It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Headaches, muscle twitches, upset stomach due to coke, juice, alcohol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
    kyler

kyler HB User
    Post Headaches, muscle twitches, upset stomach due to coke, juice, alcohol?

Hi,

For almost as long as I know (I'm 18 now) I experienced several health problems. They included:

- terrible headaches (these were terrible during my childhood, since I watch my intake of drinks I don't have em anymore, ever)
    - muscle twitches
    - pain in my joints (mostly my hand and arms) like rheumatic people
    - dizzyness
    - pain in limbs (for instance when I would lock my foot and twist the rest of my body left or right, my entire leg would hurt real soon with only mild pressure from turning) Maybe this is related to the rheumatic symptoms?

I always thought of them as 'normal' since I really didn't know any better. One day however I realised that I got all or most of these symptoms from drinking coke! As a kid I drank terrible amounts of coke each day. As soon as I stopped drinking the stuff my life quality improved tremendeously. I found I get the same symptoms from drinking orange juice.

Let me give some further information on the symptoms and causes:

Coke usually gives me pains in my hands and joints and headaches around the same time accompanied with muscle twitches. It also upsets my stomach. (after a day/half a day from a can or two)

Orange juice also gives me pains in my hands and elsewhere, but to my knowlegde no headaches or muscle twitches. My stomach is ok too I believe. (I don't really know because I avoid the stuff like hell). Other juices I can drink I believe, like grapejuice is no problem.

Another thing I noticed is that when I went out the night before and drank a fair amount I sometimes wake up with pains in my joints. (although this is not the case when I drink a bottle of water of two before going to bed, to avoid dehydration and thus a hangover).

I began drinking some cappucinos for a time because I needed to stay awake a while, I drank em a few days and I noticed I got a headache.

My question now is what the cause of this is? I can imagine a link between the coke and the orange juice (maybe some sweetener is present in the juice too). Or a link between the coke and the cappucino because of the caffeine. But how does the alcohol fit in? I figure:

coke: sweetener, caffeine, dehydration, acidic juices?
    orange juice: acidic juice? sweetener?
    cappucino/cofee: caffeine
    alcohol: dehydration

My guess is I drank too much coke in my childhood, and now I'm allergic to it.

Also, my mother is very rheumatic the last few years, and since a few months she has attended a course that handled on nutrition. She learned that she could ease the pain in her joints by changing her diet and taking vitimin supplementaries. She used to take pills to control the pain (this only worked against the pain though). I don't think she still takes the painkillers and she said her pains was far less. The reason I'm telling this is because she also daily drinks coke (she drinks diet coke though, and sometimes caffeine free I believe), juice and coffee. Could she also experience a reaction to these?

I would also encourage everybody to change their ways of eating and drinking if their not healthy already. I can't express how my life quality has chenged since I did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
    linux123

linux123 HB User
    i get a strange kind of pain especially in my hands when i drink sugary drinks. it feels like suddently there is alot of weight on the hands and someone is really pulling them or something. this happened a few years back when i was drinking 'fruitopia' brand.

i feel the same pain (although not at the extremes) when i drink orange juice in large amounts, like 2 glasses in one sitting.

Old 02-26-2003, 06:54 AM   #3
    kyler

kyler HB User
    Yes, it's the same pain, to me it feels like my bones are icecold.

Have you got any idea what ingredient causes it?

Old 02-26-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
    hunter44
    Inactive

hunter44 HB User
    Seems to me that it could be an insulin reaction, regular coke and OJ are nothing but sugar which would cause an insulin surge. Alcohol is different. I would go to a doctor and have a glucose test and cut out the simple sugars/carbohydrates.

Old 02-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
    ysone

ysone HB User
    It is called acidosis. You are giving your bodies so much acid that the calcium is being pulled out of your bones in order to neutralize the acid. You can do a couple of things. The first is to stop putting all the acid into your bodies and the second is to take calcium supplements. The best is coral calcium because it also has a lot of other mineals to help with absorption of the calcium. Cal-Max and Calcium gluconate are also good sources. Please give this a try. You will get relief almost immediately. Good Luck.

Old 02-27-2003, 03:15 AM   #6
    kyler

kyler HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by hunter44:
    Seems to me that it could be an insulin reaction, regular coke and OJ are nothing but sugar which would cause an insulin surge. Alcohol is different. I would go to a doctor and have a glucose test and cut out the simple sugars/carbohydrates.
    I thought about this too for a long time, but I never react to any other sugary things, I can eat little blocks of sugar you put in your coffee and not get the symptoms (not that I do of course).

Quote:
    It is called acidosis. You are giving your bodies so much acid that the calcium is being pulled out of your bones in order to neutralize the acid. You can do a couple of things. The first is to stop putting all the acid into your bodies and the second is to take calcium supplements. The best is coral calcium because it also has a lot of other mineals to help with absorption of the calcium. Cal-Max and Calcium gluconate are also good sources. Please give this a try. You will get relief almost immediately. Good Luck.
    Eureka! This is probably it, but does it explain the pains in my hands from alcohol? Or the headaches from coffee? (maybe the coffee headaches are something different, after all I'm not used to coffee).

