It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• blood clots from ketogenic diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
    ceesim

ceesim HB User
    Post blood clots from ketogenic diet?

I was on a low calorie, high protein, no fat, low carb diet. Initially experienced overall sluggishness......brain and physical. A couple of months into the diet I suffered an idiopathic (unknown cause) bilateral pulmonary embolism (blood clots in both lungs). My interpretation of the reading I've done on diets that increase ketones in blood is that they 'can block fat mobilization' and create 'sticky' blood. Wondering if anyone has had similar experience or has knowledge about the risks associated with these diets. I nearly died and its now nearly a year since the incident but am still on blood thinners (which in itself is risky) because the cause is still not certain. Just looking for information from anyone who can help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
    arkie6
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

arkie6 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ceesim:
    I was on a low calorie, high protein, no fat, low carb diet.
    Where did you come up with such a screwed up diet? Ketogenic diets, if done properly, are high in fat, not no fat for sure.

Quote:
    Initially experienced overall sluggishness......brain and physical.
    No wonder if you weren't getting any fat or carbs in your diet. Protein is not intended to be used as a fuel source. It's primary function is building tissue. It can be utilized for energy in a pinch, but not without negative health effects. Eating nothing but protein can kill you as evidenced by the numerous deaths attributed to the low calorie liquid protein diets in the 70's. There is even an old term for this called "rabbit starvation" that came about from people literally starving from eating only lean rabbits.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
    ceesim

ceesim HB User
    Thanks for your reply. The diet that I was on is very popular.....the Dr. Bernstein Diet. It's promoted as effective because it is 'medically supervised' by physicians and nurses. Initially it's very low cal.....about 800 calories a day.....no fats (they even advise against using skin creams)......low low carbs (one piece of bread per day)......lots of allowed fruits and veggies and proteins. The diet is supplemented by vitamin B6 & B12 injections three times a week, a multivitamin and a calcium & pottasium supplement (3200 mg pottasium and 600 mg calcium) per day. The web reading I've done on it suggests it's more of a 'diabetic' diet? I don't know. I lost weight.....but nearly lost my life. Not positive that this was as a result of the diet......but trying to put the pieces together. These centres are just getting more and more popular here (Toronto).
    Wasn't aware of the reference you made to deaths from the liquid diets of the '70s. Can you tell me more?
    Thanks
    Carolyn

Old 03-29-2003, 06:10 PM   #4
    arkie6
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

arkie6 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ceesim:
    Thanks for your reply. The diet that I was on is very popular.....the Dr. Bernstein Diet. It's promoted as effective because it is 'medically supervised' by physicians and nurses. Initially it's very low cal.....about 800 calories a day.....no fats (they even advise against using skin creams)......low low carbs (one piece of bread per day)......lots of allowed fruits and veggies and proteins. The diet is supplemented by vitamin B6 & B12 injections three times a week, a multivitamin and a calcium & pottasium supplement (3200 mg pottasium and 600 mg calcium) per day. The web reading I've done on it suggests it's more of a 'diabetic' diet? I don't know. I lost weight.....but nearly lost my life. Not positive that this was as a result of the diet......but trying to put the pieces together. These centres are just getting more and more popular here (Toronto).
    Wasn't aware of the reference you made to deaths from the liquid diets of the '70s. Can you tell me more?
    Thanks
    Carolyn
    I think you are confusing this Dr. Bernstein Diet (Dr. Stanley K. Bernstein of Canada) with that recommended by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein who has written the book "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution". Different doctors, different diets. Dr. Richard K. Bernstein recommends a very low carbohydrate diet for his diabetic patients, but he places no restrictions on fat since fat has virtually no effect on bloodsugar levels.

What is your reason for following this type of diet?

I would recommend the book "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" or "Protein Power" by Dr. Michael Eades for information on low carbohydrate diets.

For more info on the liquid protein diet deaths in the 1970's, just do a search on ***********. There isn't a lot of easily available information regarding it. The last I read, 58 people died from following it.

Alan

Old 03-31-2003, 10:40 AM   #5
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, I'm a low-fatter and I would even frown on this diet. You do need some fat. Cutting out all fat is just as bad as cutting out all carbs. or all protein. Your body needs a variety of food to get all the nutrients it needs. Also, 800 cal. is way too low to be on for a long time. I could see 800 cal. for just a day or two, but not long term. You have to eat something. Man, you must have been starving!

------------------
    Magpie

Old 03-31-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
    ceesim

ceesim HB User
    Actually....didn't experience hunger at all. I think it's because of the supplements and B6 and B12 injections? You lose a lot of weight quickly which is what I was drawn to. I'm having trouble finding the relevant info I'm looking for as I'm not in the medical profession.....but my instincts are telling me that the diet was responsible for my blood thickening...clotting ....and leading to embolism. I need to pursue this as it's important for us to determine the cause in order to make decisions about continuing medication and assessing risk of another episode.
    In the meantime I'm much smarter about weight maintenance......eating moderately from all food groups and exercising regularly.

Closed Thread