adding tofu to diet, do the negative affects of soya affect tofu?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
    IAmTheGame

IAmTheGame HB User
    Post considering adding tofu to diet, do the negative affects of soya affect tofu?

Hi, i am a vegetarian looking to add some more protein to my diet. I was thinking of adding tofu but then i researched it online and found it is made from soya and i have read many things on how negative soya can be. My main concern is the level of insulin in soya and how it can increase hormone levels because i am still a teenager and i have found foods high in sugar and carbs to cause me alot of acne (i know not everyone agrees on this either). I also read alot of posts on this board about soya and i just wanted to ask if eating 1 serving of tofu (about 100g) would increase my hormonal levels ??
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
    arkie6
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

arkie6 HB User
    Soy contains plant estrogens known as phytoestrogens, not insulin. These plant estrogens have a similar effect on the human body as estrogen. Estrogen is predominately a female hormone. If you are a teenage male, I don't think you would be doing yourself any favors by taking in extra estrogen. Tofu also contains these plant estrogens since it is made from soy.

Old 01-30-2003, 05:46 AM   #3
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, My husband eats a lot of soy and does not suffer any side effects. He's been eating soy all his life. He's from China. He also has a constant 12:00 shadow, which is really annoying. The only reason why his muscles aren't big, is because he just won't lift weights...not even dumb-bells. So what is the "terrible" soy bean supposed to do to men? It's a bean. You know like lima beans. Fresh soy bean even tastes like lima beans. Tofu is just a by product, which you can make in your own home if you really wanted to. Sorry to sound so defensive, but I just don't see any harm in the soy bean. I think it's really the preservatives in prepared foods, whether the prepared foods are soy or meat or vegetable, that are more harmful than soy beans. Did you know that there are soy beans in fast food hamburgers? I know there are a lot of ani-soy web sites and there are a lot of pro-soy web sites, so I think it's up to the individual to decide. I don't know what your objective is to getting more protein in your diet, but eating more soy should be no problem. It is a good source of protein for a vegan. If you're not vegan you can always get protein from skim milk or eggs if you do not have a cholesterol problem. Soy does have fat in it too, if you're watching fat. Your posting doesn't sound like you're watching fat, which is ok. Oh, other vegan sources of protein are beans and nuts. You can even make your own "cheese" from cashews. Pretty cool! Bon appitite!

------------------
    Magpie

Closed Thread