It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• what is 'aspartme' and can it be harmful?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
    bull69

bull69 HB User
    Post what is 'aspartme' and can it be harmful?

I read somewhere that aspartme can be very harmful and i just checked my protein shake and fibre1 cereal and they both contain aspartme. Is it really that harmful?
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
    Makinmschf
    Inactive

Makinmschf HB User
    My advice is for you to do a web search on it....this is very controversial.I will say that aspartame has not hindered my weight loss any and I have not had any ill effects from it.Do some research and decide for yourself.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
    JustGo79

JustGo79 HB User
    the knowledgable GNC people, at my local GNC, all say don't drink it......I forget all the reasons why not to, but I remember they were all very adament about not drinking it.....

Old 02-13-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
    magnolia

magnolia HB User
    like with everything else, for every study that says aspartame is safe is another study that says it is unsafe....like a previous poster mentioned, plug in aspartame poisoning in your search engine to pull up info re: aspartame poisoning...
    aspartame is found in so many products that sometimes it is hard to avoid...but you can subsitute certain products that are made with splenda in lieu of those made with aspartame if that is your preference.

Old 02-16-2003, 05:16 PM   #5
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I think one research study did show aspartame caused tumors in some mice(remember they give a really larger than life dose to these poor mice) and I think anything that is controversial should be viewed with caution til the final results are in. So far Splenda has had no bad publicity.

Old 02-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
    curse
    Inactive

curse HB User
    Wink

I used to live on Diet Coke until someone E-mailed me a notice they had found on the Internet concerning aspartame & diet soda. I had just returned from the hospital where yet another seizure landed me. I quit drinking diet soda & had my drugs switched @ the same time. I have only had one minor "flop" in almost a year. I've tried many, many drugs for my "flops" & this is the first time in 12+ years, that I only had one in a year. I averaged 5-6 seizures a year.
    I had switched from 2 drugs last year until finally finding one that works, for now. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)
    I truly believe that aspartame is a crutch.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:51 PM   #7
    CocaCola

CocaCola HB User
    Aspartame is a sugar substitute (I think). I stay away from because I heard it can cause cancer. If it's between a diet pop or the real thing I'll take the real thing...just incase.

Old 02-25-2003, 06:09 AM   #8
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    I think most of the aspartame scare is an Internet fable. It was started primarily by Atkins dieters who coincidentally had the rights to peddle Splenda (sucralose).

Judge for yourself.

I prefer cyclamates ordered from Canada, but have gotten good weight loss with LOTS of aspartame in my Crystal Light, Diet Jello, and diet sodas.

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 02-25-2003).]

Old 02-25-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
    flexnfx

flexnfx HB User
    Cool

Try Splenda or SomerSweet

Old 02-25-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    It is getting tedious to read over and over the internet idiocy passing for the "inside story" on aspartame. It is as close to a harmless chemical as we know of. No, there is NOT one study saying it's unsafe for every one saying it's safe. There are millions of internet messages saying so, but that is not the same thing as a scientific study.

As to studies meeting any of the usual, even casual, standards for what makes for scientific research, I have been looking for a long time, and haven't found one. Not one. What I do keep seeing is internet messages like those, above. But I keep seeing internet messages that Bill Gates wants to pay me $220 for every email I get you to send to him, too.

Same for the notion that the sweetness of an artificial sweetener causes an insulin rush as if it were sugar. Many researchers have studied this issue, looking for this effect. They fail, over and over again, to find it. It doesn't happen.

(Oh by the way, I am an Atkins dieter, and I've never used Splenda, and drink diet snapple and other nutrasweet beverages all day. With all the cracks at Atkins, how did he get blamed 'cause his recipes use Splenda??!!!? I've never seen the internet rumors about aspartame repeated by the Atkins web sites. and no, I have no commercial interest in any sweetener or food, or ATkins, at all.)

Since the saccharine/cyclamate scares of the sixties and seventies (also false scares as it turned out), artificial sweeteners have been extremely closely examined, variously banned and unbanned, studied from every angle at ridiculous doses, by multiple countries with varying commercial or agricultural biases for or against, and so on. Aspartame is one of the most studied food additives in use today (and believe me, you are probably eating dozens of additives in your "normal" diet each day. Very few of these have been studied as thoroughly as have articifical sweeteners, including aspartame.)