About the steps you reccomend: I already fully stopped eating or drinking ANYTHING that gives me these reactions, that I know of. Plus my parents gave me a few food supplements to take daily, they are 'Centrum' (contains 20% Ca of the daily value), 'Biochem Coenzymized DMAE' (which says on the front: 'With PAK and Pantothenic Acid Dietary Supplement' and on the back: Pantothenic Acid 100mg 1,000% daily value. It's an american bottle so the comma is not a decimal. Do you think this is bad for me as well?) lastly I take what rougly translates to 'fishoil' in capsules, I don't believe there's any harm in that.

I will be sure to try out those calcium additives, read up on acidosis and seek professional help on this subject.

Do you believe these reactions are due to an allergic reaction or due to a Ca deficiency? I'm afraid it's the first.

Old 02-27-2003, 04:14 AM   #7
    kyler

kyler HB User
    I did a websearch on acidosis and I found a lot of interesting stuff which I have yet to read thouroughly but I have found a table which list the acid forming foods and drinks they include: Alcohol (!), coffee (!) and commercial tea. This explains my reaction to two (counting the aspertame in coke: three) drinks already. The only thing I do not yet fully understand is the orange juice, as it is listed as a base forming drink: fresh fruits juices. Could it be a sweetener added to the juice or are oranges acidic in nature?

Another interesting snippit: "Next time you drink a pop such as a coke for example, check the label. You will see that phosphoric acid is one of the ingredients in this beverage. The pH of this drink is around 3. Our kidneys cannot excrete a urine with a pH lower than 5.
    The acids in this beverage have to be neutralized. If you had not eaten with your coke a plate full of fruits and vegetables, your body is going to take the calcium of your bones to neutralize this beverage."

The plus side is that since I stopped drinking coke a few years back, I switched to water (which contains Ca) and milk which also contains much Ca. Who knows in what condition my bones could be today if I hadn't stopped drinking coke, etc..

Old 02-28-2003, 10:56 AM   #8
    ysone

ysone HB User
    Kyler,
    I'm glad you changed your diet when you realized what was causing your symptoms. It has probably helped you tremendously.
    To answer your question about orange juice: The key word in that list is fresh. Fresh-squeezed orange juice has an alkalyzing effect on the body, as do oranges. Once the juice has been pasturized and processed, however, it becomes acidifying to the body. This is because the processing kills off all the good enzymes, etc. If you are drinking orange juice purchased from a store, you are drinking an acid drink. Fresh-squeeze your oranges or get a citrus juicer. I think you will see a difference. You also mentioned aspartame. I have had very bad reactions from it myself. I personally believe it should not be allowed into our foods. It is one of the reasons that cancer rates are skyrocketing. It has been linked to brain tumors. Hope this helps. Y

Old 02-28-2003, 06:29 PM   #9
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    I think coke is not a good thing to drink a lot of. I'm sure the sugar is at least partly responsible for your reactions. Other chemicals in most sodas, including colorants, are also suspect.Orange juice is also high in sugar. Yes, its a fine food in many ways, just high in sugar.

Calcium is no doubt good for you. Taking it in the mentioned forms or many other common forms will probably benefit you greatly. Most americans are calcium deficient. Try yoghurt (plain--too much sugar in the others).

Most everything else you have been told in these posts is pseudo-science. Most sodas are pH around 4. this is acid, but not very. (Phosphoric acid is a weak acid). vinegar is ten times as acidic as common sodas (pH around 3, and lemon juice ten times that, or about 100 times as acidic as common sodas. Sttomach acid, by the way, normal, regular, un-upset-stomcach acid, is about pH 1--or ten times as acidic as lemon juice and about 1,000--yes that's one thousand--times as acidic as the soda.

You cannot possibly eat anything in one meal or drink that will so acidify your system as to throw off the blood's natural buffering capacity. You have quarts and quarts of blood, remember. You can't possibly eat ANYthing that will acidify your blood as much as one hour of intensive exercise will. And, so what if you did? Yes, your kidneys will eliminate much of this acid, and your lungs even more of it through normal respiration. That's how your bod gets reid of the truly enormous quantities of lactic and other waste acids that accumulate when you exercise.

The folks writing in here do not know basic biology.

The idea that your blood could acidify so much that it could "pull" calcium out of your bones so fast that you feel it as pain is crazy. First, see above for acid foods, and second, few health problems have been studied as much as bone loss and calcium resoprtion, absorbtion, etc. these last several years, and NO one has reported this! The things that lead to bone loss are such as: sedentary lifestyle, insufficient vitamin D, insufficient sunshine, insufficient protein (yes, the idea that protein "acidifies" your blood leading to osteopososis has also been studied to death--the results are consistently that high protein diets--yes, including high animal protein diets--lead to denser, stronger bones, and low protein and low calcium intakes lead to bone loss, eventually osteopososis.)and so on.

get calcium, take multivitamins. the fishoil is great for you, i'm sure. avoid sugars if you can for a while and see if this helps a lot. if not, i'd certainly go to a dr. what you have described here looks like pretty serious stuff.

good luck

sean

Old 02-28-2003, 06:37 PM   #10
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    by the way "eating little blocks of sugar" is no where like the sugar/insulin challenge you will give your body by drinking one coke. Colas are roughly one HALF sugar by weight--we just don't notice it 'cause its dissolved. But that is one h of a lot of sugar in one or two such drinks.

