HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   1200 calories - Will it make me Gain? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/32170-1200-calories-will-make-me-gain.html)

jessiesgirl 04-10-2003 10:46 PM

1200 calories - Will it make me Gain?

Hi everyone. For the past year, or year and a half, I have been eating very unhealthily. I wanted to lose weight and lose it fast, so I bascially starved myself. I did lose wweight, however now I am having many problems. For such a long time I ate under 1,000 calories a day. I thought that 800 was too much. Over time it has taken a toll on my body, I have become anemic and have started to lose my hair and started getting acne. I weight 144 pounds (I'm about 5'1")right now and would like to get down to around 120 but I no longer want to be a slave to 500-800 calories a day. I want to do it healthily because I want my health back. I want to eat 1200 a day now, but I'm afraid it'll make me gain weight. Will it? I'm so used to barely eating that whenever I eat more than usual I gain weight fast (but what I mean by "eating more than usual" is eating ALOT, I go overboard, like binging. so I can see why I gain weight fast).

Will those extra caloies be stored as fat? My body is not used to getting that much food, I'm afraid that it'll start to store it as fat. For the past week I have been wanting to eat more, starting at 1,000 (and slowly work up to 1,200), but I can never do it! Everyday I get too scared to go over 900. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?!?!?

Thanks,
jessie's girl.

Rixtar 04-11-2003 06:52 AM

An 800 calorie per day diet will certainly make anyone over 80 pounds loose weight. I myself used a 800 calorie per day PHYSICAN MONITORED DIET to loose weight. The key phrase being PHYSEICAN MONITORED.

How do you know you are anemic. Did you have blood work done? If you haven't had a complete blood panel I suggest you get it done right now. Dramtically reducing caloric intake without supporting information of a complete blood work up can lead to serious complications. Some of which include damage to the liver, gall bladder, intestinal tract, osteoporosis, comprimised eye sight, skeletal problems, kidney disease, reproductive system problems and heart failure.

This is a serious matter do not dealy you may have caused long-term damage to yourself.

Absinthe 04-11-2003 06:55 AM

Words of Wisdom:
Eat when you are hungry.
Eat just enough to satisfy without feeling stuffed. Eat slowly.
Eat whole foods whenever possible.

This post is almost identical to your earlier ones. Did you not like the responses?

MarkTime 04-11-2003 07:54 AM

jessiegirl,

hi! just found this site today, I find it really interesting. I read your post, but I'm not sure I agree with your basic premise.

I mean if 800 calories a day is not healthy for you, how do you know 1200 calories is? I guess, finding the healthy amount would be something a doctor should decide since you have more significant health problems, like losing hair.

The other thing is, I would feel equally a slave to 1200 calories a day as I would 800.

I am a yo-yo dieter. I guess you could say I diet and binge...but I don't describe it that way. I go on binge diets, and then I eat whatever I want, and then binge diet again. What is binge eating?

Well I do know what you mean, but I will tell you something that I feel very strongly. Weight that is gained very fast, can be lost equally as fast.

As a regular yo-yo'er I know this to be true. Don't ever worry about a binge, because you will gain a tiny bit of weight, (my body, at least, will reject the first binge...i.e. it will come out if you know what I mean)...its not until the 2nd one that it start storing up the fat...but even if I do that...I have also brought my body out of its starvation mode. Once it leaves that mode, you can trick your body into some real quick weight losses all over again.

That's what most people forget, yes, when you starve yourself you go into starvation mode and you lose weight only very slowly.

But when you binge, you gain, but you also break the starvation mode, you can then do a quick diet again, and fool your body into losing a few pounds until you go into starvation mode again.

So don't every get down on yourself for anything. Even a binge can be healthy. I can binge just long enough to leave my starvation mode and then crash diet, and end up losing more weight than I gained over all...people think the yo-yo only goes up in the long run...WRONG, I can yo-yo my way back down too.

I must seem wackadoo...and maybe I am, this could be ephedrine talking...and I've never heard anyone else give my advice, but its worked for me for years. I yo-yo all the time, for me at 5'11" male, I have an upper limit of 200lbs where I decide I am too fat, then I go on a real strict diet for a while, but other than that, I bounce around between 160lb-200lb and never worry about it.

jessiesgirl 04-11-2003 10:23 AM

Rixtar - my diet was not even usually 800, it was below that. Like I said I thought 800 was too much. I did it on my own without a doctor and stupidly did not take any vitamins. I don't know for sure that I'm anemic, but I suspect it because of my hair loss which I'm sure is because iron deficiency (I've been reading up about it ALOT) and because I bruise alot and easily. I have not had blood work done so I don't know exactly what damages I have done, but I do know that I did something to my gallbladder because I had to get it taken out.

Absinthe, yeah I did post something similar before and it was helpful, but I did NOT say in my other post that I wanted to go to 1200 calories. I hadn't made that decision yet, but now I know what I want to to do, and I just wanted to know, specifically, if I raise it to 1200, if I'll gain weight.

jessiesgirl 04-11-2003 10:35 AM

Hi Mark Time, thanks for your post. I don't KNOW if 1200 calories is healthy for me, but I know that it sure is healthier than 800. I read somewhere that 1200 is the lowest you can go and still be healthy, which sounds like something I should start, because I don't want to make it too high either.

I know that I wouldn't feel a slave to 1200 calories, because to me, that's alot of food. Yesterday I tried to eat 1000 and I couldn't, because I was just never hungry enough! I had to really force food down even when I wasn't hungry..just to get the calories. To me it'd be a blessing if I could start eating 1200 again!

I don't understand what you mean by saying that you go on binge diets and then eat whatever you want then binge diet again. I think you have it backwards. Binging is when you eat whatever you want, and you eat alot of it. When you binge eat, that means you can sit down and eat everything in sight, it is an eating disorder problem. I've never heard the term "binge dieting" but I think you mean you go on crash diets?

Whenever I would binge (I would eat alot, all day, because I knew once I had that chocolate, or whatever, I had already "ruined my day" so that triggers me to binge the rest of the day) I would gain like 2 pounds. It would usually take me about 5 days to a week to lose it again.

I know that you can binge, and then get on a quick diet and lose it again, and so on and so forth, but that is yo-yo dieting, and I would rather much get out of yo-yo dieting. I don't really want my body to be in starvation mode anymore. And I definitely don't want to bounce between 40 lbs!!! I'm glad it works for you but that would not work for me :)

You are taking ephedrine? Please be cautious about that! That is pretty risky stuff.

jessie's (ex)-girl (need to change the name!!)

Omskakas 04-13-2003 02:01 PM

In my honest opinion, you are on a very unhealthy type of diet. You're eating wayyyyyy too little calories and I doubt that you are getting enough macro and micro nutrients from your diet.

Second, your body is in a starvation mode. It has shut down or lowered those body functions that are not that essential for your survival.

My advice to you is to up your calory intake to 1500-2000 (yes, that high) per day for a whole week. This will probably get you off from the starvation mode. If you want to continue dieting after that, try to take [b]at least[/b] 1200 calories per day.

And eat healthy and take vitamin and mineral supplements if you think you're not getting enough of those.