It is not dangerous. It does NOT break down into formaldehyde. Where did this ideas come from? A tiny amount of methanol is released when it is metabolized, but it is a miniscule amount compared to the amount your body produces naturally every day in the gut (yes, it does. your gut produces formaldehyde, too, by the way.). You wouldn't even be able to measure this methanol breakdown product in vivo, as it would be lost in the more massive amounts there naturally.

Aspartame is made by combining, and breaks down into, two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Unless you have PKU--a rare but serous disease which makes you unable to digest phenylalanine,--these are very useful amino acids. [And if you do have PKU, aspartame would be the least of your worries, as there are huge quantities of this amino acid in many common foods, especially meats.] The two amino acids in aspartame are in pretty tiny quantities, since we eat artificial sweeteners as a condiment or flavoring, not as a main dish. Otherwise we'd probably be telling people to eat extra nutrasweet, not avoid it, as a protein booster. Joke, folks.

Some people are sensitive to almost any food or food additive (natural or synthetic) that you can name, but with that said, aspartame or nutrasweet is one of the most studied and least irritating or toxic chemicals out there. The health risks cannot possibly compare to the known and easily measured health risks of being overweight. There is no excuse for continuing to drink sugared soda, for example, if you want to trim down.

Unless you are somehow especially sensitive to, maybe allergic to, this or another artificial sweetener, it is crazy to continue to use sugar in any dish or drink when substitution is possible. Unless what you want to do is gain weight.

whew. glad I got that off my chest.

Let's get back to real issues. Like, how do we lose those last five pounds, after all? now THAT's a matter worthy of some serious scientific study.

sean

[This message has been edited by sean (edited 02-25-2003).]

Old 02-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #11
    creinha
    (female)

creinha HB User
    I was sick for a very long time. I was experiencing daily headaches, extreme fatigue, and depression. Doctor's couldn't find the cause of my symptoms. I finally ended up visiting a nutritionist. She determined that all my problems related to use of aspartame. About two weeks after I eliminated aspartame from my diet, symptoms went away. At first, I was really skeptical that aspartame was the problem but when the symptoms disappeared, I became a believer. Some time later, I read a book concerning the dangers of aspartame and it is very scary. I truly believe that aspartame is dangerous. I will NEVER use it again. I suggest you stay away from it too.

Cheri.

Old 02-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #12
    ysone

ysone HB User
    I have also had a very bad experience with aspartame. I was running to the doctor regularly for several years and had all kinds of tests done. They thought I was a hypochondriac and ended up giving me prozac for depression. That only magnified the problem because my system then had to eliminate two drugs instead of only one. After hearing that aspartame caused brain tumors, I stopped drinking diet sodas and my symptoms gradually disappeared. I truly believe that aspartame is very bad for people.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:20 PM   #13
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    It sure sounds like you two had a serious sensitivity, maybe allergy, to aspartame, and I would never disrespect that.

I was speaking in general. The HUGE number of people who have been studied taking this or other synthetic sweeteners is now awe-inspiring. We have studied more thousands of people for sweeteners than for any cancer drug or any other chemical you can imagine. They are, as a group, safer than peanuts. This doesn't mean that some folks will not react horribly. Some might--you did. You will of course avoid any chemical or food that did this to you in the future.

I'd never preach substituting research for good sense. And, synthetic food additives ARE scary--i try to buy organic produce when i can, even though I drink diet cold drinks. (I didn't say I was consistent.)

But even given your examples, its good to remember not to generalize from one or a few cases. To learn general lessons, you need to look at the population in general. Studies involving hundreds or more folks. Then, still, each of us has to be sensible about our own case. After all, some of us can react mortally to peanuts. Or brocolli. Or, you name it.

So, I encourage using ANYthing that cuts down on sugar intake--the real monster in our society's current dietary habits, I believe. I think more people have been made sick by sugar--even if sometimes its just dental illness--than by these sugar substitutes.

And, its hard not to react to some of the nonsense that gets spread around about aspartame. Of course, it was once the same for saccharine, and cyclamates, too. Makes me wonder if some sugar growers aren't sitting up at night inventing alarmist dirt to spread about artificial sweeteners. Hey, just kidding!

sean

Old 03-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #14
    flexnfx

flexnfx HB User
    Thumbs down

Anything that can become poisonous (i.e. GULF WAR SYNDROME) if heated up is not worth it! I'd avoid it.

Old 03-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #15
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

my whole point was that it does NOT become poisonous. not when heated, chilled, or whatever.

oh well.

This is one example of why urban myths and internet myths are resistant to cure--folks who WANT to believe them simply will. No matter what.

[This message has been edited by sean (edited 03-04-2003).]

Closed Thread