I vote for insulin reaction, caused by sugar spike, as the cause of your troubles--especially the headache, which is almost a signal reacition for insulin overdose. again, if reducing sugar doesn't do the trick, see a doc. that stuff you're experiencing sounds painful!

sean

sean

Old 02-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #11
    ysone

ysone HB User
    No, one meal of acid foods will not acidify your body, but eating acid foods at every meal, day after day and/or drinking a lot of acid drinks can definitely effect the body. There IS research to this effect. The main thing is to listen to your body. When the wrong fuel goes into it, it will start sputtering and stalling, just as if you put diesel fuel into your car's gas tank. Our bodies can compensate for a while, but they cannot run very long on the wrong fuel. Y

Old 03-01-2003, 12:44 PM   #12
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

maybe, but this person is reporting an acute reaction to one or two beverages, one meal of the wrong thing, etc. such gross reactions as loss of calcium from the bones occur (when they do at all) very slowly, over years,not after one glass of oj.

there is some other root to the problem here. sugar/insulin seems one likely possiblity. I'm sure there are others. But, a meal or two or a cola or two creating instant acidosis is nonsense. And this statement comes from someone (me) who is SURE soda is bad for us overall.

So, kyler, if avoiding sugar and other simple, high glycemic starches (white bread and white pasta being the most common) for a couple of days "cures" this problem, then there you are. If not, I'd still suggest a chat with a physician. what you describe does not sound like fun.

peace

sean

Old 03-02-2003, 12:50 AM   #13
    ysone

ysone HB User
    Sean,
    Kyler said "as a kid I drank terrible amounts of coke each day". He improved when he stopped drinking the coke. He is only 18 now. He said he does not get the reaction from other sugary things, thus ruling out an insulin problem. I believe that if a child is drinking a lot of coke, he is probably not drinking a lot of milk. Even if he was, it might not have been enough to offset the damage the coke did. Children are so much more vulnerable to the effects of a bad diet because they are smaller and they are growing. If his body was already acidic, drinking just one more coke could definitely cause him to very quickly feel the responses that he discussed, especially if he did not have much calcium in his diet. I am glad he figured out that it was the coke causing his problems and stopped drinking it.
    Perhaps you are thinking of Linux123, the second poster, who got a reaction from sugary drinks. That could be an insulin problem. There was only one short post, and I am not saying that was acidosis. I don't have enough information. My reply was directed to Kyler, the original poster, and his mom. Y

Old 03-03-2003, 05:16 AM   #14
    kyler

kyler HB User
    Thank you so much for all the reactions!

As I said, I don't think it is an insuline problem, I had thought of it but I don't get these reactions from any other sugary meal. (unless maybe the sugar in coke is <that> high)

I will try freshly squized oranges as a drink, since I miss it. I hope the fresh juice will not cause these reactions.

I have a question on my vitamin supplements which I asked earlier: I take "Coenzymed DMAE" which has Pantothenic Acid in it, 1,000% of the daily value. Is this actually acid-forming in the body?

Also, in Belgium we have a vegetablemix drink called V8 (juice from eight vegetables) which contains lots of tomatojuice, which is listed as acid-forming. Is this true? If yes, to which amount? I bought it as part of my changing diet, more vegetables and fruit.

Currently I'm not drinking any soda, orange juice or coffee. I'm working out daily (lifting weights, powertraining) and running laps for cardiovascular training. I'm feeling good and my condition has never been better.

As for the pseudo science: I'd like to believe I am wary of these things. I do realise that this is not sufficient medical advice and I will seek proper counselling.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:08 PM   #15
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HI--

Almost all foods are acidic. There are very few exceptions to this. Protein is a natural buffer, but most protein foods are at least slightly acidic. Tomato juiced is certainly acidic (and very healtful), but I am having rouble thinking of a single fruit or fruit juice that is not. If you're gonna avoid all acid foods, you're gonna be a very skinny guy, (or gal).

If it doesn't upset your stomach, V-8 is probably among the better commercial juices available.

I won't argue. But, I will point out that ccommon colas, and some other sodas, have truly astonsihing aamounts of sugar per ounce. It's hard to guage because the sugar when dissolved in liquid is invisible to us, but believe me it is a huge jolt of sugar to the system. But, its silly to try to talk you into my internet/long distance diagnosis, especially since I am totally unqualified to give anyone ANY diagnosis. I was just trying to help.

In the same spirit, it does not sound like there is anything wrong with the vitamin supplements you are taking.

Relax. That would be my message. If colas give you headaches, then hey, don't drink colas! That fixes that. Now, go out and enjoy life and stop worrying so much about what juice to drink, what vitamin to take.

You're gonna be fine.

If you don't worry yourself to death.

peace

sean

Closed Thread