It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• what is 'aspartme' and can it be harmful?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #16
    Mariele

Mariele HB User
    Thanks for the well-reasoned answers, Sean. Anecdotal evidence is interesting, but I haven't seen any convincing final conclusions either.
    I have a special interest in this topic because my daughter has Type 1 diabetes. That's the instantly insulin-dependent type. If she wants soda, it HAS to be diet. If she eats chocolate, it HAS to be artificially sweetened. It's hard to deny a child these things, but I hate to read that I may be doing her harm. At the same time, I want to know...if it's true!
    It's good to read a balanced view. Although I didn't start this thread, thank you all for your input.I think we'll go with moderation and varying the sweeteners.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2003, 11:01 PM   #17
    ysone

ysone HB User
    Mariele & all,
    Stevia is a good natural herbal sweetener which would be a good alternative without all the controversy. I would also recommend the book "The Diabetes Improvement Program" by Dr. Patrick Quillin. I have found it very helpful. Y

Old 03-02-2003, 09:32 AM   #18
    hunter44
    Inactive

hunter44 HB User
    Thanks, Sean. I've always stayed away because I was led to believe it caused false insulin spikes and have used Splenda. Who are we to believe?

Closed Thread